E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Funny Smell & Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

I had my car into the dealer last week for a tire rotation & balance. They also replaced the micro filters. Over the next several days I occasionaly noticed a foul smell in the cabin. I thought it might be lingering diesel fumes (my car is gasoline) from trucks in the area but then I ruled this out. I generally notice the odor when the car has been running and I stop and sit. Today I also saw a small amount of smoke coming from under the hood. When I pulled over several minutes later and opened the hood I did not see anything.

I can only describe the odor as something similar to burning oil, maybe a slight hint of overheated brakes, but this is not occuring due to hard braking or hard running. I have an appointment to go back to the dealer but I am afraid I am going to hear the "we can't reproduce the issue". I even had a friend ride with me and it happened with him in the car. He has a 545i and has never had the issue.

Anyone out there with any suggestions or a similar problem? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Burning oil? maybe they didnt install the oil filter properly?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Perhaps they spilled a few drops of oil when they topped off your fluids.

Do you go to Passport?
Old 11-22-2007, 03:14 AM
Members

My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='496832' date='Nov 20 2007, 11:23 AM

Do you go to Passport?

No, I take it to Northwest. It is there now and after looking at it they cannot duplicate the problem. I knew this would probably be the case because it was not happening continually. It was just strange since it started after the tire rotation. I was concerned that a caliper might be sticking or a leak of brake fluid somewhere.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='496832' date='Nov 20 2007, 11:23 AM
+1. Once you've checked to see if all of the caps are tight, I wouldn't worry about it.

I really don't think it is brake fluid. Your master cylinder is on the opposite side of the car from the hot exhaust.

I'd guess they topped up the oil, spilled some, and it dripped onto the exhaust manifold heat shield. They likely wiped up the spill, but there were areas they couldn't reach.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by my1stbeemer' post='496595' date='Nov 19 2007, 07:24 PM
I had my car into the dealer last week for a tire rotation & balance. They also replaced the micro filters. Over the next several days I occasionaly noticed a foul smell in the cabin. I thought it might be lingering diesel fumes (my car is gasoline) from trucks in the area but then I ruled this out. I generally notice the odor when the car has been running and I stop and sit. Today I also saw a small amount of smoke coming from under the hood. When I pulled over several minutes later and opened the hood I did not see anything.

I can only describe the odor as something similar to burning oil, maybe a slight hint of overheated brakes, but this is not occuring due to hard braking or hard running. I have an appointment to go back to the dealer but I am afraid I am going to hear the "we can't reproduce the issue". I even had a friend ride with me and it happened with him in the car. He has a 545i and has never had the issue.

Anyone out there with any suggestions or a similar problem? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Got a call from the dealership today. They figured out the problem. It seems the valve cover gasket is leaking (car has 45K miles on it). This is causing oil to run onto the hot manifold cover, thus the smell & smoke. They tell me it will take most of a day to complete the repair. In the meantime I will continue to enjoy my Accord loaner (LOL) that I have had for six days.