E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Great start to 1st week of BMW ownership....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great start to my 1st week of BMW ownership, just got in car about an hour ago to drive home from work at which point I got the dreaded 'bing bong'

The message was 'SOS call not working' and my phone won't bluetooth in!!!!

Also on top of this there's no sound from the radio or CD!

What on earth can have happened?

Have booked it in to BMW on Monday, will it be covered under warranty?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Contributors

_EVERY_ fault will be covered under warranty. Don't worry. Probably something very minor. Out of interest did you have a GPS tracker fitted by the dealer? We had a couple of minor electrical issues on delivery of our E70, was caused by the dealer fitting the GPS tracker _after_ pre delivery inspection and not putting a wire back properly. Even if it's not had GPS, it's most likely a loose wire and something minor.

I took my car in for squeaky brakes. Even though they were functioning fine, the noise was annoying. First they did resurfacing on the pads but the noise came back - so I took it back in and they fitted new pads AND new discs. All under warranty at no cost. They also gave the car a full valet inside and out whilst it was there. This was at Halliwell Jones in Warrington (even though I didn't even buy the car from them).
Old 11-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Members

Just done a quick search on this forum, apparently it's a fairly known fault and in a lot of cases the TCU has to be replaced.....great

Will see what Bowker Preston have to say on Monday as they've got it for the day to sort....

I do hope any software updates they do don't affect my DMS remap!!

As the remap was done by the previous owner I wouldn't be able to get it done for free if it was wiped
Old 11-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Contributors

Ah ok, was under the impression it was a brand new car. Update your signature with car year / details for more accurate responses!

The DMS remap is done on the engine management computer. It is completely separate to _all_ main computer / software. You could have a totally new TCU, CCC, iDrive, and anything else. As long as they don't swap out the engine chip (which probably never / or very rarely happens), it'll be fine.

Also - although you might not be able to get the car remapped for free (are you sure? Have you asked?), I expect it would be heavily discounted as they will already have your map stored on their database, so it'd be a 15 minute vs 2 hour procedure.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Sorry to see you are already at the dealer in your 1st week of ownership. I really hate having to spend the time hasseling with car problems and dealers - I don't care who is paying for the repairs. I fly a lot for work and do not have any spare time to be spending at my local BMW dealer (25 miles away)....after spending time on this forum...I'm getting nervous that these cars have lot's of "glitches" and have to be taken into the dealer at an alarming frequency. I hope these are just the exceptions...seems BMW may have a vehicle that is overly sophisticated which means more things to have faults with. I really don't want to get to know my dealer on a first name basis Only time will tell I guess!
Old 11-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Contributors

Indeed ... there have been many many discussions about it. But if it's any consolation, at work, three people have recently bought brand new Ford's (Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo). All less than 2 months old. All have been back to the dealer at least once (misfiring engine, central locking wouldn't lock, windows not working). I think it's safe to say that just "things are built the way they used to be". With lots more things to GO wrong, relatively I think it has to be expected that more things WILL go wrong. Having put up with trips to the dealer, but in their defence very good handling and quick hassle free fixes, I am prepared to put up with it.

On the other hand, I certainly would not buy an older E60 that is out of warranty, and I certainly would not keep an E60 past three years. You say "I don't care who is paying for the repairs" but trust me, you would if it were coming out of your pocket...!!
Old 11-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Members

No not new car this time, having had my new RS4 for just 3 months followed by a new A5 for 2 months, I really couldn't justify blowing a small fortune again on a new 535D, so decided to buy one that someones already taken a big hit on hence a 55 plater with just 18k miles with good spec.....

The 2 previous Audi's didn't spend any time at the dealer but seem to have come a little unlucky this time with my 1st BMW!

As long as this issue gets resolved quickly I won't let it tarnish my view of the car in any way! Till and if it happens again that is

One things for sure, if i manage to keep it 12 months, I'll certainly be renewing the warranty......
Old 11-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Contributors

Off topic but how come you got rid of the RS4 and A5 so quickly?? I had a brand new A4 which I only kept for 6 months - found it a bit boring, but main reason for swapping it was the arrival of an unexpected addition to our family. Three kids in the back of a saloon car? No thanks. We traded it for an XC90! (which is now an X5). Three rows of seats, roof mounted DVD player, BLISS
Old 11-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Members

RS4 was a fab car and something you've got to try......had to experience it for myself

But as I cover about 500 miles a week and it was my daily driver.....20mpg was getting on my nerves a little along with the 2/3 trips to the BP station....

The A5 was an impulse buy as it was new and a damned good looking car (got the 3.0 tdi sport) but the 2 doors got on my nerves in the end (2 boys to ferry around :-))

Also I've always been a fan of big cars and was looking for a 535d before I ended up with the RS4.....
Old 11-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='491787' date='Nov 8 2007, 11:14 AM
Indeed ... there have been many many discussions about it. But if it's any consolation, at work, three people have recently bought brand new Ford's (Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo). All less than 2 months old. All have been back to the dealer at least once (misfiring engine, central locking wouldn't lock, windows not working). I think it's safe to say that just "things are built the way they used to be". With lots more things to GO wrong, relatively I think it has to be expected that more things WILL go wrong. Having put up with trips to the dealer, but in their defence very good handling and quick hassle free fixes, I am prepared to put up with it.

On the other hand, I certainly would not buy an older E60 that is out of warranty, and I certainly would not keep an E60 past three years. You say "I don't care who is paying for the repairs" but trust me, you would if it were coming out of your pocket...!!

Russ, of course you are right they all break GM's, Volvo, Ford, Merc's and BMW's, etc.....I just fear that the BMW is so technologically advanced that there are more systems to have issues with. I don't like spending my time messing around with dealers (some good - many completely clueless) - just don't have the spare time to visit my dealer multiple times per month. I'm hoping my 535i is going to be as reliable as my Ford F-150 which has gone 2 1/2 years (26K miles) before it's 1st trip to the dealer for a broken window regulator. They fixed it in one day (no charge -my kind of cost ) and even washed it for me. And you are right, I do care about paying for repairs - but the time is almost worth more to me than the $$'s...within reason of course. Don't get me wrong though, I AM very much looking forward to owning my 1st "Performance Driving Machine"...that is if it ever arrives - seems to be taking forever

Quick Reply: Great start to 1st week of BMW ownership....