E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Goodyear runflats - Found 2 bubbles on my tyre today

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: - '07 Bmw 530i - Titanium silver, Balck Interior, Fully loaded & M Sports package - '02 Benz S600- Navy blue with Grey interior, short wheel base & fully loaded

Was washing the car this morning when i found 2 bubbles on the front right tyre.

Went to the dealership, dealer is arguing that i hit a pothole which i didn't! If i did hit a pothole then i would have had rim damage too which it doesn't. A pothole would usually cause 1 bubble but the tyre bubbling at 2 different spots is plain weird!

Anyone here have a problem with the Goodyear RFTs? if so would be great to back me up with some pictures!

Cheers!

Hassan
Old 09-19-2006, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I hate to say this but in most cases these bubbles are, in fact, caused by an impact of some sort. The runflat tires are very strong so they can often absorb the impact of potholes without transmitting any to the wheels. Unfortunatley, this type of impact can result in a sidewall bubble.

I realize you don't recall hitting any potholes and I realize you have two bubbles on one tire so it's possible that you have a defective tire but the odds are that the bubbles were caused by road imperfections.

One thing that might help you figure this out is to dismount the tire and look at the inside of the tire. Usually, there will be a crack or break in the rubber where the impact occurred. If there is no visible blemish on the inside (behind the bubbles) then the tire is probably defective. If there is a blemish, the bubbles are from an impact...
Old 09-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: - '07 Bmw 530i - Titanium silver, Balck Interior, Fully loaded & M Sports package - '02 Benz S600- Navy blue with Grey interior, short wheel base & fully loaded

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='336102' date='Sep 19 2006, 03:08 PM
I hate to say this but in most cases these bubbles are, in fact, caused by an impact of some sort. The runflat tires are very strong so they can often absorb the impact of potholes without transmitting any to the wheels. Unfortunatley, this type of impact can result in a sidewall bubble.

I realize you don't recall hitting any potholes and I realize you have two bubbles on one tire so it's possible that you have a defective tire but the odds are that the bubbles were caused by road imperfections.

One thing that might help you figure this out is to dismount the tire and look at the inside of the tire. Usually, there will be a crack or break in the rubber where the impact occurred. If there is no visible blemish on the inside (behind the bubbles) then the tire is probably defective. If there is a blemish, the bubbles are from an impact...
Well the goodyear people are coming to see it on thursday so we'll find out. I got 100% insurance cover so if it is a pothole then I get a new tyre and a new rim Am covered in both cases but i know i didn't hit anything so am out to prove my point!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by hgabr' post='336439' date='Sep 19 2006, 09:37 PM
Well the goodyear people are coming to see it on thursday so we'll find out. I got 100% insurance cover so if it is a pothole then I get a new tyre and a new rim Am covered in both cases but i know i didn't hit anything so am out to prove my point!
Well if you're covered by the insurance, then great -- you'll be good to go no matter what!