E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Got an LCI 528 Loaner... WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:38 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Originally Posted by ipp' post='531706' date='Feb 15 2008, 03:58 AM
Some people just don't want to buy a 4 years old car.
That's a valid point in my opinion. Some people never want to have more than 45k miles on their cars and never want to drive a car that someone else has "broken in" already. I understand that. Obviously, I would prefer to drive a new car at all times (of course, there's that old saying "everyone drives a used car.").

Anyway, I think that this point is more persuasive when there is a signifcant difference in the two cars, other than mileage or age. The loaner is the same color as my 545, and no one (including my wife) could tell that I was driving a different car. The changes are so subtle on the LCI, that you have to really know BMWs to call it out. The interior, with the exception of some different buttons, was basically the same as well. Thus, I don't mind driving a 4-yr old car that isn't really missing anything from a new one. If the debate was between an E39 540 and an E60 530, then I would give much more weight to the fact that one is newer, despite the lower horsepower.

The more I drove the car and the more I thought about it, I basically came away with the feeling that the 528 is like a Lexus wrapped in a BMW shell. I think that sums it up. It was like I was driving my car (it looked so much like my car), but then the "soul" just wasn't there.

To the "apples vs. oranges" comments: The steering/transmission/suspension are all options you could get on a new 550 (or at least could have had on my 545), so that comparison is straight up. To echo a previous post, the cars ARE the same car in so many respects, that it is not an apples to oranges comparison. The only thing that is not fair to compare is the amount of power made by the engine, but I pointed that out in my original post. I think all the other comparisons are legitimate.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='531521' date='Feb 14 2008, 02:09 PM
My 545 is in for service on the faulty airbag sensor that lit up recently. The dealer was nice and gave me a new 528 loaner while my car is in for service. This is the FIRST TIME I have driven another 5-series other than my 545 Sport 6MT. My WOW comment is for "WOW, this does not in any way compare to my 545!"

I honestly cannot believe they are both 5-series cars. Here are some random thoughts. Feel free to skip this thread if you are not interested in them:

1. Price. The 528 has the premium pkg and the cold weather package, and that's about it. Sticker is just south of $49,000. Amazing. That's about $15k more than I paid for my CPO 545, and I wouldn't trade my car for this 528 if you paid me $5,000, let alone would I pay 50% more than my car for it. I think, realistically and honestly here, that this car should be priced at about $36k with the options that are on it. I would see that as a reasonable price point for what you are getting. I know that it has to be more than a 335, and there are other variables BMW has to consider, but pricing it close to $50k? no way.

2. Transmission. The new LCI gear selector looks like it came from Star Trek. I don't like having to push a button to put it in park. It makes me hesitate when I pull my foot off the brake because I'm not certain it actually is IN park, the green light notwithstanding. The shape is odd for my hand to maneuver. I spent most of the time in DS mode due to the lack of power, and I tried the manumatic/shiftronic/"wish I drove F1" mode once. The shifts are a little quicker than the steptronic was in my old 323ci, but they still aren't "crisp." Basically, everything about the transmission in this car reminded me 1000% why I only wanted a manual transmission in my 545. I believe the present version of the transmission is just one step away from BMW going completely away from the gear selector all together and incorporating it into a submenu on I-Drive. Here's a 10-year future view: Sit down, boot up I-drive. Login in w/password through a Microsoft Office type screen. Select "start" from home page. Car starts. Select Transmission icon. Picture pops up of a traditional looking six-speed selector like in my car. Use touchscreen to select gear. Gear engages. Here's a 50-year view: Sit down in seat. Pick up x-box type controller. Use it to steer, shift, brake and operate radio, just like you're playing PGR3. Anyway, my point is, some technology really enhances the driving experience (active suspension, adaptive headlights) while other things are just gimmicky.

3. Suspension. Again, I had not driven another 5er before, so I didn't realize how soft the non-sport-package suspension is. There is a lot of body roll. It did not feel very tight at all. It was better than my Volvo station wagon, but it didn't have the "fun to drive" factor like my 545 or even my old 323.

4. Steering. First time driving a 5er w/o active steering. I really, really love my active steering now. I made several turns at stoplights and felt like I had to do a hand over hand 720 degree rotation of the steering wheel to make the turn. I could make those turns with about a 1/4 rotation of the steering wheel in my 545. I didn't know at first how much of a difference the AS made, but it really does make a significant difference for the better in my opinion.

5. Engine. Granted this is the "entry level" smallest engine offered in the U.S., and it is not fair to compare it to a 545, but really, this thing feels like a 4 cyl. Even in DS mode, I felt like I was flooring it from every stoplight just to get up to speed. I will say that when it is at high RPMs and/or once underway, it does have good throttle response. Getting it moving, however, is a chore.

