E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

FTM System

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Grey Metallic SMG, Black Nasca Leather, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Ventilated Seats, Sat Radio, Split Folding Rear Seats

Anyone know why the Flat Tire Monitor in iDrive doesn't report on what the tire pressure is? Maybe I don't check tire pressure enough, but I'm tired of iDrive telling me I have a flat tire and having to check all four tires, to find one that is a bit low.

It would be nice if iDrive was smart enough to tell you which tire was low, and have an option of not telling you it is punctured when in fact it is not, just one in need of a bit of air.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

It doesn't know.

It compares the speed of rotation of the different wheels, a flat one is smaller so turns more at any given speed. In theory it could tell you which one it is complaining about, don't know whether it does, presumably not from your experience.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

the system cant tell you whats the tyre presures because it doesnt know....i just monitors the speed of which the wheels, and when it feels a tyre is doing something wrong is says there is a tyre puncture....
it doesnt use sensors inside the tyres so it doesnt know the preasure or the tempreature of the wheel like some other systems...

but if you are having this warrning pop up every couple of days then u may have a pucture...
when i first bought my car, this happened every two days it would say there is a tyre puncture and the front left would be a bit low on preasure...i checked the tyre by looking and i found nothing wrong with it and since the car was new i thought maybe some thing was wrong before i took the car...anyways i took it to the dealer and they removed the tyre and found a nail. the tyres dont deflate immediatly but slowly, and were very good....i have no idea how it happened i didnt take it anywhere...but anyways they fixed it free of charge... i think you really have a puncture not a malfunction... you should check it out...
Old 03-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Grey Metallic SMG, Black Nasca Leather, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Ventilated Seats, Sat Radio, Split Folding Rear Seats

According to the owner's manual it compares the pressure in the tires and if one is out of the acceptable range of the others it alerts you. On mine I have runflats so the tire rotation speed should be pretty consistent.

The thing that confuses me about your theory on the tire rotation speed is the reset of the system. When you get the four tires to the right pressure you have to reset the system. I may very well be wrong so I appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by madoon' post='253025' date='Mar 10 2006, 05:49 PM
the system cant tell you whats the tyre presures because it doesnt know....i just monitors the speed of which the wheels, and when it feels a tyre is doing something wrong is says there is a tyre puncture....
it doesnt use sensors inside the tyres so it doesnt know the preasure or the tempreature of the wheel like some other systems...

but if you are having this warrning pop up every couple of days then u may have a pucture...
when i first bought my car, this happened every two days it would say there is a tyre puncture and the front left would be a bit low on preasure...i checked the tyre by looking and i found nothing wrong with it and since the car was new i thought maybe some thing was wrong before i took the car...anyways i took it to the dealer and they removed the tyre and found a nail. the tyres dont deflate immediatly but slowly, and were very good....i have no idea how it happened i didnt take it anywhere...but anyways they fixed it free of charge... i think you really have a puncture not a malfunction... you should check it out...
It's never the same tire and it isn't a regular occurence, although it is beginning to happen every few weeks. For example, 6 weeks ago it was the front right, about a month ago it was front left, and today it was rear left.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by madoon' post='253025' date='Mar 10 2006, 05:49 PM

Also, your right I don't think it is a malfunction, I guess what I'm looking for is a more advanced system that monitors actual pressure instead of the methods currently used.

Anyone ever run your runflats flat? How easy is it to tell which is flat, drive or appearance?
Old 03-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

are u sure youd setting they systtem up corrrectly..next time u adjust the preasures reset the system...i didnt feel a change in drive when i had a puncture...and i was very small diffrence in apperance to notice, but it was noticeable at times...the system cannot detect normal drops in tyre preasures...i can only detect when one tyre drops its preasure in an abnormal way....so when the system goes off a tyre is doing something it shouldnt

if u see a puncture soon after reseting the system...i suggest u visit the dealler cause u probably have something wrong maybe a really puncture...or a damaged valuve or something wrong with the rims...
Old 03-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Man you guys go for a whole month w.out checking your tire pressures?? Amazing... I cant go 2 weeks w.out checking them.

I like to have all my tires no more than like 2 psi off for many reasons... tire wear... I want to MAXIMIZE my tire life, Tires to all the acceleration, all the stopping, all the turning... proper tire pressure also give better gas milage. Pretty important... Cant understand why people are so lazy about taking care of their tires, is it really that hard?

One car I bought used... the tire looked very low so I went and measured it... 13psi!!!!! 13!!!!!! People are amazing...