E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Greasing up steering shaft u-joints

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

I have a clicking in my steering. After searching found out that the u-joints on the steering shaft dry out and just need to be re-greased. I was able to grease the top u-joint by taking the kick panel off but it seams the bottom one is on the other side of the fire wall. Just wondering if the bottom u-joint is accessible from underneath the car? I have the sport package and don't want to take all the under-body paneling off if I don't have to.

Also, recently changed the tie rods. Steering is very tight, just clicks when low speed maneuvering.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

So after no replies I decided to just tackle it. Ended up having to take the under body paneling off and then had to remove the belly pan and loosen the left lower splash shield to access the lower u-joint. I was able to grease it up, but the clunk is still there. Not as bad, but still there. Might end up having to replace the steering shaft. So if you have the clunk and your sure its not your tie rods, grease up the joints before they get beyond repair. :thumbsdown:
Old 05-24-2012, 04:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 545iMike
So after no replies I decided to just tackle it. Ended up having to take the under body paneling off and then had to remove the belly pan and loosen the left lower splash shield to access the lower u-joint. I was able to grease it up, but the clunk is still there. Not as bad, but still there. Might end up having to replace the steering shaft. So if you have the clunk and your sure its not your tie rods, grease up the joints before they get beyond repair. :thumbsdown:
My e60 has the same low-speed steering clunk as you described. You mentioned that you greased the steering joint...how did you grease it?
Old 05-24-2012, 04:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

White lithium grease. Just work it into each u-joint by hand. Mainly the bottom one because there is no dust boot or anything covering it. Its exposed to the elements.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 08 528i
Model Year: 2008

I had a clunk on the steering wheel and was repaired by changing the steering lower joint assembly

lowerjoint
Old 05-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 545iMike
White lithium grease. Just work it into each u-joint by hand. Mainly the bottom one because there is no dust boot or anything covering it. Its exposed to the elements.
Thanks 545iMike, I'll give it a try and hope it helps with the clunking.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by justoracle
I had a clunk on the steering wheel and was repaired by changing the steering lower joint assembly

lowerjoint
Yeah, that's the part I'm talking about. I might end up having to replace it. I'll try tightening it as it was mentioned in your thread before I do though. See if it helps.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you remove the covering below the steering wheel, what screws are holding it in place? Planning on greasing my u-joints tomorrow hopefully.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

I would show you with TIS online but it appears its no longer available. If I remember correctly there is a carpeted panel to your left that butts up with the center console. There is 1 or 2 screws near the firewall end of it that have to be removed then you slide the piece towards the front of the car to remove it. Then just remove all the screws holding the kick panel and disconnect the wires for the kick panel speaker. I I believe the screws are phillips.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

BMW TIS. How to remove the panels. Get google to translate it. Its in russian. Only online TIS is in russian.

Quick Reply: Greasing up steering shaft u-joints