Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

FTM to TPMS upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FTM to TPMS upgrade

Is it possible to upgrade my 2004 to Tire Pressure Monitoring System? I'm annoyed trying to find the leaky tire, considering that for some reason I've had several tire issues in the last 3 months.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by Jaybird180
Is it possible to upgrade my 2004 to Tire Pressure Monitoring System? I'm annoyed trying to find the leaky tire, considering that for some reason I've had several tire issues in the last 3 months.
Well, as many here have proven... just about anything can be done with enough time and money. Realistically? Probably not worth even trying. By the time you buy all of the sensors and receivers, replace the other car modules necessary to support the function and try to find a shop that will program the whole thing for you... you may be both old and broke.

You're better off just getting into a habit of monitoring the tires manually on a regular basis to determine the culprit tire (and recognize that the FTM system will occasionally give false alarms, ie. with ambient temp changes), then take it to a reputable shop for repair/replacement.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Whats wrong with FTM, I personally prefer FTM. My Murano has TPMS and I with it didn't, in the winter on really cold days it always goes off saying I have low tires when I don't.
The following users liked this post:
FormerE30Owner (05-02-2022)
Old 10-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Can someone explain how TPMS operates and what you need on the wheels/tires themselves to monitor it? In other words, if I have TPMS currently, and want to change my rims/tires, what do I have to do to ensure I still have it? I've noticed that when some sell their wheels/tires, they say that TPMS is not included. I'm just trying to understand what they mean by that. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

With all the problems people have with TPMS why would you want something like this installed?

If a person really wanted to install something like this I guess you could put an aftermarket system on.

Fix the issue you have, which is the leaky rim or tire. All the tpms will do is tell you that tire is low, it is not going to fix the leak, it is not going to put air in the tire, you will still have to find out the cause of the leak and fix that, so you are still in the same boat your were before.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Take each tire\wheel off and put it in a kiddie pool filled with water. Leave it there awhile and look for bubbles. Test each tire\wheel.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Contributors

Our big fat soft tires are nail magnets ... I feel your pain! Anytime a remodeling job is going on in my neighborhood I can count on picking up a nail or screw!

But FTM or TPMS should alert you nearly equally. Aside from regular tire pressure checks I suggest you invest in a portable 12V air compressor to provide a little extra help should you need to correct tire pressure away from home. I suppose a good road service plan wouldn't hurt either.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:56 AM
Members

Good suggestion on the 12v pump, as I have one. Sometimes the leak is so small that I cannot visually find it. I can usually feel the wobble and when I do find the offending tire, it is off by only 3lbs as measured by my Accu-Gauge.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: e60

dont bother retrofitting

:l

just buy an aftermarket add on

http://www.vulcantire.com/orange_409_sys.htm
Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

Originally Posted by jayarras
Can someone explain how TPMS operates and what you need on the wheels/tires themselves to monitor it? In other words, if I have TPMS currently, and want to change my rims/tires, what do I have to do to ensure I still have it? I've noticed that when some sell their wheels/tires, they say that TPMS is not included. I'm just trying to understand what they mean by that. Thanks!

TPMS is a little module-looking part that screws inside the wheel valve opening and it communicates with the sensor on the car to determine the tire pressure. If you sell your wheels and or upgrade wheels make sure you take the TPMS sensors out first (taking the tire off), or that the new set have them included.

Quick Reply: FTM to TPMS upgrade