E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Getting very annoyed with my new car :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='483583' date='Oct 19 2007, 02:56 PM
My new 535d is lovely, but it's starting to p!$ me off. The bl00dy squeak from the brakes is getting worse, so tonight I thought I would take through the local car wash (nice soft bristles, don't panic) which would also jet the wheels from inside, outside and underneath, just incase something was lodged in. ?5 it cost me. But the squeak is still there - if anything it's actually got a bit worse.

What is MUCH MORE ANNOYING however, is the fact that as I pulled in to the car wash, I curbed my front driver alloy Badly So the car wash will end up costing me more like ?100, and the squeak is still there.

So tomorrow, job 1 - find allow wheel repair centre. job 2, drive to BMW and see what they can do about the squeak.

I hate problems with new cars - really puts a damper on the whole "I've got a nice new car" experience.
Car wash-no-no-no. Sorry your having difficult times with the car. Were you following the break in period for the breaks. I believe it's 300 miles no hard breaking. That could be one of the reasons you have a squeak on the wheel, maybe a cut on the rotor. Hopefully the dealership does not try and attribute the noise to the curb rash the wheel now has. Hang in there just one obstacle in life that will be fixed as soon as you take it to the dealer. Good Luck..
Rick..
Old 10-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Contributors

The alloy will be repaired before I take it to the dealer. To be honest, if I have caused damage and need to pay to get it sorted, that's not a problem. Annoying yes, but I would gladly hand over lots of money in exchange for a squeak free brake

I am a bit less stressed now since my original post. The wine has helped. I think there is just something about my family and new E60's. The first one, one week old, somebody crashes in to the back of us - new bumper needed (on their insurance). 2nd E60, week after getting it, we reverse in to a car becaue we are too busy going "ooh look, front parking sensors, see how it shows us an image of the car infront of us as we reverse backwa... CRASH". That one was expensive. And now this one, week after getting it, kerbed alloy. Maybe it's just something we are destined to do ... bash our brand new E60s. Thank god the next car will most likely be an F10 and the curse will be broken. Maybe.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d M-Sport '06 Plate - Carbon Black - Black Leather - Pro Sat Nav - Logic 7 - HUD - Bluetooth - Privacy Glass - 172M 19" Alloys - Heated Seats - PDC - Adaptive Headlights - Extended Voice Control - Paintshield Extended - M5 Boot Finisher - Bright White LED Internal Lighting - Dension Gateway 500 Ipod/USB/Aux Integration

?90 for a repair to a bit of kerbing????? They saw you coming mate!!! Worries me a bit that they're not taking the wheel off either. Not sure how they manage that but I might be wrong.

I've just had mine done for ?40 by the guys at M-Style. I was there anyway picking up the M5 Boot Finisher and a new bumper. Amazing service and a really nice bunch of guys! Might be worth giving them a call in future.

I've used Wicked-Wheels in the past who came to my house too and they charged ?65.

Good luck getting your squeeky brakes sorted. Watch out for them kerbs in future

At least you've got DMS to look forward to in 4 days!

Marc
Old 10-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='483603' date='Oct 19 2007, 02:40 PM
No ... only had the car 6 days ... no wheel cleaner has gone anywhere near the car yet.

Is there any product you can buy that you can spray on the discs through the wheels to eliminate squeak, I wonder? oil/wd40 is probably a bad idea. But at the moment, I could live with crashing in to the car infront as long as the noise goes...!!
Have you tried ear plugs? It makes the Logic 7 sound like the base stereo but the squeak will go away.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Veight' post='483629' date='Oct 19 2007, 04:34 PM
Have you tried ear plugs? It makes the Logic 7 sound like the base stereo but the squeak will go away.

I feel your pain... i have taken my car to the dealer several time for squeaky brakes... its still doing it... i dont know how to stop it.... im going to complain again and again to my SA.........
Old 10-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Veight' post='483629' date='Oct 19 2007, 02:34 PM
That's partly the problem ... I paid something like ?1400 for the individual audio. I love driving round with the windows open and the music playing. Not loud bassy thumping music, but just nice music at an ok volume but appreciating the quality not the decibels. So every time i brake and hear SCREEEEEECH it just completely ruins the whole experience for me. Yes, I could close my windows, but I don't want to In the UK, heated seats, heating on full and windows open is a tradition!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MarcsOnFire' post='483627' date='Oct 19 2007, 02:28 PM
?90 for a repair to a bit of kerbing????? They saw you coming mate!!!
Maybe ... but I was so p!$$ed that it was a case of who would answer my phone call at 8pm and be willing/able to fix over the weekend or first thing Monday. This guy wasn't #1 on my list, but was the first one who could get to me asap. ?40/?65/?90 - not bothered, as long as the damage goes away...!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

As mentioned in another thread, my new 550i had an occasional brake squeak as did my X3 when it was new. I bedded in the brakes and that made a big difference.

Here's the procedure (if you have at least 200 miles on the car so far). This makes sure the pads aren't too "green" and can take some warming up.
Pick a 10-20 mile driving loop with a long straight in the middle of the route and with few stop lights, etc on the return.
Pick a time with minimal traffic late at night or an early weekend morning and head towards the long straight. The straight gives you plenty of sightlines for traffic, police, etc and lets you concentrate on the exercise.
Warm up the brakes with a few moderate 60-45mph brakings.
Then do 4 in a row 60-20mph brakings progressively harder. By the 3rd or 4th, you may even feel ABS. This progressively warms up the brakes and gets the pads to bite in.
Do one last easier brake, never coming to a complete stop in any of the brakings.
Drive home 50-60mph if you can with as little braking as possible. This cools the brakes down.

When you get home, do NOT apply the parking brake if possible. This prevents it from being squashed against hot rotors and causing a problem.

You should virtually eliminate the squeaking. If that doesn't work try the following. NOTE: This is my own idea and it worked great by accident once.

When washing the car and the wheels, spray down the rotors real good as the last thing and pull the car in the garage (or park it over night). The next morning, you should have a fine coat of rust on the rotors. You may hear a bit of a screach just backing the car out of the garage.
Repeat the bedding in procedure above. But this time, try 5-6 hard 60-20 stops. The fine coating of rust is removed and the rust itself helps clean the pads and rotors.

Once fixed, I'd also suggest doing a few hard brakes a week just to help maintain good pad/rotor contact.

DISCLAIMER: If you do too many hard stops in the bedding in or actually feel the brakes starting to fade and don't give it ample time to cool down, you may make things worse. However stock BMW pads can take a lot of abuse before this happens.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Russ, despite the current hiccups, you still have the finest on the road.

I curbed a rear wheel at age four (as in 4) days. No one can see it when it's in motion so I just keep on driving.

You'll get that behind you and you can get back to helping all of us tend to our woes.

i.e., the car wheel was four not, me!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi

The squeaky brake problem has been discussed (i think hard to search for though). I had it on my 04 545 when it was a few months old and the dealer fixed and told me it was the sensors - see this Service Bulletin

Hope it works out

Quick Reply: Getting very annoyed with my new car :(