E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Goodbye BMW....

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 01:02 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Knobjockey' post='220131' date='Jan 6 2006, 07:49 PM
Time has come to get rid of the wife's E61 530dse not so much because of ALL the problems we have had over the last 18 months but we have out grown it with 3 small children.

The airbag is ?400 to have it switched off and the same to have it switched back on again.... What a ripoff.
I know they now do a key switch for ?60.
We can not get 3 kids seats along the rear seat so it's not really a family car, if only I had known when I purchased it that we were due a 3rd then I would have looked elsewhere.

Secondhand values.... Well quite a shock really, having a list price with extras of ?44k and not even the bad extras, the good ones, i.e Auto, Leather, Pro Nav, Phone, sunroof, xeons, nice wheels and service/Main pack (5y60K).
Lowest offer was ?23k
Best was ?25k
I tried 20+ dealers and 75% did not even want it at any price!! So much for a popular model?
20 months old with 15k miles on the clock
Thats a ?1k a month or ?1.25p a mile. excluding fuel/insurance etc.
I'd of got the same for the car without Nav/xeons/phone and sunroof.
I'd have got ?3k less with auto and leather so got my money back on those.

It's been of the road for 30 days in the 20 months and we had it and had all the usual problems plus a few less common one's.
I'll miss it but I won't miss the loss of money or the time off the road!
Fuel consumption was poor with an average of 25mpg over the 15k miles.
Still on the same tyres with plenty of life and as it was my wife's car she drove it very carefully as she always had the kids in the car so the fuel consumption was quite a shock really.

We are picking up a Land Rover Discovery 3 next week with the TDV6 auto S model.
7 seats and a real smooth motor even compared to the 530d! We will miss the power but not the tight space of the poor reliability.
I only hope the Land Rover is better, I don't really think it could be much worse.

Good luck to all.

Paul
Paul,

Sorry to hear your experience mate. E60's and all BMW's in the UK at least tend to depreciate a heck of a lot (BMW sells like hotcakes in the UK - for example the 3 series outsells the Ford Mondeo which is just plain ridiculous given the price difference). However sounds like you got the brunt of it. Possible reasons -

1. Surprised you didnt get a discount off the ?44k list price. Now 10% is readily achievable which would have saved you ?4.4k
2. A new 3.0 diesel engine came out a few months ago and the old engine isnt as desirable anymore.
3. I heard from my dealer when ordering my car that non M Sport models are very hard to shift and tend to depreciate a bit more.
4. Sounds like you are not part exchanging but just trying to sell your car to a BMW dealer. They are never going to offer you a good price in such circumstances. Have you tried a private sale ? You could easily get ?2-3k more. Please clarify if I am wrong.
5. The first 18 months is when a car depreciates most. I bet after another year your car would still be worth at least ?20-21k in a similar sale.

If you really dont want a huge amount of depreciation on a new vehicle in the UK you need to either buy a diesel SUV or a desirable sports coupe or convertible. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction.

Regarding problems, I try not to buy a new model in its first year of production. All manufacturers use us consumers as guinea pigs and after the first year or so most problems are ironed out.

Good luck with your new disco. I have driven one and it really is a superb vehicle. Great interior as well. Holds its value well as far as I can tell as well.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

We are picking up a Land Rover Discovery 3 next week with the TDV6 auto S model.
7 seats and a real smooth motor even compared to the 530d! We will miss the power but not the tight space of the poor reliability.
I only hope the Land Rover is better, I don't really think it could be much worse.
Land Rover?

It will be worse both in terms of problems and loss of money.

I know it from experience!

If you want to have less problems, get a previous generation car.

If you don't want to loose money, buy a 1 or 2 year old car.

It's the world we live in ;-)
Old 01-06-2006, 01:05 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BigGrey' post='220202
Land Rover?

It will be worse both in terms of problems and loss of money.

I know it from experience!

If you want to have less problems, get a previous generation car.

If you don't want to loose money, buy a 1 or 2 year old car.

It's the world we live in ;-)
[/quote]

Actually no. Current generation Land Rovers tend to hold their value very well in the UK market. Much better than most BMW's including the E60.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Members

My fathers just got the new Disco3 - we've just taken it over to Chamonix on a familly ski trip - it swallowed 5 people and a load of luggage quite nicely. That said, compared to his S reg 740i, its no where near as comfortable. Its had its fair share of problems - it was delivered with a dodgy coolant level transducer, both keys for the removable tow hitch have snapped in the lock. The warning like for the elec. e-brake has been coming on recently (he leaves it in gear anyway so not a biggie - but still could be a problem).

