E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Gone in 60 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know someone has discussed this before. I just found an article and study from cnet.

Hope it informs everyone well enough

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-651643...tml?tag=nl.e501
Old 05-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Members

It sounds scary to have comfort access then, although I like it very much. How come BMW missed this? Or are we missing something?

How do the other brands Lexus, Merc, Audi etc fare?
Old 05-11-2006, 03:05 AM
Contributors

I think it is not only BMW. The article mentioned all vehicles equipped with keyless ignition system.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I havent read the article yet. Its being sent to the printer right now but I dont get it. If they are saying Comfort Access can be hacked so can triditional remotes. Regular Key Fobs. they just send out a signal also. Ummm 315Mhz radio Freq... Once you get the car unlocked it'll prob have the same ignition code and will unlock that too so you can use a screw driver to start the car with your lap top close to the ignition sensor. No?

Edit: Finished the article... Ahhhhhhhhh so its passive... whatever. Like I said... steal it, but dont let the cops find it please... I dont want it back after they driven the @(*^$ out of it. Then i can report it and get a BRAND spanking new car.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='280904' date='May 11 2006, 04:42 AM
I havent read the article yet. Its being sent to the printer right now but I dont get it. If they are saying Comfort Access can be hacked so can triditional remotes. Regular Key Fobs. they just send out a signal also. Ummm 315Mhz radio Freq... Once you get the car unlocked it'll prob have the same ignition code and will unlock that too so you can use a screw driver to start the car with your lap top close to the ignition sensor. No?

Edit: Finished the article... Ahhhhhhhhh so its passive... whatever. Like I said... steal it, but dont let the cops find it please... I dont want it back after they driven the @(*^$ out of it. Then i can report it and get a BRAND spanking new car.
I agree.. if they steal it i dont want it back.. They were talking about the chip inside a regular car key to start the car it doesn't work at least for GM trucks I had an Avalanche and it got stolen. When we got the truck back I talked the the police that did the investigation he said all they did was drill out the sensor inside the ignition and they just used a screw drive to start the car. So i think the chip inside the regular key is nonsense. If they really want your car they're gonna get it no matter what kind of alarm you have.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

No one's take the wife's Nissan Micra off the drive yet...

ABC
Old 05-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='281186' date='May 11 2006, 10:39 PM
No one's take the wife's Nissan Micra off the drive yet...
They did, but they brought it back once they found how it drove
Old 05-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

The couple articles of this keep refering to Beckhams X5, but the X5 doest have keyless ignition
Old 05-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 525DSE Auto Olivin

As stated on previous threads any system can be hacked by a tech savy thief. If you stick with a key you could end up being more vulnerable! Car jacking and breaking into homes to steal car keys is the alternative to the desperate thief and becoming so common place that car security /tracking companies now are buiding in anti-hijacking measures i.e. noting when a car is not being driven by a person without a credit card radio beacon in their pocket.

I would rather my car be stolen by an intelligent thief than a drugged up desperate one
Old 05-11-2006, 02:50 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Apparently it can also be related to other systems being vulnerable to, e.g., buffer overflows, via remote connectivity (e.g., RFID). This whole area is pretty vague and the coverage of it sensationalistic (and generalistic), but as more and more vehicles listen via wireless mechanisms (RFID, Bluetooth, and so on), and as these systems are integrated into one master controller running a unified operating system (such as Windows CE for Automotive Platforms), if there are vulnerabilities, it would certainly be possible to access other systems of the vehicle (such as ignition, etc.)

Also, if you can duplicate the functions of the key in a completely wireless setup, well, I'm sure you can see the possibilities.

Quick Reply: Gone in 60 seconds