E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

FTM Monitor false alarm

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 10:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just took my car on a 400 mile trip to Cleveland across the PA and Ohio turnpikes. Along the way I had two interesting issues crop up.

First, along the turnpike they were doing some roadwork, and the pavement was uneven and had different surfaces. The two left wheels were on a different heignt and different surface than the two right wheels. At that point the FTM monitor said there was a flat. I pulled into the nearest service area, and looked at the tires. Because they are run flats, you cannot tell easily if there is a problem with the tire, and the monitor does not tell you which tire is flat.

I called BMW roadside assistance, and they told me check air pressure in the tires. I did this, and all tires were at proper pressure. I then reset the monitor, and since that point have had no further FTM alarms. I assume that the different level pavement may have fooled the sensor, but I am not sure why that would trigger it.

Second issue was the audio settings in the iDrive. I set those when I got the car, and never have had a problem. During the recent trip, suddenly, the audio sounded boomy in the bass, and I checked the settings, and they all had changed by themselves. I reset them, and so far no further self adjustments have occurred. Maybe the iDrive didn't like my taste in music.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by legalman' date='Aug 1 2004, 02:37 PM
Second issue was the audio settings in the iDrive. I set those when I got the car, and never have had a problem. During the recent trip, suddenly, the audio sounded boomy in the bass, and I checked the settings, and they all had changed by themselves. I reset them, and so far no further self adjustments have occurred. Maybe the iDrive didn't like my taste in music.
Is it possible you used the other car key?
Old 08-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Members

i was up headed to york, pa couple of weeks back when i got the FTM warning. pulled over and visually inspected tires, i replaced my run flats with pirelli p-zero's, anyway, no flat tire/s of course. there were 2 other passengers in the car, my brother who's about 240 lbs was seated on the right rear. anyway, i told him to sit in the middle, resetted the FTM and no more warnings after that. not sure how it really occurred. the previous night i had 4 adults and no problem.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:45 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by legalman' date='Aug 1 2004, 01:37 PM
First, along the turnpike they were doing some roadwork, and the pavement was uneven and had different surfaces. The two left wheels were on a different heignt and different surface than the two right wheels.
FTM checks to see if any tire is losing pressure referencing the others. Would it be possible that the two tires on the lowest side were bearing more of the load and the two elevated tires with less load appeared to FTM to have lost pressure?
Old 08-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I read it has to to with the turningcycle of the tires so if one wheel has to turn more than the other it wil trigger it..
Old 08-01-2004, 12:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Guest_gonzo40' date='Aug 1 2004, 08:43 PM
anyway, i told him to sit in the middle,

I am going to compile a 'funniest bits of the forum' paper...

This is another classic..
Old 08-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Aug 1 2004, 10:07 PM
I am going to compile a 'funniest bits of the forum' paper...
Don't let us wait too long!
Old 08-01-2004, 12:51 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 1 2004, 02:48 PM
I read it has to to with the turningcycle of the tires so if one wheel has to turn more than the other it wil trigger it..
Thought that was the way DSC worked.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

It actually uses the DSC sensors.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:36 PM
Senior Members

We experienced numerous RPA-warnings, all until we heightened the tyre pressure from 2,2/2,3 to 2,5/2,8 bar (normal weight vs. added weight) for our vacation. Since then we haven't had a single one (compared to 6-7 errors with the lower pressure setting). An indication that the tyres may be punctured or in some other way lack the ability to retain a "low" pressure? Or is this only a result of defects and bugs in the RPA/"FTM" monitoring system?

Our car is equipped with the std. 124 rims with runflat Dunlop tyres.

-paasan

Quick Reply: FTM Monitor false alarm