E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoPro HD or other dash cam anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am curious if anyone here does their daily drive with a dash cam by any chance. I found this post by xcntrk from last month but this is all external to the car and seems he might just add it on for specific/special purposes:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/111...amera-testing/

Does anyone here have a cam that they keep in their dash to record their daily driving? I've been thinking about doing this for a while. It'd be novel for recording your driving in general but I am interested in doing it in the event someone does something stupid in front of me -- involving me or not. I've watched enough Liveleak (and witnessed a few horrifc accidents) to see people do some pretty jacked up stuff and having a camera recording can be invaluable. In particular there is this one video where a guy purposely dives on a guy's hood.. extremely hilarious.. but if the guy didn't have a video he'd probably be out a lot of $$$.

Anyone do this currently? I think the GoPros can be put into an auxiliary power source that starts with your car and will record and auto-overwrite the oldest video. My only real fear is someone smashing the window to grab it, which would defeat the whole purpose. I think it'd be too much of a pain to take it down and put it back every time you get in/out of the car.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i

I have a GoProHD that I usually mount on the nose of my motorcycle, the video/audio quality is great. Never thought about using it on my car.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

Yea I have heard nothing but good things about them and that they come with all kinds of mounts that are 100% solid so you can mount the camera to virtually anything anywhere. Is what I said about it recording over the oldest stuff once it's full true? E.g. if you fill up the storage it won't stop and will just overwrite/delete the oldest and start recording new again?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by crypto
Is what I said about it recording over the oldest stuff once it's full true? E.g. if you fill up the storage it won't stop and will just overwrite/delete the oldest and start recording new again?
No idea if that is true or not, I've never attempted to use mine like that.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Yea I have heard nothing but good things about them and that they come with all kinds of mounts that are 100% solid so you can mount the camera to virtually anything anywhere. Is what I said about it recording over the oldest stuff once it's full true? E.g. if you fill up the storage it won't stop and will just overwrite/delete the oldest and start recording new again?
I have a couple of GoPro cameras - one of the second generation and the newest HD. I don't recall seeing anything about recording over the oldest data automatically. Drop GoPro an e-mail, I'm sure they can answer you questions
Old 07-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I've thought about this in the past, and think its a great idea. Let me know what you find out, its a good investment. It could of saved me $1000's when someone hit me, and his insurance ended up siding with him.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I found this, it looks intresting.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Senior Members

Interesting I'll look into that last one a bit more. Sounds like it's truly meant to be more of a blackbox recorder. Seems it may quickly discard recent data unless an impact or "event" is detected. It seems it has a manual mode but it seems unclear to me if you can set it to just always record until overridden or not. Also, it has a max FPS of 30 or high 24 FPS (not sure what that is) whereas the GoPro can do 60 FPS in 720p. Maybe I'll search for some demo videos online later. Also, curious if you can disable the speed display.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Interesting I'll look into that last one a bit more. Sounds like it's truly meant to be more of a blackbox recorder. Seems it may quickly discard recent data unless an impact or "event" is detected. It seems it has a manual mode but it seems unclear to me if you can set it to just always record until overridden or not. Also, it has a max FPS of 30 or high 24 FPS (not sure what that is) whereas the GoPro can do 60 FPS in 720p. Maybe I'll search for some demo videos online later. Also, curious if you can disable the speed display.
The GoPro can also record in 1080p but it's really not practical considering how much data is generated. The 720p in 60FPS takes up a LOT of space - it's intended use is for HD slow motion sequences. 30fps is plenty
Old 07-05-2011, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

Just checked on Youtube.. search for "ITB-70G" and you'll get plenty of videos. It looks like junk compared to the GoPro HD videos.

Quick Reply: GoPro HD or other dash cam anyone?