E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Got an LCI 528 Loaner... WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

My 545 is in for service on the faulty airbag sensor that lit up recently. The dealer was nice and gave me a new 528 loaner while my car is in for service. This is the FIRST TIME I have driven another 5-series other than my 545 Sport 6MT. My WOW comment is for "WOW, this does not in any way compare to my 545!"

I honestly cannot believe they are both 5-series cars. Here are some random thoughts. Feel free to skip this thread if you are not interested in them:

1. Price. The 528 has the premium pkg and the cold weather package, and that's about it. Sticker is just south of $49,000. Amazing. That's about $15k more than I paid for my CPO 545, and I wouldn't trade my car for this 528 if you paid me $5,000, let alone would I pay 50% more than my car for it. I think, realistically and honestly here, that this car should be priced at about $36k with the options that are on it. I would see that as a reasonable price point for what you are getting. I know that it has to be more than a 335, and there are other variables BMW has to consider, but pricing it close to $50k? no way.

2. Transmission. The new LCI gear selector looks like it came from Star Trek. I don't like having to push a button to put it in park. It makes me hesitate when I pull my foot off the brake because I'm not certain it actually is IN park, the green light notwithstanding. The shape is odd for my hand to maneuver. I spent most of the time in DS mode due to the lack of power, and I tried the manumatic/shiftronic/"wish I drove F1" mode once. The shifts are a little quicker than the steptronic was in my old 323ci, but they still aren't "crisp." Basically, everything about the transmission in this car reminded me 1000% why I only wanted a manual transmission in my 545. I believe the present version of the transmission is just one step away from BMW going completely away from the gear selector all together and incorporating it into a submenu on I-Drive. Here's a 10-year future view: Sit down, boot up I-drive. Login in w/password through a Microsoft Office type screen. Select "start" from home page. Car starts. Select Transmission icon. Picture pops up of a traditional looking six-speed selector like in my car. Use touchscreen to select gear. Gear engages. Here's a 50-year view: Sit down in seat. Pick up x-box type controller. Use it to steer, shift, brake and operate radio, just like you're playing PGR3. Anyway, my point is, some technology really enhances the driving experience (active suspension, adaptive headlights) while other things are just gimmicky.

3. Suspension. Again, I had not driven another 5er before, so I didn't realize how soft the non-sport-package suspension is. There is a lot of body roll. It did not feel very tight at all. It was better than my Volvo station wagon, but it didn't have the "fun to drive" factor like my 545 or even my old 323.

4. Steering. First time driving a 5er w/o active steering. I really, really love my active steering now. I made several turns at stoplights and felt like I had to do a hand over hand 720 degree rotation of the steering wheel to make the turn. I could make those turns with about a 1/4 rotation of the steering wheel in my 545. I didn't know at first how much of a difference the AS made, but it really does make a significant difference for the better in my opinion.

5. Engine. Granted this is the "entry level" smallest engine offered in the U.S., and it is not fair to compare it to a 545, but really, this thing feels like a 4 cyl. Even in DS mode, I felt like I was flooring it from every stoplight just to get up to speed. I will say that when it is at high RPMs and/or once underway, it does have good throttle response. Getting it moving, however, is a chore.

So there you have it. I completely reinforced my belief that I made the right choice by going for a CPO 545 as opposed to finding (or leasing) a newer 525/528/530. I also reinforced my belief that you can never go wrong with a 6-speed, and finally, I am a firm believer that a BMW is not a BMW w/o the sport package.

I will also say that there were two Z4M coupes on the lot that looked stunning, in my opinion. The way those have fallen off in residual value, I may have to look at a CPO one of those when my 545 is paid off.

If anyone is still reading this... you may have too much time on your hands...

Thank you.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

... and I thought after reading your threads title that you'd say the 528 was better. What was I thinking!!
Old 02-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 325i Touring E60 530i Sedan

You're comparing apples to oranges.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jcatral14' post='531608' date='Feb 14 2008, 07:39 PM
+2 ... You have the option of a V-8 or even a V-10 if you feel so moved
Old 02-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

I do have a lot of time on my hands...I'm at work...

I do also have the 545i and drove a 528...I feel the same way!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by jcatral14' post='531608' date='Feb 14 2008, 04:39 PM

How are they apples and oranges? The are both oranges... one is seedless and one is with seeds. They TOTALLY the same dang car. a E60! Apple and Orange would be a Kia Rio and a 528.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:58 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Some people just don't want to buy a 4 years old car.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

I'm glad that you like your car...!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

I had the same loaner, and that new shifters quality of materials feels very out of place. Cheap plastic, and annoying to figure out. The engine has a great note to it, and is peppy enough for the great MPG it gets. The suspension is what you said, mush, but you prob has the active rolll bars which make a huge difference. Its a nice car, but again, Id be disappointed spending 50k+ for it. BTW, the wheels on it look terrible for the pricepoint.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='531521' date='Feb 14 2008, 02:09 PM
2. Transmission. The new LCI gear selector looks like it came from Star Trek. I don't like having to push a button to put it in park. It makes me hesitate when I pull my foot off the brake because I'm not certain it actually is IN park, the green light notwithstanding. The shape is odd for my hand to maneuver. I spent most of the time in DS mode due to the lack of power, and I tried the manumatic/shiftronic/"wish I drove F1" mode once. The shifts are a little quicker than the steptronic was in my old 323ci, but they still aren't "crisp." Basically, everything about the transmission in this car reminded me 1000% why I only wanted a manual transmission in my 545. I believe the present version of the transmission is just one step away from BMW going completely away from the gear selector all together and incorporating it into a submenu on I-Drive. Here's a 10-year future view: Sit down, boot up I-drive. Login in w/password through a Microsoft Office type screen. Select "start" from home page. Car starts. Select Transmission icon. Picture pops up of a traditional looking six-speed selector like in my car. Use touchscreen to select gear. Gear engages. Here's a 50-year view: Sit down in seat. Pick up x-box type controller. Use it to steer, shift, brake and operate radio, just like you're playing PGR3. Anyway, my point is, some technology really enhances the driving experience (active suspension, adaptive headlights) while other things are just gimmicky.
The new electronic shifter is a paradigm shift. Once one becomes familiar with it, it is a pleasure to use. I wish that they would buck tradition and change the pattern for drive and reverse. One should pull down on the shifter toward the rear of the car to put it into reverse. It would be so much intuitive. I am sure that this change will be coming. Having used the new electronic shifter since September I like it a lot.

Quick Reply: Got an LCI 528 Loaner... WOW!