E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

got my baby back, various items

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked her up after leaving her with my dealer while I was on vacation for 1 wk. I did check the odometer . My car service indicator was stuck for hundreds of miles. That was corrected with CIP update to v20 from v16.x. She also was down one qt of oil which triggered the oil warning periodically (no leaks found). They noticed that my engine ticked a bit - I laughed, and said doesn't that come standard on valvetronic V8s . Apparently she was ticking within specs

Well I pampered her with BMW Spa (full detail) and swapped my winter tires as well (I know, I'm early but can't help thinking positive).

Last, I priced out Dinan mods with my SA (throttle body, CAI, exhaust). They have done two 545i's already and the customers were happy with results. Dinan is running a 20% off all mod and ends March 31st. With the Dinan discount and my BMWCCA 10% discount on labor it will run around $2600. Will probably pull the trigger
Old 03-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Good luck with the mods. Let us know how they work out. You might want to consider using a g-meter to get some baselines before doing the mods so you will have some idea if they really enhance your performance. Pretty much everyone that attempts to measure potential performance enhancements from mods using SOP techniques, including me, says that they do enhance performance. But, there is a temptation to paint this picture, given the amount of money involved, even if uncertainty exists. Also, it is possible to mistake changes in sounds with performance improvements. And, there is a chance that performance improvements can be transitory. Finally, mods might actually decrease, or at least not increase, performance depending on the CIP/Progman version being used.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='250843' date='Mar 6 2006, 07:23 PM
Good luck with the mods. Let us know how they work out. You might want to consider using a g-meter to get some baselines before doing the mods so you will have some idea if they really enhance your performance. Pretty much everyone that attempts to measure potential performance enhancements from mods using SOP techniques, including me, says that they do enhance performance. But, there is a temptation to paint this picture, given the amount of money involved, even if uncertainty exists. Also, it is possible to mistake changes in sounds with performance improvements.

Thanks Znod -good points. Your thread on the mods forum and possible interaction with v20 upgrade has caused me to think twice. The discounts have gotten me over the hump a bit but I too am wary of SOP testimonials. I guess I'm a typical impulsive owner that went over the darkside once I spend money on m-tech mod.

BTW... my dealership was very strong in their endorsement of Dinan mods. I asked about warranty concerns and if they/Dinan stand behind their customers should anything arise. He was emphatic that there was virtually no risk and they stand by the product and customers. I know he's trying to sell me expensive mods but I was impressed by my SA endorsement -I know some on the forum are concerned about warranty issues.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Contributors

dont forget a valentine!
Old 03-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by mihusky' post='250839' date='Mar 6 2006, 04:16 PM
They noticed that my engine ticked a bit - I laughed, and said doesn't that come standard on valvetronic V8s . Apparently she was ticking within specs
Wow so you dont care or mind? Just letting it tick away?