E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010 | 09:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package/ Step/Orient Blue/ Anthracite Interior/ Navigation/ Cold Weather Package/ Logic 7/Sirius/ Fold down Rear Seats/ Power Rear Shades/ Xenon Adaptive Headlights/ 6000k Fog lights/ LED Angel Eyes/ LED interior/Smoked LED Side Signals/ Shadow Grill/ Shadow line Trim/ Shadow Matte Black Badges

Hi to all,
The dealer was charging me for $690.00 + tax just to change the fuel filter, is this the ongoing rate for that job? Is there a DIY on how to change the fuel filter? My SA told me that fuel filter is not included in my extended warranty but my oil change, break pads and air filter was done recently and it was covered.
Old 06-01-2010 | 11:17 AM
Senior Members

that much for a fuel filter change? I better look into the owner's manual to find out when mine is due for a replacement.
Old 06-01-2010 | 11:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

I don't know what the cost is, but if it is indeed $700...then the filter must be located somewhere VERY difficult and time consuming to get to. Because changing a fuel filter is generally simply removing the inflow hose and the outflow hose from the existing filter...then reconnecting those hoses to the new filter and your done. BUT, if you have to remove a whole bunch of stuff to get to it, then that takes a whole bunch of time, and THAT can get expensive. Just a guess...I really suspect that there is a misunderstanding somewhere...cause I can't imagine $700 being correct.
Old 06-01-2010 | 11:59 AM
Senior Members

part itself is $179.00 . I figure a minimum of 1 hr labor....
Old 06-01-2010 | 12:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Thats because AFAIK the fuel filter is located in the tank itself, and the part alone is like $200, so I could see the dealer charging somewhere in the $600-700 range for replacing the unit.
Old 06-01-2010 | 01:34 PM
Members

The fuel filter is part of the sending unit, that is in the gas tank. which includes the fuel pump and fuel level sender. It is replaced from under the rear seat. $364.00 for the part and 3 hrs labor I would say they are right on.
Old 06-02-2010 | 12:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

when do you change the fuel filter?
at what KM?
Old 06-02-2010 | 03:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package/ Step/Orient Blue/ Anthracite Interior/ Navigation/ Cold Weather Package/ Logic 7/Sirius/ Fold down Rear Seats/ Power Rear Shades/ Xenon Adaptive Headlights/ 6000k Fog lights/ LED Angel Eyes/ LED interior/Smoked LED Side Signals/ Shadow Grill/ Shadow line Trim/ Shadow Matte Black Badges

Thank you all for the reply. Do I really need to change the fuel filter? The car was intermittently jerking at 40 - 50 mph on DS and D, the dealer told me that the fuel was somewhat restricted, so they want to change the fuel filter to see if that was really the culprit. I told them to hold off on it because they were not certain about it and they want to do a trial and error at my expense. What are the symptoms for a clogged fuel filter? Will this affect the fuel pump in the near future? Will this affect my extended maintenance, just in case the fuel pump goes bad or anything that is related to the fuel system. BTW 75k miles on the car. Any input is pretty much appreciated. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2010 | 03:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530iA 04

Originally Posted by manaiauds
Thank you all for the reply. Do I really need to change the fuel filter? The car was intermittently jerking at 40 - 50 mph on DS and D, the dealer told me that the fuel was somewhat restricted, so they want to change the fuel filter to see if that was really the culprit. I told them to hold off on it because they were not certain about it and they want to do a trial and error at my expense. What are the symptoms for a clogged fuel filter? Will this affect the fuel pump in the near future? Will this affect my extended maintenance if just in case the fuel pump goes bad? Any input is pretty much appreciated. Thank you!
Just spoke to my dealer and find out that no need to change fuel filter whats so ever and this jerking problem should be noticed by GT1 computer test.That`s why it`s so expensive.
Old 06-02-2010 | 09:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Just had mine replaced and the cost was $170 for the filter and $480 for labor (with a 15% discount)... Not cheap!

Cheers, Jon.

Originally Posted by mfrasca
The fuel filter is part of the sending unit, that is in the gas tank. which includes the fuel pump and fuel level sender. It is replaced from under the rear seat. $364.00 for the part and 3 hrs labor I would say they are right on.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter