E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Got off runflats after 27k km and crisp feel gone

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 09:30 AM
zag
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

After only 27k km on the ODO (15 months ownership), I was shocked to discover both my rear tyre has worn to the cloth at their inner section. Worse on the rear left.
Without much research on replacement, I ran down to my regular tyre shop and was recommended Michelin PS and P Zero Rosso.
I decided against going back on run flats and settled for the Rosso.

After driving for a day or two now on the rosso, this is what i found:

- the OEM Dunlop run flats was harsh and noticeably noisier
- no doubt the rosso is quieter, the steering crispiness is lost with the rosso. i missed the "go-cart feel" when doing a quick slalom. Apparently the stiffer side wall on the runflats reduced body leaning as compared to non run flats. Eventhough i am ARS equipped
- the rosso felt damped against the tarmac; while the runflats transmit all the roughness vibration.

Anyone here can attest to this moving away from runflats? and i wonder if your replacement gave you the same crisp steering feels as the runflats. if so what is the make?
Old 02-21-2005, 12:24 PM

Yeah, the runflats do give crisp steering, undoubtedly because they have such stiff sidewalls. If you want the crisp steering back, plus even BETTER handling than the OEM runflats, try Michelin PS2s. But, they make more tread noise than the OEM runflats do when new.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zag' date='Feb 21 2005, 12:30 PM
After only 27k km on the ODO (15 months ownership), I was shocked to discover both my rear tyre has worn to the cloth at their inner section. Worse on the rear left.
Without much research on replacement, I ran down to my regular tyre shop and was recommended Michelin PS and P Zero Rosso.
I decided against going back on run flats and settled for the Rosso.

After driving for a day or two now on the rosso, this is what i found:

- the OEM Dunlop run flats was harsh and noticeably noisier
- no doubt the rosso is quieter, the steering crispiness is lost with the rosso. i missed the "go-cart feel" when doing a quick slalom. Apparently the stiffer side wall on the runflats reduced body leaning as compared to non run flats. Eventhough i am ARS equipped
- the rosso felt damped against the tarmac; while the runflats transmit all the roughness vibration.

Anyone here can attest to this moving away from runflats? and i wonder if your replacement gave you the same crisp steering feels as the runflats. if so what is the make?
[snapback]92846[/snapback]
This is pretty interesting. Although I've bashed the runflats at every opportunity, I can say that the steering response is better with the runflats.

With my 'winter' setup, I'm using the OEM 18" wheels, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. The steering response is way, way softer than it was with the 18" runflats, due probably to the stiffer sidewall of the runflats. I replaced the runflats with 19" wheels and tires, and the steering response was even crisper, and the ride, noise and handling improved significantly over the runflats. Given what I've experienced with my 18" Michelins, I prefer the handling of the runflats.