E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Getting my car repainted?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006 | 05:00 AM
ice
Members

I am not happy with the paint job om my 2005 BMW 525i. I don't much about car paint, so please bear with me. If I get my car repainted in the same colour (carbon black) from a professional spray shop, will that paint job have better quality than BMW's?? I have heard I will able to get more layers of clear coat. Is this true?
Old 12-28-2006 | 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

As long as they use the same paint:

The BMW paint simply SUX !
Old 12-28-2006 | 05:28 AM
Members

The titanium gray pain on my 550 is perfect, and has a brilliant shine to it. Thinking back, ALL my bmw's have had nice paint jobs. What are you guys talking about.

A REPAINT? You've got to be kidding me. That sounds crazy to me.
Old 12-28-2006 | 06:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Titanium Grey Metallic, Auto, Nav., Bluetooth, Cold Pkg., Comfort Seats, Premium Audio

Originally Posted by FairfieldCT' post='371762' date='Dec 28 2006, 09:28 AM
The titanium gray pain on my 550 is perfect, and has a brilliant shine to it. Thinking back, ALL my bmw's have had nice paint jobs. What are you guys talking about.

A REPAINT? You've got to be kidding me. That sounds crazy to me.
My 2005 545i has Titanium Grey Metallic paint. The paint is beautiful and I love it. I actually had to go to a dealer 50 miles away from my home so I can get this particular car with this color. Anyway, ever since I got this car, I noticed that the paint chips and scratches easy. I quickly learned to be more delicate when near the car. If the key or my sunglasses or any other hard object gently touch the car from outside, I noticed that it scratches very easy. I also try to park it away form busy parking spots so I don't get door dings.

My other car (Nissan Maxima SE) has a beautiful black paint job and I can't scratch that paint work as easy as my E60's.
Old 12-28-2006 | 07:07 AM
Contributors

Paint on my car seems very durable. No issues at all.
Old 12-28-2006 | 07:22 AM
Senior Members

DO NOT do that, you will devalue your car

If I am buying a car and discover it has been re-painted for ANY reason I would walk away.
Old 12-28-2006 | 07:23 AM
gpt
Senior Members

It's known that BMW has 'soft' paint. I inquired about this with my dealer and he agreed with this fact but said that it was due to environmental regulations in Germany. I didn't buy this for a second as other German cars do not have the same issue.
Old 12-28-2006 | 09:41 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

isn't the original paint of any car known to be the best you can get?
Old 12-28-2006 | 10:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i 2006 alpine white decota beige interior, GPS, Active steer, Adaptive lamps,rear blinds electric,side blinds

doesn't seem to be a good idea .You can never reproduce the same factory finish and shine.
Old 12-29-2006 | 09:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525i Monaco Blue w/ baige interior, auto, and premium package. My first BMW. Moving up from a 2004 Acura TSX.

Originally Posted by gpt' post='371795' date='Dec 28 2006, 11:23 AM
It's known that BMW has 'soft' paint. I inquired about this with my dealer and he agreed with this fact but said that it was due to environmental regulations in Germany. I didn't buy this for a second as other German cars do not have the same issue.

My 2004 Acura TSX also scratches just from looking at it. It is the result from tougher environmental standards affecting the components used in modern paints. Paints used today are very different from those used just a few years back. The other problem is that not all companies are "early adopters" of some of these new standards. Looks like Acura and BMW are... You just have to be very careful, and maybe consider installing a "clear bra" to protect the front end from stone chips.

As far as repainting your car... This should be the last recourse. Is never going to look the same. You would need to get a really, really good paint job with a full teardown of the car. It will cost you an arm and a leg to have an end result which will be somewhat comparable to the paint that came with your car originally.

Quick Reply: Getting my car repainted?