E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The great EQ logic7 topic

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As i am waiting for my car i researched the forum all postings about logic7 and the EQ.

I will post 3 settings that i found on different topics about the way the EQ can/must be set to improve the sound qualety.

These settings are personal that means what other will think is a good setting, then other people will think these settings are not good for them. Everybody s ears are different

I do have a question. I found in these postings with EQ settings the sentense put the logic settings itself at 7 or 8 level. WHat exacly does the logic setting itself do?

Also i would like to ask people to post a picture or description of their settings and their comments with the settings on what kind of music they listen most to with their settings.

Courtesy of Brian Lewis:

EQ:
100hz: +3
200hz: +6
500hz: +7
1Khz: +3
2Khz: +5
5Khz: +9
10Khz: +10

(bar on the zero middle line DOES NOT count, so these are +3 bars, +6 bars, etc)
Treble = Setting 5
Bass = Setting 5
Logic7 = Setting 7 <------------ WHAT DOES THIS DO?

Courtesy of Z8Mania:

EQ:
100hz: +1 (this is because I have reduced the bass control)
200hz: 0
500hz: 0
1khz: -1
5khz: 0
10khz: +1

For the other controls:
Trebble: +3
Bass: -5
Balance: 0
Fader: 0
Speed volume: 3
Logic 7: 8 (this one is really dependent on where the listener sits in the car- in general most people will prefer between 7 and 9.)

Re: Equalizer Settings... I had my friend set mine. He is definitely what audiophiles call a 'golden ear'. I can give more details on his background if anyone wants to know. Professional symphoic french horn player. Rock/jazz drummer. He also helped me pick components and interconnects for my home system. Here they are with a couple of notes below...

100hz +8
200hz +5
500hz +7
1Khz +9
2Khz +9
5Khz +7
10Khz +1
Fader +4 (to front)
Old 03-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Senior Members

On a general note it seems that for people who like a in your face bass its necesairy to put the general extra tremble and bass settings higher. This however has nothing to do with the EQ settings with are more a fine tuning of the sound.

Overal i am still a bit confused about the fader settings. A number 1 rule for good sound qualety is that music has to come from in front of you , basicly that means your front windshield of the car and that music coming from behind you is not good for audio fanatics. I am still confused with the fader possibiletys of the logic system. If you dont fade and leave the fader at neutral does the music come from the windshield in concert hall settings (because the amp devides the most of the power to the front speakers and maybe because the front speakers are more powerfull then the rear speakers) or does the music come from everywhere putting you in the middle (witch basicly is not good)?
Old 03-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think you said it best at the beginning -- everyone's ears are different and you need to adjust things to what sounds good to you personally, not what someone else says to adjust things to.

Your friend may have a "golden ear" but does that mean his settings are right? I'm not judging his expertise but then again, most rock drummers I know have some sort of hearing impairment...

BTW, I think the logic 7 setting you are questioning (setting 7) is from a 7-Series and not the E60. Since the two cars are totally different and one of the purposes of an equalizer is to adjust or tailor the sound to the listening environment -- I assume that the EQ settings suggested by those posters would be better suited to the 7-Series as well.

Either way, it's clear to me that each individual prefers a different setting based on individual tastes, hearing, music sources, and music choices.

There's simply no way to say "This is the best way to set your EQ because I'm an expert."

My $.02...
Old 03-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

Yes i understand but i am intrested to play with some settings that people on the forum think are good. I dont want to experiment with a million combinations. I just want to find out 4 or 5 settings of other people and put them in the system and pick the best one. Could save me hours of work.

ps that not my friends ear: i just copyd other postings with described that sentense
Old 03-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Senior Members

BTW, I think the logic 7 setting you are questioning (setting 7) is from a 7-Series and not the E60. Since the two cars are totally different and one of the purposes of an equalizer is to adjust
--
does that mean on the 5 series you do not have a logic level setting?
If it does have that what does it do? We covered bass, tremble, eq but what else is there that they call logic level?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pmmeke' date='Mar 6 2005, 01:01 PM
Yes i understand but i am intrested to play with some settings that people on the forum think are good. I dont want to experiment with a million combinations. I just want to find out 4 or 5 settings of other people and put them in the system and pick the best one. Could save me hours of work.

