E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fuel Pump Warning - Can I drive while waiting for service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Carbon Black M Sports Package Mod: OEM 166 wheels, 12mm H&R Spacers

I got the fuel pump warning displayed this evening on my 2008 535i (production date Sept, 2007). It states I can still drive but should seek service ASAP.

Not knowing the nature of the fuel pump problem, I know its impossible to say for certain, but generally speaking..... since its Thursday tomorrow and the earlies appointment at BMW dealership is Monday, can I drive the car in the next few days? I can always take the approach that I can drive it and if I break anything as a result of its under warrant anyways, but I'd rather not.

W
Old 05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I would not drive your e60 until they look at it. Worse case scenario is you cause more damage and BMW will ask why you kept driving with the warning....GL

pm member bigbadbull, unfortunately he seems to be the expert about HPFP failures as he's been thru 4 (last I counted/read)
Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Carbon Black M Sports Package Mod: OEM 166 wheels, 12mm H&R Spacers

Originally Posted by xm53r' post='870594' date='May 6 2009, 11:54 PM
I got the fuel pump warning displayed this evening on my 2008 535i (production date Sept, 2007). It states I can still drive but should seek service ASAP.

Not knowing the nature of the fuel pump problem, I know its impossible to say for certain, but generally speaking..... since its Thursday tomorrow and the earlies appointment at BMW dealership is Monday, can I drive the car in the next few days? I can always take the approach that I can drive it and if I break anything as a result of its under warrant anyways, but I'd rather not.

W
Let me rephrase............ "Would you drive it until it gets serviced?"... my prior question it looks for too strong a recommendation, i.e. who would want risk ill advising a fellow E60 forums friend. Just looking for your opinions please. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

NO I wouldnt drive it. If you go on this website, its an official government website for Office of Defects and Investigation, and you search COMPLAINTS on the left hand side, and you click in your car information, so 2008 BWM "5 class" you see that lots of people have had the fuel issue. One person's car completely stalled on a highway at high speed.

I wouldn't take the risk for a couple of days. Plus who knows if they will even cover it. One other complaint said the service advisor told them they put in gasoline with too high of ethanol content. So they may even try blaming it on you.
Good luck.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not drive it. If the fuel pump is not delivering enough fuel, you might lean out and blow something ... if BMW computers don't catch it, and stop the disaster in time. $30/day for a Yaris will pay for itself in gas alone if you drive a lot
Old 05-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

This will probably be the first of many fuel pumps. A friend of mine went through 3 pumps in half a year.
He told me his car was in the shop and I asked him if it was the fuel pump and it was, he was surprised I knew
BMW has failed to create a fuel pump that can reliably run at 30,000 PSI...

Anyway, I wouldn't drive the car much more.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Contributors

If the pump is failing it could also die suddenly, which will leave you stranded on the roadside, probably on a bridge, when you are running late, at night, when it's pouring rain, with your best suit on........
I would not drive it for that reason alone.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='871541' date='May 7 2009, 07:09 PM
If the pump is failing it could also die suddenly, which will leave you stranded on the roadside, probably on a bridge, when you are running late, at night, when it's pouring rain, with your best suit on........
I would not drive it for that reason alone.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:35 PM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

Go to your dealer and ask for a loaner or rental car. This is a KNOWN issue with the N54 engine and BMW has extended the HPFP warranty for all N54 engined cars to 10 YEARS. Your dealer is being a douchebag. There is no reason to have to wait for an appointment.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xm53r' post='870594' date='May 6 2009, 11:54 PM

W
I would contact the Dealership Service Manager and ask that person to arrange a BMW loaner Friday; They can have it available to service Monday and you won't run into any drive-ability issues and be inconvenienced over the weekend.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Warning - Can I drive while waiting for service?