E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Got my Brake Pedal Recall letter today

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usual/expected stuff : "make an appointment asap, all paid for" etc.

I expect y'all in the states probably already got them months ago, but here in Deutschland they only just started.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

I don't believe anyone of us here in the states have received the recall letter yet.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

I would have thought they would taken care of the mother land first. Guess not
Old 11-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Usual/expected stuff : "make an appointment asap, all paid for" etc.

I expect y'all in the states probably already got them months ago, but here in Deutschland they only just started.

How did BMW know you (still) have a 545i? Did you buy it from them directly and/or do you regularly service it with an Approved BMW Service garage?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xBMWx
How did BMW know you (still) have a 545i? Did you buy it from them directly and/or do you regularly service it with an Approved BMW Service garage?
I bought it from a BMW dealer and have it serviced at a (different) BMW dealer.

However, the letter states that it got the names and addresses of the current owners of the affected cars from the German equivalent of the UK's DVLA and US's DMV.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Contributors

Oh, I forgot to mention, they said it would take about 4 hours.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:22 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by DD_545i
I bought it from a BMW dealer and have it serviced at a (different) BMW dealer.

However, the letter states that it got the names and addresses of the current owners of the affected cars from the German equivalent of the UK's DVLA and US's DMV.

Ok, understood. That helps me understand how I "should" be found & approached, even though I am no longer in Germany but in Denmark. Thanks for sharing, much appreciated

(I am putting my car in for its Oil Service, so will ask the dealer to check this out for me.)
Old 11-18-2010, 04:27 AM
Contributors

Got my appointment next monday, and big surprise, the loan car is absolutely free. That's highly unusual for Germany, I've never had a free loaner from BMW. They offered me a 5er diesel, hope it's a new model.

In case it isn't obvious from that letter I scanned, it was mailed on 12th of November.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Loan cars are not free here ether, if the work is being paid for by BMW because they have admited fault then the loaner is free. I got a free 3 series a short while ago because my IHKA was messed up.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I had no idea there was a recall for my car until I took it to my dealer today because I almost rear-ended someone today, and then almost went through a red light because my brakes were not working correctly.

This morning while driving home after my workout at the gym, I was approaching an intersection and the light turned yellow. I pressed my brakes, but the car did not stop as quickly as normal. I drifted way past the intended stopping point, and almost went into the intersection. While pressing my brake pedal, I felt some resistance. It was as if the car was telling me not to push the brake so hard, and then wouldn't let me. I was standing on the brake and the car was not stopping fast enough. It was very frightening.

I had several more incidents like that today, so I took my car to the dealer. They told me there was a recall announced.

Hopefully that means BMW is fixing this for free? My car is no longer under warranty. 2005 545i.

Quick Reply: Got my Brake Pedal Recall letter today