ps that not my friends ear: i just copyd other postings with described that sentense
[snapback]97926[/snapback]
Good idea for a thread, and it's difficult to argue with Rudy's points, but it is helpful to get some idea of what others seem to like and give it a try. By the way I think some of these came from 7 series owners if I remember the original threads correctly (and based on the Logic 7 settings above which for the 5 are more limited) so the acoustics of the car themselves will be different but I am also interested in other owner's settings (and the kind of music they typically play to get some context around the settings. Will post mine later.
cheers
Old 03-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The so-called "french horn playing audiophile golden ear" has some strange settings chosen. Notice that he did not lower the level on any of the settings? This means that much of his "fine tuning" could simply have been solved by turning up the volume.

When you adjust an EQ, all you are doing it raising or lowering the volume of a certain frequency band. Since this guy raised the level on all of his settings, he could have simply turned the volume up a bit more... and left the EQ settings lower, but in similar spacing increments.

In a car audio competition, EQ settings are tested subjectively and objectively.

Objectively, they use an RTA meter to test the consistency of the EQ curve. A smooth curve, with no sharp spikes is the goal.

Subjectively, they listen to the system for overall tonal qualities.

But setting your EQ has more to do with the quality of the audio source, even more than your own personal listening preference. It depends on how the CD was mastered. For that reason, it is pointless for anyone here to tell you their EQ settings.... unless they listen to the EXACT same CD that you do.

Then you might want to change the CD every so often... and you're settings will no longer be ideal. This is why I had a 5 band EQ installed under my headunit in my last car... even though I had two, 30-band EQs installed for fine-tuning. I had the 5 band EQ so I could adjust while driving. For competition, I would bypass the 5 band, and just use the dual, third-octave EQs. Then for daily use, I would hit the defeat switch and use the 5 band.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

yes thanks would be very helpfull
Old 03-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Mar 6 2005, 10:15 PM
The so-called "french horn playing audiophile golden ear" has some strange

But setting your EQ has more to do with the quality of the audio source, even more than your own personal listening preference.? It depends on how the CD was mastered.? For that reason, it is pointless for anyone here to tell you their EQ settings....? unless they listen to the EXACT same CD that you do.
[snapback]97932[/snapback]
I understand and i believe you but i do think their could be some general guidelines for the settings as the speakers themselfs sound or very clear with example metal tweeters or softer with soft cloth silk tweeters and the amps themselfs could make a difference as they have their own specifikations and the dsp itself could be designed in a way it maybe overdoes or underdoes things a certain way

a certain comments on most topics about the eq seems to be a V shape settings might be the way to go as voices seems overdone by the system?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Mar 6 2005, 01:15 PM
The so-called "french horn playing audiophile golden ear" has some strange settings chosen.? Notice that he did not lower the level on any of the settings?? This means that much of his "fine tuning" could simply have been solved by turning up the volume.

When you adjust an EQ, all you are doing it raising or lowering the volume of a certain frequency band.? Since this guy raised the level on all of his settings, he could have simply turned the volume up a bit more...? and left the EQ settings lower, but in similar spacing increments.

In a car audio competition, EQ settings are tested subjectively and objectively.

Objectively, they use an RTA meter to test the consistency of the EQ curve.? A smooth curve, with no sharp spikes is the goal.

Subjectively, they listen to the system for overall tonal qualities.

But setting your EQ has more to do with the quality of the audio source, even more than your own personal listening preference.? It depends on how the CD was mastered.? For that reason, it is pointless for anyone here to tell you their EQ settings....? unless they listen to the EXACT same CD that you do.
[snapback]97932[/snapback]
Agreed, and I know from your many posts on audio that you know what you are talking about, but I wonder how many of us are really that interested in car audio competitions, significant aftermarket mods or RTA meters - but are basically happy with what we have but like tweaking it a little by trying out some other users' settings

Quick Reply: The great EQ logic7 topic