E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Got rid of my 545i, do I get a 550?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping I can get some opinions from this board, as this is the only one I trust. I had a 2004, 545i 6 speed manual with premium sound, sport, and cold. I absloutely LOVED the car, but encountered a number of problems. These problems included squeaks, rattles, and a whole host of what I consider to be software issues - losing of settings, several active roll stabiliation failures, servotronic failure, etc) The car was at the dealership time and time again, some visits were for an entire week, all to have the same issues come back. When paying $64K for a car, especially a BMW, I expect NOT to see any of this. Because of all the hassle, I decided to get rid of it and move back to a 330i. Do I like my 330? Yep. Is it a 545i? Not even close. I had wondered for quite some time why the 4.8l engine was not available in the 5, I was pleasantly surprised when saw the 550 on the site. So with the understanding that I have some searching of this forum to do to look for issues like I had before, I am hoping that I can get some advice from those on this forum. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Senior Members

It's obvious that you really enjoyed the 545. Downside was that there were several problems you encountered. I would honestly suggest picking up a 550. I am sure a lot of the problems you have seen in your old 545 were taken care of over time. Also, the standard features in the 550 are what those of us owning 545's dream of. Well I know I dream of having a mp3 cd player. In any case, I would highly suggest taking another plunge in the 5 series. But, it is ultimately your decision. Best of luck with it.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Contributors

sorry to heear of your so many problems. I agree if you pay $64K for a car....i want max quality.

best of luck..
Old 09-17-2005, 05:14 PM
Senior Members

Yep as much quality as possible, i mean no SERIOUS problems aaand max perofrmance (acceleration, braking, handling and so on...).

I would suggest also to go for the 550i. Now i for one wonder why does so many people want the 550i and don't go for the m5. I mean yeah there is price to consider and the fact that the m5 is more hardcore...but if you already have no issue with fuel consumption (on a 550i) and the m5 is afordable with a little more struggle why not have the M5?

I would have opted for the 545i if the difference in fuel consuption wouldn't be so big, and the raise in gas prices.
Not to mention about the M5...but that thing is trully astonishing. Drove one yesturday and it's just simply and organ reassembler...truly!!! After i walked back in my 535d i felt like i was standing still at full thorttle...nearly ....aaandd the noise WOW breath-taking.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 17 2005, 06:14 PM
Yep as much quality as possible, i mean no SERIOUS problems aaand max perofrmance (acceleration, braking, handling and so on...).

I would suggest also to go for the 550i. Now i for one wonder why does so many people want the 550i and don't go for the m5. I mean yeah there is price to consider and the fact that the m5 is more hardcore...but if you already have no issue with fuel consumption (on a 550i) and the m5 is afordable with a little more struggle why not have the M5?

I would have opted for the 545i if the difference in fuel consuption wouldn't be so big, and the raise in gas prices.
Not to mention about the M5...but that thing is trully astonishing. Drove one yesturday and it's just simply and organ reassembler...truly!!! After i walked back in my 535d i felt like i was standing still at full thorttle...nearly ....aaandd the noise WOW breath-taking.
[snapback]171834[/snapback]

Well who wouldn't want to get the latest M5? I know it if possible, money permitted, I would have jumped on that band wagon. I guess that fact that they are sold out for almost 2 years in advance is some what a dead ringer. But I will say it is a great price for the performance. 82K base price well worth it, not forgetting those wonderful add-ons of course.

I think the 545/550 is a more down to earth 5 series. I guess you can look at 7 and say "at least I haven't had as many problems as that model."

Just my two-pennies
Old 09-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I'd get the 550 -- go for it. I did the same thing. Had the 525 with a bunch of issues, then ordered the 2006 530i. Maybe BMW has learned a few things with the E60 over the last two years. I bet the 550 will be AWESOME.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 545i, 2004. Alpine white, ventilated seats, confort seats, bluetooth, HI-FI Audio, Electrical Rear Blinds, manual Side blinds, Sport Package, Confort Glass,Active steering, Business Navigation
Smile

I am driving a 545 2004, and i am facing a problem with it. this is the fourth time at the dealer but this is the longest 3 weeks!!! :thumbsdown:

i have rattle noise coming from the front end when the car over-heats,and till date they (dealer) are not being able to fix it.

i am seriously thinking of changing the car but the problem is i love 545 in all means (performance, handling, etc..) i dont know if this is my luck or the 545 2004 production is having a problem.

550 was an option for me but due to my experience i started to feel little unconfortable with the dealer, i have douths that they dont have the right people in the job, whatever the new car will be 550 or M5 or even X5 4.8 i will be dealing with the same people.

so i am totaly confused and MB is not my style of car so i am feeling upset about that
Old 09-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 17 2005, 06:14 PM
Now i for one wonder why does so many people want the 550i and don't go for the m5. I mean yeah there is price to consider and the fact that the m5 is more hardcore...but if you already have no issue with fuel consumption (on a 550i) and the m5 is afordable with a little more struggle why not have the M5?
[snapback]171834[/snapback]
I would go for the 550i irrespective of price. Its a far smoother more comfortable drive than the M5. For everyday driving in LA, the M5 is far too harsh.

I just love my car and in a couple of years will be in a new 5.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

Overall quality of the 545i is good, you just got unlucky (can happen with any make/model). I've only had very minor issues with mine.

In my mind, there's not another sport sedan in the $65K range that's even close. If you don't buy the 550i, you'll be disappointed.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:41 AM
Members

Thanks to all for your responses. I think my plan is to wait until the end of winter to actually order the 550 as I live in PA and will not be driving it in the winter. As for the M5, sure, I would love one!!! However it is just plain too expensive for me. A few questions for those that may be able to help:

1) When I had my 545i, I had the Sport Package which came with active steering. Unless I am reading something incorrectly, it appears that active steering is now only an option. Is this correct? Has anyone driven the 545/550 with Sport with and without active steering? What were the differences? I never had any problems with the active steering as others seemed to. For me, as long as I was paying attention to the feedback the car was giving me, I steered accordingly, and liked the idea of not having to take my hands off the wheel when driving aggressively around hard corners.

2) What do you think of the "start/stop" button? Does the engine truly always shut off when you hit the button? If I am going 90mph and I hit the button, does the engine just plain shut down?

3) I did not get the Nav on the 545 but am leaning toward it. Does it work well and is it accurate? Is it worth the $1800?

4) Does the cd player actually recognize MP3 cd's? My 2005 330i still does not. Does the changer now recognize Mp3 cd's as well?

Again, I really appreciate all the great feedback you guys and gals provide!

Quick Reply: Got rid of my 545i, do I get a 550?