So there you have it. I completely reinforced my belief that I made the right choice by going for a CPO 545 as opposed to finding (or leasing) a newer 525/528/530. I also reinforced my belief that you can never go wrong with a 6-speed, and finally, I am a firm believer that a BMW is not a BMW w/o the sport package.

I will also say that there were two Z4M coupes on the lot that looked stunning, in my opinion. The way those have fallen off in residual value, I may have to look at a CPO one of those when my 545 is paid off.

If anyone is still reading this... you may have too much time on your hands...

Thank you.

Is it really necessary to denigrate an entire group of BMW fans who happen not to select the same options as you? Frankly, I find it unnecessary and a tad insulting for you to say that the e60 I chose for my specific need set is "not a BMW" because it doesn't have the sports package. Each is entitled to his opinion, but there certainly are less offensive ways of expressing it.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='531788' date='Feb 15 2008, 11:13 AM
Is it really necessary to denegrate an entire group of BMW fans who happen not to select the same options as you? Frankly, I find it unnecessary and a tad insulting for you to say that the e60 I chose for my specific need set is "not a BMW" because it doesn't have the sports package. Each is entitled to his opinion, but there certainly are less offensive ways of expressing it.
That's a fair criticism. My apologies to you and others who chose the 528/530. People choose different cars for lots of reasons, and my personal criteria (based primarily on horsepower and handling) are totally subjective. If other people value luxury, comfort and the environment, they probably won't want a V8. If people value driving a new car every two years, they won't even look at used BMW.

I personally, for me, would not spend $49k for a 528. I'd get the newest 550 I could get for that amount of money (or a used 645 or something). Again, though, I was not trying to put down anyone for what they drive. At least we all chose the most sporting marque out there, or we wouldn't be on this page.

One other quick note about the "not a BMW" comment. My thought is that lots of cars (AMGs, S4, S6, etc.) make big horsepower numbers, but the thing that really, in my mind, sets BMWs apart is not the power, but the handling (steering feel, cornering ability, etc.). This 528 just didn't have the "feel" in my mind that I expect from BMWs. That's why I made that comment.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='531788' date='Feb 15 2008, 08:13 AM
Is it really necessary to denegrate an entire group of BMW fans who happen not to select the same options as you? Frankly, I find it unnecessary and a tad insulting for you to say that the e60 I chose for my specific need set is "not a BMW" because it doesn't have the sports package. Each is entitled to his opinion, but there certainly are less offensive ways of expressing it.
+1 to that comment, CWS530. One sometimes gets the feeling from some posters that all other BMWs except their own choice are inferior machines. As you say, these are opinions only, and we are all entitled to an opinion; but it's too bad that the BMW "community" and particularily the 5 Series community on here cannot stick together a bit more and see the wonder in all 5 Series BMWs - they are all superb cars, and far exceed the competition.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='531521' date='Feb 14 2008, 03:09 PM
My 545 is in for service on the faulty airbag sensor that lit up recently. The dealer was nice and gave me a new 528 loaner while my car is in for service. This is the FIRST TIME I have driven another 5-series other than my 545 Sport 6MT. My WOW comment is for "WOW, this does not in any way compare to my 545!"

I honestly cannot believe they are both 5-series cars. Here are some random thoughts. Feel free to skip this thread if you are not interested in them:

1. Price. The 528 has the premium pkg and the cold weather package, and that's about it. Sticker is just south of $49,000. Amazing. That's about $15k more than I paid for my CPO 545, and I wouldn't trade my car for this 528 if you paid me $5,000, let alone would I pay 50% more than my car for it. I think, realistically and honestly here, that this car should be priced at about $36k with the options that are on it. I would see that as a reasonable price point for what you are getting. I know that it has to be more than a 335, and there are other variables BMW has to consider, but pricing it close to $50k? no way.
Just shows you what a value CPO is! I think you would also be shocked if you priced a new 545 (now550) today...probably north of $75K easy or more than double what you paid for your CPO 545!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='531521' date='Feb 14 2008, 04:09 PM

2. Transmission. The new LCI gear selector looks like it came from Star Trek. I don't like having to push a button to put it in park. It makes me hesitate when I pull my foot off the brake because I'm not certain it actually is IN park, the green light notwithstanding. The shape is odd for my hand to maneuver. I spent most of the time in DS mode due to the lack of power, and I tried the manumatic/shiftronic/"wish I drove F1" mode once. The shifts are a little quicker than the steptronic was in my old 323ci, but they still aren't "crisp." Basically, everything about the transmission in this car reminded me 1000% why I only wanted a manual transmission in my 545. I believe the present version of the transmission is just one step away from BMW going completely away from the gear selector all together and incorporating it into a submenu on I-Drive. Here's a 10-year future view: Sit down, boot up I-drive. Login in w/password through a Microsoft Office type screen. Select "start" from home page. Car starts. Select Transmission icon. Picture pops up of a traditional looking six-speed selector like in my car. Use touchscreen to select gear. Gear engages. Here's a 50-year view: Sit down in seat. Pick up x-box type controller. Use it to steer, shift, brake and operate radio, just like you're playing PGR3. Anyway, my point is, some technology really enhances the driving experience (active suspension, adaptive headlights) while other things are just gimmicky.

