E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Getting the most out of RTTI...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Does anyone have any advice on maximizing RTTI (real time traffic information)? I guess I'm at a bit of a loss since I have pre LCI nav with the RTTI (9/06 build). Perhaps it is quicker on the LCI cars. My car can take up to 10 minutes (real 60 second minutes) before any relevant local data appears in the display. Sounds like a petty complaint, but I live 2 miles from the highway I take to work. So often the RTTI won't register a traffic jam until I am in it. There are traffic channel settings in the idrive menu.... local 1, local 2 etc... Has anyone experimented with these? I just want a faster response.

Thanks for any input.

Regards,
DRP
Old 09-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

The speed and quality of data that shows up on RTTI is very much down to the speed and quality of the update cycle used by the radio station to which your RTTI receiver is locked on. The lag you experience is very familiar to me - I'm also 2 miles from the highway and often find out about the traffic only when I get there.

The settings in iDrive that you refer to simply tell the RTTI module which radio station to lock on to. I have mine set to "auto" which may or may not result in the thing locking on to the strongest or most recent update transmitter (but it does mean it shifts seamlessly as I drive across the country or into Germany, Belgium or France, all of which I do regularly).

Sorry, I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but there it is. You could try experimenting with the iDrive settings, trying out a different radio station every day, but it does mean that you're going to have to go in there and change it manually if you do a long cross-country drive.

Ps. my car is also a pre-LCI
Old 09-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

That sounds strange because my rtti updates really fast. In fact as soon as I set a destination in NAV, alerts immediately come up. This may just be true in the NYC area, but I find rtti incredibly wonderful. I can also scroll to see problems along my entire route.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: G30 530i M-sport

1600, this may just be down to the speed at which your NYC boradcasters update. Like I said, it is all down to the efficiency of your radio station in getting that information out for our cars to "collect". Once I start getting messages, I do also have the ability to scroll down the window and see them all.

Don't get me wrong re. my comments - I love having RTTI and rely on it quite a lot, especially on my longer drives - I do Amsterdam-Antwerp (150km each way), Amsterdam-Paris (500km each way) and Amsterdam-Nurnberg (580km each way) pretty regularly.

Interesting point about entering a destination and starting guidance. I wonder if this will result in a faster update ...
Old 09-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='474962
That sounds strange because my rtti updates really fast. In fact as soon as I set a destination in NAV, alerts immediately come up. This may just be true in the NYC area, but I find rtti incredibly wonderful. I can also scroll to see problems along my entire route.
Are you saying that as soon as you get in your car and start it, you get traffic information? In other words, do the letters "TI" show up on the bottom of the display screen (even if you don't go to navigation or set any destination?)
Old 09-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='474979' date='Sep 27 2007, 12:04 PM
I haven't done any timing to see how long it takes my (LCI) car to get the initial data but I know it isn't instantaneous. As already suggested, you might want to see if the iDrive settings help out. Maybe if you have it set to 'auto' it takes longer because it spends some time seeking out the stations? Choosing 'local 1' may eliminate the seek time. Again, I have no idea if this will work but it's worth a try.
Are you saying that as soon as you get in your car and start it, you get traffic information? In other words, do the letters "TI" show up on the bottom of the display screen (even if you don't go to navigation or set any destination?)
As soon as the NAV comes up, TI is visible. I start on my route and the alerts are virtually immediate.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i

Originally Posted by 1600' post='474986' date='Sep 27 2007, 12:18 PM
As soon as the NAV comes up, TI is visible. I start on my route and the alerts are virtually immediate.
Even if you just started the car?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='474993' date='Sep 27 2007, 12:34 PM
Even if you just started the car?

Rudy,
I park in an underground. I start the vehicle, work my way out of my space and out of the garage, turn on the NAV, set my destination and voila, alerts come up in about 30 seconds.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i ALS, Nav, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Logic 7

I agree with 1600, my traffic info comes up almost immediately. I live in the Atlanta Ga. Car is a lci 535i. You can watch the traffic info being placed into the list by first going to the traffic info screen while your car is out of sat communication (in the garage for example) then when you get out into the open the traffic info starts almost immediately. It does take about a full minute to complete the process - maybe that is because the Atlanta area traffic is horrible!

Note, I do not have to have a destination pluged into the nav unit. The traffic info is just always there. The advantage of having a destination and route calculated is that will put the traffic info in a sort order which shows the traffic problems closest to you first (top of the list).
Old 12-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 M5
Model Year: 2010
Engine: S85

Has anyone added RTTI to pre-LCI E60 build date 9/06 if it didn't come with it? I was trying to see if this route was cheaper then retrofitting my car for CCC anyone know? Any info would be appreciated. Thank You