I dont think you'll enjoy the ride as much as the e61 - but for space, it cant be beat.

Price not out of line though - my mums trying to sell hers (not as high spec albeit), and is being offered about the same amount by BMW. Pretty disgracefull really.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SKK' post='220200
2. A new 3.0 diesel engine came out a few months ago and the old engine isnt as desirable anymore.
Really? I know the new engine is better but surely this hasn't impacted the 'old' engine too much?

4. Sounds like you are not part exchanging but just trying to sell your car to a BMW dealer. They are never going to offer you a good price in such circumstances. Have you tried a private sale ? You could easily get ?2-3k more. Please clarify if I am wrong.
Indeed. That's what I did with my last car and gained ?1k. (?11k vs ?10k dealer offer - both parties happy! Except the dealer, but do I look bothered?)

Secondhand values.... Well quite a shock really, having a list price with extras of ?44k and not even the bad extras, the good ones, i.e Auto, Leather, Pro Nav, Phone, sunroof, xeons, nice wheels and service/Main pack (5y60K).
It's the old story from the dealers... 'You've gotta have this option to protect your residuals!'. Auto and leather appear to be a must in this market. The others probably aren't worth much - the dealer will lap them up for resale though! The service deal is definitely desirable - I presume you paid ?750 like I did? (Over ?1,300 now I think!!!)

That'll be the auto box! Even still I reckon I'm averaging over 30mpg so I'm delighted!
Old 01-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Knobjockey' post='220131' date='Jan 6 2006, 02:49 PM
Time has come to get rid of the wife's E61 530dse not so much because of ALL the problems we have had over the last 18 months but we have out grown it with 3 small children.

The airbag is ?400 to have it switched off and the same to have it switched back on again.... What a ripoff.
I know they now do a key switch for ?60.
We can not get 3 kids seats along the rear seat so it's not really a family car, if only I had known when I purchased it that we were due a 3rd then I would have looked elsewhere.

Lowest offer was ?23k
Best was ?25k
I tried 20+ dealers and 75% did not even want it at any price!! So much for a popular model?
20 months old with 15k miles on the clock
Thats a ?1k a month or ?1.25p a mile. excluding fuel/insurance etc.
I'd of got the same for the car without Nav/xeons/phone and sunroof.
I'd have got ?3k less with auto and leather so got my money back on those.

It's been of the road for 30 days in the 20 months and we had it and had all the usual problems plus a few less common one's.
I'll miss it but I won't miss the loss of money or the time off the road!
Still on the same tyres with plenty of life and as it was my wife's car she drove it very carefully as she always had the kids in the car so the fuel consumption was quite a shock really.

Good luck to all.

Paul
Good luck Paul. Happy roving.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Members

SKK

Thanks. We did get a discount but only ?2K. We got the 96th Touring in the UK so more fool me.
We are part ex with the dealer.
The M sport did not come out until a fair old time after ours. We had the EuroIV 218HP model with the straight exhaust but then they put the power up. But not everyone can afford the newer model so there must be a market for ours! It's a duffer's car for goodness sake aimed at 50 year old active family men according to BMW.
I'm not that bothered about the loss as its a nice car and you have to pay for that.
What ticked me off was the problems really. Drove my wife mad not been able to go out for 3 days because the cars in the garage again and they only lend us a 1or3 series which we can not get all the kids in.
The airbag was a bit bad aswell and so was the constant problems.

Problems:

Sunroof would not shut
Doors squeak
Cd player did not work
Nav crashing
Phone broke
Steering grinding
Anti trap function
Airbag fault
New manifiold
Rear suspension stopped working
door would not lock
New I/drive screen

To name a few!!!!

Still current:

Steering grinding
Nav freezing
Anti trap function

Then there was the poor crash performance... 3 stars! Then BMW do some messing for new cars only and we are stuck with the 3 star car!
I checked and the car waqs in the garage for a total of 34 days in the first 6 months of ownership.
Over 1 month in 6 is totally wrong... There can be no way that the Land Rover could be worse than that.
It's all well and good showing how the maker is doing but it's looking at all the models in their range.
The Freelander is very poor and is an old model so will drag the scores down.
Reading the forum and the problems we have all had it could not be the 5 series that is keeping the scores up.
It must be the other models and there are a fair few compared to Land Rover. The Freelander is their best selling model and is due for replacement now. It is very unreliable and is a relic of the previous owners not the current.
I'll call back in 6 months and I'll bet a months wage that it's not been off the road for 30 days.
We are due our 4th in July and can not hold out for the X5 which I would be interested in. Not an early model though!

