E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

fuel pump fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:59 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi having few issues with my bmw 525d 2004 e60. had the car for 6 months no problem with it until a week or so ago,came to it the other morning and car would not start,small display said cruise control fault and large screen said diesel pump fault,car would turn over but not start,after taking the keys out and trying again it started fine and ran fine for 2 days then same problem,i then looked at the ecu and corrosion on terminals so cleaned them up and car started fine,just got to it this morning and same fault diesel pump fault again took keys out waited a min and tried again and started up fine with no display message.had it checked on computer the other day and got these codes...relay 1 faulty.....glow plug cyl 5 4252...has anyone else had this diesel pump fault????or can anyone shed any light on it for me,,,,,many thanks
Old 02-13-2012, 10:12 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by ady1976
hi having few issues with my bmw 525d 2004 e60. had the car for 6 months no problem with it until a week or so ago,came to it the other morning and car would not start,small display said cruise control fault and large screen said diesel pump fault,car would turn over but not start,after taking the keys out and trying again it started fine and ran fine for 2 days then same problem,i then looked at the ecu and corrosion on terminals so cleaned them up and car started fine,just got to it this morning and same fault diesel pump fault again took keys out waited a min and tried again and started up fine with no display message.had it checked on computer the other day and got these codes...relay 1 faulty.....glow plug cyl 5 4252...has anyone else had this diesel pump fault????or can anyone shed any light on it for me,,,,,many thanks
Hi Ady1976. I Have the same car and just developed the same kind of fault. Car won't start particularly on cold mornings, and I get (in any random order), fuel pump fault, Cruise Control fault, Levels Fault or Drive Control System fault - usually a mixture of all four. Fault first started about two weeks ago - took it to a garage and the guy plugs his computer in and says there are no fault codes except for glow plugs and a comms fault - he reckons the glow plugs are all out, but he hasn't replaced them yet. Not convinced its glow plugs though, because now (when I eventually do get it to start after many turn off and on again attempts) it's started to cut out while driving!

Just wondering if you ever managed to get it fixed and what the cause was if you did?

Many thanks if you or anyone else can help.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Members

My old e46 acted in similar way! Pre supply pump went, would a partially blocked fuel filter cause similar fault?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Members

I had a similar problem last week. We had like -20 Celsius and my diesel fuel froze in my fuel pump. Got the same error you got "Fuel pump fault, drive moderately ....." got the car to the shop, heated the underside of the car up and started up first turn.

I added a diesel fuel additive that prevents freezing.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:08 AM
New Members

Thanks for the replies guys. I had to tow the car to a garage last night as it wouldn't start for love nor kickin' . After being towed for about 3 miles, I tried again and magically, started with no problem. I suspect something wrong with the fuel line somewhere, either filter or pump. Thanks for the suggestion of pre-fuel pump, also. Mine started with the cold weather, although it never reached -20 whe I am, just a mere -3, but I think it's somehow related.
Did you also get the other warnings too (levels, cruise control, fuel pump, drive control), and did they all go away once you corrected the fuel pump issue?

Thanks a million.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Members

The e46 unfortunatley or fortunately maybe didnt throw up faults, no idrive!
Old 11-03-2012, 01:31 AM
New Members

Talking Fixed it!!

OK, it was a while ago now, but I just thought I should reply to this thread in case anyone else is suffering the same issues. It turned out to be a simple relay problem. The relay controls the power to the EMU, which is why when the car wouldn't start, the mechanic couldn't get his computer to talk to the car, but when it would start, the computer would connect and show no faults - the relay which turns the car's computer on itself was faulty! The relay is situated in a box on the top right hand side of the car as you look under the bonnet. To get at it, you have to take off a pile of plastic round the air filters on the top right just under the windscreen, and unscrew an aluminium lid where the EMU sits (about 6 screws). There are a few relays in there, but mine was the blue one - part number 0448 72E, situated at the front of the EMU box. £20 for a new relay, and I changed it myself. Car ran perfectly after that and has been doing ever since. Hope this helps someone else out there with the same problem!
Old 08-15-2022, 04:20 AM
Probation Members

My Ride: 525D Msport 2008 BMW
Default 2008 525d Msport Fuel Pump Fault, Start assistance fault & DBC fault

I had the same issue pop up on my Idrive and dashboard. Trying to start it on a normal warm day about 24 degrees. Car powered on and immediately came up fuel pump fault on Idrive.
tried to start and engine would crank but not fire up.
After multiple attempts of resetting the faults with an OBD reader and BMW wanting £145 just to diagnose the issue I came to the internet for help. Found this thread which doesn’t appear to be a common issue and thought I would give it a try!
Ordered the Engine control relay for £16 off eBay and proceeded to give it a go myself ( not very mechanically minded office worker)
On my model the relay is housed in the engine bay in the top right hand corner on the passenger side. It sits under the pollen filter and some plastic covers. Undone approx 3 quarter turn nuts to pull out the pollen filter housing, Unclipped another panel attached.
Then undone approx 5-6 quarter turn nuts on this plastic housing and one torque screw.
This left me with the fuse box cover which was 5-6 Allen key screws.
Sitting immediately Infront of you under this housing was a small blue relay(pic attached)
popped it out and plugged in the new one and the car started first time and continues to work brilliantly.
It is worth mentioning I have also had DPF warnings and glow plug warnings and a high level of battery discharge plaguing the car since I have owned it and it appears to have got rid of these and is allowing the car to regen itself also.
I can only presume by the replacement of the Engine control relay that certain codes and the relay not allowing my engine to talk to the computer that’s why and the other faults were all thrown out by it not talking properly.
anyway I hope this helps someone else and gives you all a little more detail than the previous guy.
it is relay 7 on the pictures attached any questions please feel free to ask.

Quick mention to BMW thank you for nothing, wouldn’t even look at my car without £145 upfront payment, seriously poor service for a car I have done nothing but loved. You should be ashamed that you don’t take care of customers that have owned your cars, this must be an easy fault for you to diagnose and I hope this thread helps soo many people not having to deal with your service.