E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fuel Mileage Decreasing

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 01:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pjinca
I know but my experience with ALL manufacturers - they use whatever is the most cost effective for them for production and charge way too much for average parts. I know it's a BMW but they want to be profitable too (example HPFP in the 135, 335, 535)
I think your car also has the NGK of Bosch Platinum with 4 electrodes. The philosophy behind that, it the electrical current, most of the time will chose a electrode with less resistance.

To make a long story short, 4 electrode plugs--> a longer interval for changing plugs ( better for consumer)--> plugs in some circumstances not that efficient anymore-->after so many miles, higher fuel consumption and most important Loss of Power.

I change plugs way before 30 K miles. If you can DIY, you could consider change to high performance plugs with 1 electrode , but be ready to change every year or 10 or 15 K miles. I stick to the OEM and change every 2 year. Fuel price is insane in Europe, thats why Did some math and 7,9 US Dollar a Gallon.

Do what you feel happy with
Old 04-23-2010, 05:32 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by krieshan
I think your car also has the NGK of Bosch Platinum with 4 electrodes. The philosophy behind that, it the electrical current, most of the time will chose a electrode with less resistance.

To make a long story short, 4 electrode plugs--> a longer interval for changing plugs ( better for consumer)--> plugs in some circumstances not that efficient anymore-->after so many miles, higher fuel consumption and most important Loss of Power.

I change plugs way before 30 K miles. If you can DIY, you could consider change to high performance plugs with 1 electrode , but be ready to change every year or 10 or 15 K miles. I stick to the OEM and change every 2 year. Fuel price is insane in Europe, thats why Did some math and 7,9 US Dollar a Gallon.

Do what you feel happy with

Hmm good to know, I will check out some HP Plugs and do it this weekend (maybe, I might want to see what that long drive will do to MPG ) Either way it looks like I am going to be changing some plugs. Now to go find some good HP plugs to do it with
Old 04-23-2010, 05:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package/ Step/Orient Blue/ Anthracite Interior/ Navigation/ Cold Weather Package/ Logic 7/Sirius/ Fold down Rear Seats/ Power Rear Shades/ Xenon Adaptive Headlights/ 6000k Fog lights/ LED Angel Eyes/ LED interior/Smoked LED Side Signals/ Shadow Grill/ Shadow line Trim/ Shadow Matte Black Badges

So, the condensation that was coming out from my exhaust is not normal? How do you prevent this? Is there any maintenance that I need to do? Thanks!
Old 04-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
Ok, so back in Feb I had the oil changed and Inspection done (iDrive said I was close to needing both 500 miles to go on each). My car has 55k miles on it now. Since the oil change my mileage has gone down to a sickening 16.5 mpg down from 21.9 before the change. What could be causing this? Sparkplugs? Clogged injectors? I drive the same way as before, although my commute involves a little more street driving now since buying the house.

I had this exact thing at about your mileage. I was down to 14 MPG!!!!!!!! I replaced my spark plugs with new NGK Iridium plugs and also did the $140 BMW Fuel injector service at the dealership. After that my car was at 23 MPG!!!! It was a HUGE difference.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by manaiauds
So, the condensation that was coming out from my exhaust is not normal? How do you prevent this? Is there any maintenance that I need to do? Thanks!

When the exhaust pipe is cold, water vapor will condense as the exhaust cools on the pipe. After the pipe heats up, the vapor will not condense. Remember that the combustion of hydrocarbon fuel produces both carbon dioxide AND water vapor as a normal part of the process. All gasoline engines produce water vapor and all water vapor condenses if the exhaust pipe is cool.

HOWEVER......If it's running out of the tailpipe all the time after the car has already warmed up and you're losing water from your cooling system then yes it is not good. It may be a blown/cracked head. And no, this is not good. If this is the problem, it would be a major rebuild.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer
When the exhaust pipe is cold, water vapor will condense as the exhaust cools on the pipe. After the pipe heats up, the vapor will not condense. Remember that the combustion of hydrocarbon fuel produces both carbon dioxide AND water vapor as a normal part of the process. All gasoline engines produce water vapor and all water vapor condenses if the exhaust pipe is cool.

HOWEVER......If it's running out of the tailpipe all the time after the car has already warmed up and you're losing water from your cooling system then yes it is not good. It may be a blown/cracked head. And no, this is not good. If this is the problem, it would be a major rebuild.
Nope I only have condensation when it's cold. When it warms up it's fine, besides I have CPO and Maint warranties - if the engine blows I am out $50
Old 04-23-2010, 06:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer
I had this exact thing at about your mileage. I was down to 14 MPG!!!!!!!! I replaced my spark plugs with new NGK Iridium plugs and also did the $140 BMW Fuel injector service at the dealership. After that my car was at 23 MPG!!!! It was a HUGE difference.

I am going to check into Howie, thanks - NGK Iridiums IX are about $6/ea near me, pretty cheap insurance really
Old 04-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Contributors

I feel the same as you JOhn. It seems my gas consumption has increased and am wondering if I should replace my plugs since I'm at the same mileage as you. Ross and I were thinking of doing the DIY for plugs.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi
I feel the same as you JOhn. It seems my gas consumption has increased and am wondering if I should replace my plugs since I'm at the same mileage as you. Ross and I were thinking of doing the DIY for plugs.
I would do it DIY if I were you guys too, it isn't hard and there is no sense paying someone else to do it.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Contributors

The DIY's look to be pretty easy, but I think having the right tools is what's key, as is the case for most jobs right?

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Decreasing