E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

god damn uro parts coolant transfer pipe :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60 545i, e46 330i
Default god damn uro parts coolant transfer pipe :(

I'm getting so fed up of this now.

I've been trying to get the pipe to fit past the front seal since yesterday.

Fitting the front seal is a trauma in itself. The thin edge of the seal will never push in flush, you have to sit that edge in first, then force the rear down, but doing this all the way around is so difficult.

Anyway, I got the seal in, but there is no way the pipe will slide right through the seal and push up against the timing cover (they say you'll feel the click). Instead it gets half way through the seal and then squashes the seal up out of the gap.

The seal just isn't compressing like they expect it to.

I have greased it up etc.

The weather is quite hot here, so I have just put the pipe in the freezer and will see if that helps.

Honestly, removing the front timing cover can't be *that* difficult can it? I reckon it'd be easier than this anyway.

Anybody been in the same boat?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:12 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by carl0s
I'm getting so fed up of this now.

I've been trying to get the pipe to fit past the front seal since yesterday.

Fitting the front seal is a trauma in itself. The thin edge of the seal will never push in flush, you have to sit that edge in first, then force the rear down, but doing this all the way around is so difficult.

Anyway, I got the seal in, but there is no way the pipe will slide right through the seal and push up against the timing cover (they say you'll feel the click). Instead it gets half way through the seal and then squashes the seal up out of the gap.

The seal just isn't compressing like they expect it to.

I have greased it up etc.

The weather is quite hot here, so I have just put the pipe in the freezer and will see if that helps.

Honestly, removing the front timing cover can't be *that* difficult can it? I reckon it'd be easier than this anyway.

Anybody been in the same boat?
. Try contacting member schpenxel from bimmerfest . He just recently installed a URO pipe on his 545 . Pretty sure he will help u out there must b a trick to it
Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by H F
. Try contacting member schpenxel from bimmerfest . He just recently installed a URO pipe on his 545 . Pretty sure he will help u out there must b a trick to it
I did see his write-up, and remember him saying "the front seal is difficult. Took 3 or 4 attempts and I still wasn't sure if it was right".
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM
New Members

This is an absolute joke.

I have rebuilt my automatic gearbox (5hp19 on the e46.. lost reverse), rebuilt a Tremec T56 manual on my ls2 rx7 (synchro blockers worn), stripped and repaired all sorts on my cars, but this POS seal/pipe will not fit.

The seal fits, but the pipe will not push through it. The seal grips the pipe and just pulls up.

Either I have been sent faulty parts, or it's just badly designed crap.

I'm going to put the rubber seal in the freezer for a bit now incase it's just too grippy because of the warm weather. Soon enough the seal will just be so wrecked through being pulled about that I'll just have to sell this POS pipe and fit the proper BMW one. You can do it without pulling the heads off... I'm intending to replace upper timing cover gaskets anyway.

Last edited by carl0s; 07-08-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

I know my comment isn't any help, but that's why I pony up the extra $$$ and got the AGA pipe instead. I hope you get it figured out, and hopefully others that read this thread will think twice about the URO pipe.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:06 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Boost7
I know my comment isn't any help, but that's why I pony up the extra $$$ and got the AGA pipe instead.
I would buy it if it was reasonably priced.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:52 AM
New Members

I'm ordering the standard BMW pipe tomorrow.

This one will go on eBay, or get used as an extension bar....

grrr.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM
H F
New Members

I was wondering,, Isn't there a certain way the oring gasket goes in . Ive seen the bimmer pipe video and AG pipe,, and remember them saying to make sure the gasket faces in a certain direction. Just wanted to ask are u positive its facing in the right direction, and did u double check if u put it in the right way.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by H F
I was wondering,, Isn't there a certain way the oring gasket goes in . Ive seen the bimmer pipe video and AG pipe,, and remember them saying to make sure the gasket faces in a certain direction. Just wanted to ask are u positive its facing in the right direction, and did u double check if u put it in the right way.
Yeah the wide flat part faces outwards towards the front of the engine.

I've had it sat in nicely. Looks fine and flush, but the pipe won't slide through it. There's always that last 1 - 1.5mm or so that gets squashed.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:34 AM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by carl0s
Yeah the wide flat part faces outwards towards the front of the engine.

I've had it sat in nicely. Looks fine and flush, but the pipe won't slide through it. There's always that last 1 - 1.5mm or so that gets squashed.
just thinking here ,,,could it be the edge of the pipe catching the edge of the gasket.. Wonder if u can get a file and gently bevel the edge of the pipe so it doesn't catch the edge of the gasket and slides right in

Quick Reply: god damn uro parts coolant transfer pipe :(