E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Got my Brake Pedal Recall letter today

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Vacuum pump replacement is one of the easiest replacements you can do DIY. Don't spend the $920 at the dealer. A new pump and a o-ring seal is around $350 I believe. Your pump is located in the front/left of the engine. Just need to undo 2 vacuum hoses and a few hex-bolts on the pump and it comes right out. There is a DIY on the forum as well I think.

Keep us posted with the error codes.

BTW, how many miles you have on the clock for the E60?
Old 11-21-2010, 02:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
Vacuum pump replacement is one of the easiest replacements you can do DIY. Don't spend the $920 at the dealer. A new pump and a o-ring seal is around $350 I believe. Your pump is located in the front/left of the engine. Just need to undo 2 vacuum hoses and a few hex-bolts on the pump and it comes right out. There is a DIY on the forum as well I think.

Keep us posted with the error codes.

BTW, how many miles you have on the clock for the E60?
59,950 miles on my 2005 545i SMG at the time of this service.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

It's good to see BMW is being so defensive and accomodating, but it shouldn't be a big surprise considering what happened to Toyota sales after their stuck accelerator debacle. This isn't an economy where BMW can afford a big scandal that affects sales for months or years afterward. I hope I get a loaner, but I've been totally DIY regarding maintenance and repair for several years and expect the dealer to leave me on my own.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i (everything), 08 Corvette (4LT, F55, MN6, NPP)

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Got my car back yesterday from the dealer. They replaced the recall part, but also said my vacuum pump was shot. $920 bill to fix that.
I pull out of the car lot and my car is stopping much better now, which is great.
Unfortunately, about 60 seconds down the road I get 2 warning messages. Dynamic Brake Control malfunction, and Drive Control System malfunction. Both messages say to see nearest BMW center. So I turned around and went back to show my service advisor. He said to bring the car back on Monday morning and they will take care of it.

To be continued.....
I'm in exactly the same situation you are. Low mileage but older car (04 545i with 50k) in which the dealer told me the vacuum pump will need to be replaced (in addition to the recall). Makes you wonder of one isn't caused by the other. Keep us updated.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Contributors

Hmmm. 45K (miles) on my '04 545i. I'll be ready for them telling me about the vacuum pump.

Anyone know if it's safe to decline the vacuum pump replacement advice ? I'm running without warranty and now started having work done (most recent service) at a non-BMW garage. If I really do need it, I'd rather pay them half what BMW would want. Before anyone suggests I do it myself, naaaa, don't get my hands dirty under the hood anymore.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Unless you have a leak on the pump (i.e. you see oil residue underneath the pump), I'd say you are good. The DIY for the vacuum pump is a 2.5 on a scale of 1 to 5. It's cost of the part that'll kill ya. $350 to $400 depending on who you get it from. I've seen a few threads on the forum whose owners "rebuilt" it by simply sealing the leak on the front panel of the pump with a new o-ring. One caveat though, the o-ring for the front panel is NOT sold at the dealership. You will have to hunt one down with the same diameter and thickness.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Contributors

All done, no discussion of vacuum pump :-)
Old 11-23-2010, 02:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Got my car back.

They had to adjust a brake sensor. No charge to fix that, thankfully.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545/SMG Sport Package HUD Logic 7 Bluetooth NAV Cold Weather Package

I got my letter on Saturday, but I replaced my brake booster a year and a half ago. I have to check with my Indy to confirm whether or not the booster was OEM. I could use that money for something else.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kxmills
I got my letter on Saturday, but I replaced my brake booster a year and a half ago. I have to check with my Indy to confirm whether or not the booster was OEM. I could use that money for something else.
My letter came today. Now I hope I don't have the failure before I can get in for an appointment. Since I did not purchase or service the car at my local dealer I'm not expecting a loaner.

Quick Reply: Got my Brake Pedal Recall letter today