E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fuel Mileage Decreasing

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Ok, so back in Feb I had the oil changed and Inspection done (iDrive said I was close to needing both 500 miles to go on each). My car has 55k miles on it now. Since the oil change my mileage has gone down to a sickening 16.5 mpg down from 21.9 before the change. What could be causing this? Sparkplugs? Clogged injectors? I drive the same way as before, although my commute involves a little more street driving now since buying the house.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen on '06 525i manual. It constantly showed around 25 to 27 mpg but after in combined driving (little bit more of highway than street)but after the oil change & reset it has never inched passed 22 or 23 mpg part of it being i drive on street more so now than before and the computer calculates the average consumption every so many gallons a tankful. If you go on a long trip (400 miles or so) u will see it creep back up and after that the average mpg will stay up there because it will factor in your long highway trip average with the most recent mpg as well. So don't worry about it, everything is fine or take a good long scenic trip to prove me right.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

Add to your list.. low tire pressure, cheap gas, dirty air filters. I'm assuming car is running smooth? If it has 55K miles on the plugs, could it be? Do you get any condensation in your exhaust tail pipe when you warm up the car in the morning?

And finally - LEAD FOOT?
Old 04-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Members

i am in SOCAL and have noticed i do get condensation fumes on the exhaust pipes but only when the weather is cool. u think there is something that i should get serviced ? i thought it was normal due to mileage, i am at 57000 miles right now.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package/ Step/Orient Blue/ Anthracite Interior/ Navigation/ Cold Weather Package/ Logic 7/Sirius/ Fold down Rear Seats/ Power Rear Shades/ Xenon Adaptive Headlights/ 6000k Fog lights/ LED Angel Eyes/ LED interior/Smoked LED Side Signals/ Shadow Grill/ Shadow line Trim/ Shadow Matte Black Badges

I'm also getting the same mileage 14.6 mpg/city and condensation is present in my tail pipe when I warm up the car in the morning. Just had an oil change, filter change and transmission oil change.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by manaiauds
I'm also getting the same mileage 14.6 mpg/city and condensation is present in my tail pipe when I warm up the car in the morning. Just had an oil change, filter change and transmission oil change.
You must find a reason to drive longer and burn out that water. Seriously.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

14.6????? ouch.....
Old 04-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vickp
I had the same thing happen on '06 525i manual. It constantly showed around 25 to 27 mpg but after in combined driving (little bit more of highway than street)but after the oil change & reset it has never inched passed 22 or 23 mpg part of it being i drive on street more so now than before and the computer calculates the average consumption every so many gallons a tankful. If you go on a long trip (400 miles or so) u will see it creep back up and after that the average mpg will stay up there because it will factor in your long highway trip average with the most recent mpg as well. So don't worry about it, everything is fine or take a good long scenic trip to prove me right.
Hmm, I will be driving to Vegas on Sunday so we'll see what happens

Originally Posted by stock545i
Add to your list.. low tire pressure, cheap gas, dirty air filters. I'm assuming car is running smooth? If it has 55K miles on the plugs, could it be? Do you get any condensation in your exhaust tail pipe when you warm up the car in the morning?

And finally - LEAD FOOT?
Let's see, tire pressure is at 35PSI (20" recommended pressure), gas is ALWAYS Shell V-Power 91 (max in Cali), Air Filter is a relatively new K&N and I just cleaned my MAF when I replaced it. Car is running as smooth as ever no condensation unless it's below 55F, Oh and as I said originally - I am driving the same way I always have been.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by manaiauds
Okay 14.6 makes me feel better - thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by pjinca
although my commute involves a little more street driving now since buying the house.
I think thats your problem right here... more streets... it take a lot of gas to get the car moving from a standstill....

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Decreasing