E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Got my Brake Pedal Recall letter today

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

After seeing the scan of that letter, I feel much better now since I see they put "Guido" in charge of things!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
I had no idea there was a recall for my car until I took it to my dealer today because I almost rear-ended someone today, and then almost went through a red light because my brakes were not working correctly.

This morning while driving home after my workout at the gym, I was approaching an intersection and the light turned yellow. I pressed my brakes, but the car did not stop as quickly as normal. I drifted way past the intended stopping point, and almost went into the intersection. While pressing my brake pedal, I felt some resistance. It was as if the car was telling me not to push the brake so hard, and then wouldn't let me. I was standing on the brake and the car was not stopping fast enough. It was very frightening.

I had several more incidents like that today, so I took my car to the dealer. They told me there was a recall announced.

Hopefully that means BMW is fixing this for free? My car is no longer under warranty. 2005 545i.

The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I got on the phone with BMWNA customer relations and told them they almost killed me coming off the freeway. They coordinated with my local dealership and fixed the car (even without the recall letter in hand) and gave me a loaner to drive around for a week. I know exactly what you felt. It was terrifying knowing that I was going to overshoot my intended stopping point. I had to pull the e-brake to stop.

Make sure you ask to escalate your case with a manager at BMWNA if the dealership gives you the run around. Be firm. Don't be afraid to let them know how you feel. Trust me, BMWNA does NOT want this recall turning into a class action suit. Good luck
Old 11-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy
After seeing the scan of that letter, I feel much better now since I see they put "Guido" in charge of things!
Sure, they're giving Guido a chance to shine. Don't worry though, Kurt Hofmann's watching his every move. Kurt's the man if Guido tries giving anyone shit.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Members

Took my car n for an alignment today at dealer. They told me IHave a recall for brake booster.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Senior Members

Same here. I took my E60 in for a follow up today and they told me my car was part of the recall (I knew it already) and gave me a free loaner. They also told me to bring in my E65 as well for the recall so I did. Now I have 2 loaners in my garage. My SA is great! All this without the stinkin' letter.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
All this without the stinkin' letter.
Are you questioning the stink situation of my letter ? I'll have you know it has a delightful floral bouquet of spring freshness with only the slightest hint of regret
Old 11-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Members

Dealer says they are waiting for a part so car won't b ready until Monday. Have a loaner so I'm not mad.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Are you questioning the stink situation of my letter ? I'll have you know it has a delightful floral bouquet of spring freshness with only the slightest hint of regret
Not at all actually.
I was referring to the delightful aroma of them giving me an excuse that I needed the letter to do anything.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JAY'545
Dealer says they are waiting for a part so car won't b ready until Monday. Have a loaner so I'm not mad.

Same here. Both of my cars need the new vacuum hose so they are sitting at the dealership until Monday. However, I have a nice pair of brand new E90 328i sitting in the garage as consolation.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I got on the phone with BMWNA customer relations and told them they almost killed me coming off the freeway. They coordinated with my local dealership and fixed the car (even without the recall letter in hand) and gave me a loaner to drive around for a week. I know exactly what you felt. It was terrifying knowing that I was going to overshoot my intended stopping point. I had to pull the e-brake to stop.

Make sure you ask to escalate your case with a manager at BMWNA if the dealership gives you the run around. Be firm. Don't be afraid to let them know how you feel. Trust me, BMWNA does NOT want this recall turning into a class action suit. Good luck
Got my car back yesterday from the dealer. They replaced the recall part, but also said my vacuum pump was shot. $920 bill to fix that.
I pull out of the car lot and my car is stopping much better now, which is great.
Unfortunately, about 60 seconds down the road I get 2 warning messages. Dynamic Brake Control malfunction, and Drive Control System malfunction. Both messages say to see nearest BMW center. So I turned around and went back to show my service advisor. He said to bring the car back on Monday morning and they will take care of it.

To be continued.....

Quick Reply: Got my Brake Pedal Recall letter today