3. Suspension. Again, I had not driven another 5er before, so I didn't realize how soft the non-sport-package suspension is. There is a lot of body roll. It did not feel very tight at all. It was better than my Volvo station wagon, but it didn't have the "fun to drive" factor like my 545 or even my old 323.

4. Steering. First time driving a 5er w/o active steering. I really, really love my active steering now. I made several turns at stoplights and felt like I had to do a hand over hand 720 degree rotation of the steering wheel to make the turn. I could make those turns with about a 1/4 rotation of the steering wheel in my 545. I didn't know at first how much of a difference the AS made, but it really does make a significant difference for the better in my opinion.

5. Engine. Granted this is the "entry level" smallest engine offered in the U.S., and it is not fair to compare it to a 545, but really, this thing feels like a 4 cyl. Even in DS mode, I felt like I was flooring it from every stoplight just to get up to speed. I will say that when it is at high RPMs and/or once underway, it does have good throttle response. Getting it moving, however, is a chore.

So there you have it. I completely reinforced my belief that I made the right choice by going for a CPO 545 as opposed to finding (or leasing) a newer 525/528/530. I also reinforced my belief that you can never go wrong with a 6-speed, and finally, I am a firm believer that a BMW is not a BMW w/o the sport package.

I will also say that there were two Z4M coupes on the lot that looked stunning, in my opinion. The way those have fallen off in residual value, I may have to look at a CPO one of those when my 545 is paid off.

If anyone is still reading this... you may have too much time on your hands...

Thank you.

Interesting. The best E60 vintage is 2006 thru 2007. I'm of course very biased.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='531838' date='Feb 15 2008, 01:41 PM
Just shows you what a value CPO is! I think you would also be shocked if you priced a new 545 (now550) today...probably north of $75K easy or more than double what you paid for your CPO 545!
Yep! My 550i sticker'd for $72,000 but I've seen some for more than $80,000! A $50,000 528i is basically the same car but saves those owners $30,000 for a bit less power and fewer probably seldom used goodies. So why did I get the 550i? Gotta have a V8. A CPO 545i is another option but I generally lease new cars every 3 years. I only kept an E39 M5 longer because it had no equal. Plus I prefer the interior of the LCI.

PS: With the sport automatic, the look and feel of the shifter is improved a bit. I've gotten used to the whole thing in 4 months but I STILL look down at it every time I go in or out of park, reverse, etc to make sure I don't oops.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Contributors

I own the 528I with sport pkg and happy with it. I came from a 525i so I can not compare it to anything else. As for the new shifter? I love it. No longer I need to worry shifting to PARK before turning off the engine.

BTW even with sport pkg i think it is way too soft comparing to my others 5 series with sportpkg. Sometimes i question if my car actually was built with sport/pkg. Yes yes i can tell it has it.....it is just a doubt because it is so soooooooooooft
Old 02-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Try a 535 and then compare. Although it's an inline six it's a more powerful engine with alot more torque. If it were not for the fact that I wanted an XI I probably would have gone with a V8 myself. I do love the fact that my car has twin turbos and a lot of torque but I don't like the fact that I don't have the tight sports suspension. It does have some body roll that I really don't like. Can't have your cake and eat it too, I guess.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:40 AM
TMQ
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Silver/Black/Light Wood, ZPP, ZCW, STEP, Comfort Seat, Heated Rear Seat, PDC, Xenon, Nav, iPod. 35% ceramic tint, VentureShield clear bra.

Well, I think that it's a given that a BMW with the sport package is more sporty. And it's a given that a V8 would be much faster than I6. And it's a given that the 6sp manual gives you more control than the STEP.

That said, the 528i base model is still a well balanced and quick machine, compared to other competing models. I feel it drives better than the Lexus GS. For the roads that I drive, the 528i is fast enough (faster than 90% of the cars on the road). I do wish I had the sport package, but without it maybe I make the the 2-yr old in the back a bit safer (in terms of keep myself in check and AS tires).

For the LCI, the interior improvement is most significant. Much more refined. Exterior - the LED tail looks fantastic for the drivers behind me to see.

The shifter is definitely weird. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Got an LCI 528 Loaner... WOW!