E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

gear moving up at low speed instead of going down

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 12:33 AM
PSB
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a recent problem i am having at low-ish speeds ..
this happend to me about 4 - 5 times in the last 3 weeks and everytime it happend i was at a turn
when going into a turn i let go of the gas pedal and let it roll until im out of the apex, as i hit the gas i get a big jerk where i can feel the gear move up and then down and this only happens when i drive at regular speeds .. i dont get this problem if im driving agressivly .. i even took the car into the delearship and took an engineer on a drive with me but after many failed attempts i gave up and tried expaling the problem . he told me they would look into it .. a day later i got a call saying that they rectified the problem .. but as i left the delear i had the same experince
i even tried the 25 second trick to reset the gear box .. but i feel its made it worse .. i dont know what to do and my warrenty is getting over in weeks time ... has anyone had this problem ??? if so what fixed it
Old 12-20-2007, 01:16 AM
PSB
Members

anyone ??
Old 12-20-2007, 01:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Black E60 530i

Originally Posted by PSB' post='508727' date='Dec 20 2007, 04:33 AM
this is a recent problem i am having at low-ish speeds ..
this happend to me about 4 - 5 times in the last 3 weeks and everytime it happend i was at a turn
when going into a turn i let go of the gas pedal and let it roll until im out of the apex, as i hit the gas i get a big jerk where i can feel the gear move up and then down and this only happens when i drive at regular speeds .. i dont get this problem if im driving agressivly .. i even took the car into the delearship and took an engineer on a drive with me but after many failed attempts i gave up and tried expaling the problem . he told me they would look into it .. a day later i got a call saying that they rectified the problem .. but as i left the delear i had the same experince
i even tried the 25 second trick to reset the gear box .. but i feel its made it worse .. i dont know what to do and my warrenty is getting over in weeks time ... has anyone had this problem ??? if so what fixed it
Hello, I also got 06 530i and never noticed this problem but i think what you say the car is doing is correct. As you are rolling without the gas, the car is trying to save your fuel by engine braking, as you softly step on a gas pedal after, the car is thinking you want to go so it shifts up to higher gear since its better for fuel economy, after you notice it, you step on a gas pedal a little bit harder so it shifts to the lower gear again. If its really issue, you dont have to be scared about your warranty since you have reported it before your period ended.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:08 AM
PSB
Members

Originally Posted by prase007' post='508730' date='Dec 20 2007, 05:38 AM
Hello, I also got 06 530i and never noticed this problem but i think what you say the car is doing is correct. As you are rolling without the gas, the car is trying to save your fuel by engine braking, as you softly step on a gas pedal after, the car is thinking you want to go so it shifts up to higher gear since its better for fuel economy, after you notice it, you step on a gas pedal a little bit harder so it shifts to the lower gear again. If its really issue, you dont have to be scared about your warranty since you have reported it before your period ended.
i understand what you are saying but i havent changed my driving style or anything .. so why is this happenings now ?
i know the car records driving style so is ther anyway to clear this apart from the 25s trick .. i dont really think that works
Old 12-20-2007, 04:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Black E60 530i

Originally Posted by PSB' post='508752' date='Dec 20 2007, 08:08 AM
i understand what you are saying but i havent changed my driving style or anything .. so why is this happenings now ?
i know the car records driving style so is ther anyway to clear this apart from the 25s trick .. i dont really think that works
I tested it now, when i was goin for a lunch and my car usually stays on the same gear as I am rolling without the gas and when I am turning it shifts to the lower or stays the same, depends on my speed and how much I pushed the gas pedal.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

This sounds like the dreaded transmissions slam problem. you need to have your dealer update the transmission software.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i | Silver Gray/Blk | Step-Tronic | Sport/Premium Package | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-Down Rear Seats

Originally Posted by PSB' post='508728' date='Dec 20 2007, 02:16 AM
anyone ??
My car has the same lag problem accelerating out of a corner. I had BMW service guy checked and they said it's normal??? I notice it happens on D, so I just drive on DS or M nowadays.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Contributors

If you reported the problem before the warranty runs out and they failed to fix it, it will still be covered. Just make sure you tell them asap that the problem is still there and that they didn't fix it. Try and get a copy of something in writing to prove you first took it in for that fault before the warranty expired.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:46 PM
PSB
Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='508904' date='Dec 20 2007, 04:58 PM
If you reported the problem before the warranty runs out and they failed to fix it, it will still be covered. Just make sure you tell them asap that the problem is still there and that they didn't fix it. Try and get a copy of something in writing to prove you first took it in for that fault before the warranty expired.
thanx a million .. i dont know what i would have done without you guys ... i was nervous wreck thinking about the tons i might have to spend once the warrenty was done ..
i really like this car and it handels amazing but the truth is this car has tooo many small porblems .. its the little things like squeks & rattles which bring this car down .. only if the build quality was a littlwe higher it would have been perfect