To be continued.....
Old 01-06-2006, 02:10 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='220217
SKK

Thanks. We did get a discount but only ?2K. We got the 96th Touring in the UK so more fool me.
We are part ex with the dealer.
The M sport did not come out until a fair old time after ours. We had the EuroIV 218HP model with the straight exhaust but then they put the power up. But not everyone can afford the newer model so there must be a market for ours! It's a duffer's car for goodness sake aimed at 50 year old active family men according to BMW.
I'm not that bothered about the loss as its a nice car and you have to pay for that.
What ticked me off was the problems really. Drove my wife mad not been able to go out for 3 days because the cars in the garage again and they only lend us a 1or3 series which we can not get all the kids in.
The airbag was a bit bad aswell and so was the constant problems.

Problems:

Sunroof would not shut
Doors squeak
Cd player did not work
Nav crashing
Phone broke
Steering grinding
Anti trap function
Airbag fault
New manifiold
Rear suspension stopped working
door would not lock
New I/drive screen

To name a few!!!!

Still current:

Steering grinding
Nav freezing
Anti trap function

Then there was the poor crash performance... 3 stars! Then BMW do some messing for new cars only and we are stuck with the 3 star car!
I checked and the car waqs in the garage for a total of 34 days in the first 6 months of ownership.
Over 1 month in 6 is totally wrong... There can be no way that the Land Rover could be worse than that.
It's all well and good showing how the maker is doing but it's looking at all the models in their range.
The Freelander is very poor and is an old model so will drag the scores down.
Reading the forum and the problems we have all had it could not be the 5 series that is keeping the scores up.
It must be the other models and there are a fair few compared to Land Rover. The Freelander is their best selling model and is due for replacement now. It is very unreliable and is a relic of the previous owners not the current.
I'll call back in 6 months and I'll bet a months wage that it's not been off the road for 30 days.
We are due our 4th in July and can not hold out for the X5 which I would be interested in. Not an early model though!

To be continued.....
Sounds like you have had a lot to deal with. 1st year production is a big no no. Some cars are allright but most have initial problems. I bought a 3 series about 14 years ago - new model - the 4th car my dealer had sold - complete nightmare !!!

Having said that, I once bought a Mercedes C Class in its second/third year of prodcution. Worst car I ever owned. Compared to it, your problems sound like a stroll on the beach !!!
Old 01-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SKK' post='220227
Really? I know the new engine is better but surely this hasn't impacted the 'old' engine too much?
I think so. Not sure by how much but I would expect some impact. Say if you saw two cars - both August 05 registered with the same spec but one with the older engine. The new engine has 20-25hp more (not sure of the true difference - does anyone know?), more torque and is smoother. Would you be willing to pay say ?1k to ?1.5k more for the newer engined version ? I probably would.
[/quote]
Of course if you're close to the cut-over date then there might be an impact if you're a savvy buyer... But I don't think early examples (i.e. mine) would be impacted drastically by this latest revision?

Engine went from 218PS to 231PS (+13PS) - same peak torque (500Nm) but definitely quieter.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:44 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='220233
Originally Posted by colejl' post='220217' date='Jan 6 2006, 10:45 PM
I think so. Not sure by how much but I would expect some impact. Say if you saw two cars - both August 05 registered with the same spec but one with the older engine. The new engine has 20-25hp more (not sure of the true difference - does anyone know?), more torque and is smoother. Would you be willing to pay say ?1k to ?1.5k more for the newer engined version ? I probably would.
Of course if you're close to the cut-over date then there might be an impact if you're a savvy buyer... But I don't think early examples (i.e. mine) would be impacted drastically by this latest revision?

Engine went from 218PS to 231PS (+13PS) - same peak torque (500Nm) but definitely quieter.
[/quote]

Definate impact if close to cross over. Its down to savvy stealers - they will simply give you less. However agreed that impact would be much lower as time goes by.

Just to give you an idea how dealers operate mine reckons he will pay ?500 less for a Oct 05 registered car without the Start Stop button than one with it. Probably just bullshit to keep me sweet...

Quick Reply: Goodbye BMW....