E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

FSU, Heater Blower Resistor, servotronic...etc...etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! I am new to the BMW world.

I bought an '06 BMW 550i a few months ago and have fallen in love with it until relatively recently.

First the heater fan kept blowing after the car was turned off. My local dealership said not to worry about it unless it happened again... It happened again and killed my battery. I got a jump, removed the blower fuse(since I'd already decided this was a resistor issue) and thought it would be fine...wrong, dead battery the next morning. Today I hook my charger/jumper up and start the car again letting it charge by driving it around some. I notice that the steering is absolutely horrible, like stiff as when I would be going 100+mph. Looked through the errors and got a Servotronic error.

Where I am now: Ordered the FSU/heater blower resistor and have it scheduled to be put in sometime late this coming week.(I would put it in myself but broke some clips trying to disassemble the dash and now I'm too scared to.)

My question: Does my battery completely dying twice have anything to do with the Servotronic error?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to be in love again!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Members

Cool. Thanks for the responses you stuck-up faggots
Old 11-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by clsutton21
I bought an '06 BMW 550i a few months ago...

The blower kept running after the ignition was turned off.
My local dealership said not to worry about it unless it happened again... It happened again and drained the cars battery.

Looked through the errors and got a Servotronic error.

Where I am now: Ordered the FSU/heater blower resistor and have it scheduled to be put in sometime late this coming week.(I would put it in myself but broke some clips trying to disassemble the dash and now I'm too scared to.)

My question: Does my battery completely dying twice have anything to do with the Servotronic error?
Find a new dealer. Those guys know not what they are talking about.
You need a new Blower Motor Output Stage (what connects the blower to the rest of the AC control system). You're either calling this part by the 'legacy' term or you got the wrong part entirely.

The Servotronic error may have been produced because of low voltage in the electrical system. Most of the sensors report false data when the system voltage is low. Servotronic works from the ABS sensors - so if they are reporting an "error" the default steering is used. The default is the heaviest which is what you are feeling (i.e. little to no power steering at all - like in the old days kids!).

There's no need to take the dash apart... the Blower Motor Output Stage is behind/underneath the glove box. Not sure why you're taking the dash apart aside from mis-guided intuition.

Have you tried to drive the car again?

(BTW, remove fuse F3 is you want to completely disable the blower motor.)

Any time. This is also why you'll never see me at any BMW meetups... Too many pricks like you that don't know a tool from your ass. Or how to read a manual.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by or_550i
Find a new dealer. Those guys know not what they are talking about.You need a new Blower Motor Output Stage (what connects the blower to the rest of the AC control system). You're either calling this part by the 'legacy' term or you got the wrong part entirely.The Servotronic error may have been produced because of low voltage in the electrical system. Most of the sensors report false data when the system voltage is low. Servotronic works from the ABS sensors - so if they are reporting an "error" the default steering is used. The default is the heaviest which is what you are feeling (i.e. little to no power steering at all - like in the old days kids!).There's no need to take the dash apart... the Blower Motor Output Stage is behind/underneath the glove box. Not sure why you're taking the dash apart aside from mis-guided intuition.Have you tried to drive the car again?(BTW, remove fuse F3 is you want to completely disable the blower motor.)
I googled the part you said. Seems to me that it's the exact same thing as what I ordered...also known as the Final Stage Unit. All I know is that it is killing my battery and the fan is sporadic in speed. When I searched for that all I saw was FSU this and Blower Motor resistor that.

The Servotronic error is intermittent depending on the battery charge (no longer holds charge now so it will be getting replaced).

Where is that part you're talking about on the 550i? I see nothing with wires at all anywhere behind the glovebox when I look. I've driven the car a lot, but I have to jump it everyday. I also removed that fuse, the fan no longer blows, but the battery is dead in the morning none-the-less.

I apologize about the insult, I just hate never getting answers anywhere I go. However, I do know a tool from my ass...I've just never worked on a plastic automobile...The only thing I had before this was an 85 Chevy pick-up.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:19 AM
New Members

Your battery dying overnight could be i b s. Intelligent battery sensor. The module has prob died. Mine did same. BMW just disconnected it at the battery terminals Not had a problem since ?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Members
Senior Members

wtf ?