E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Frustrated & Disheartened

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by carolbob
I ended up having to replace the electric radiator fan. I hope I don?t have another lemon on my hand, I traded in my 2005 Acura TSX for the 5. In 2009, I put 7K into the Acura as it just literally started falling apart. I live in the desert and wonder if my car is more susceptible to breaking down than those in colder areas? I know it?s harder on tires and batteries. I?m already concerned that my car may become a constant headache (lemon) am I being premature?

Yes, you are being premature. It isn't a lemon yet, it has had some nigling issues but nothing that would make me consider it a lemon yet, if you are always having the same problem then yes it's a lemon, but a variety of small issues covered under warranty? Nah, not that bad
Old 05-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carolbob
I?ve only had the car for 6 months and today my temperature light went on, air conditioning went out, and was stranded on the side of the road in 100 degree weather for an hour. Not something I expect from an 08 CPO car This was my 4th trip to the dealership for issues. The other 3 times includedassenger side mirror and door switch replaced, steering wheel column replaced, and transmission slip corrected by software upgrade. I?m grateful the other things have not been major, but to take time off work to deal with car issues on a relatively new car is unacceptable to me.

Is this how it is with these cars? This is my 1st bimmer and I can?t say I?ve ever spent so much time at a dealership with a car so new to me. Opinion? Support? Advice?
The overheating / A?C issue is very unfortunate experience and shouldn't be expected ... the transmission issue I'd rank as SERIOUS; the Steering Column - are you referring to the steering angle sensor> Unfortunately that's a common and known problem area. The trim switches and such not so much - and shouldn't be expected - especially on an '08 CPO unless the previous owner used them like X-Box controllers.

But 4 dealer visits in 6 months!! I don't think you're being too fussy so I'd rank that up there as a potential customer relations problem and suggest you consider putting your complaints politely and detailed, in writing to BMWNA and cc the selling / servicing dealer general manager.

IMHO, unless they can arrange for an EXPERT BMW TECH to examine your car bumper to bumper, sort out every issue that may have been ignored in the certification process, and put it in writing ... and NOT CHARGE YOU the $50 Certification Deductable, I'd be clear to BMWNA they may be in the position of losing a customer.

I suspect the overall situation is specific to the car you bought - not every original BMW owner treats his/her BMW gingerly.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Howitzer
I've said it before in a post and I think its true:

I made sure that my 530 was not "fully loaded". No active roll stabalization, no navigation, no hud, no extra gadgets all over. The only thing I was looking for was the premium package and cold weather package, xenons, and it just so happened the car had sunshades. Because of the simplicity of my car, I've been fortunate to not be plagued with many issues that come with cars that are full of computers.

Just imagine going to work with 25 laptops and having to multi-task with them all running perfectly all the time for years on end? Not gonna happen...
Sport Package is a must over everything else in a BMW. If there was only one option to choose, it would be that.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

Originally Posted by luigi524td
The overheating / A?C issue is very unfortunate experience and shouldn't be expected ... the transmission issue I'd rank as SERIOUS; the Steering Column - are you referring to the steering angle sensor> Unfortunately that's a common and known problem area. The trim switches and such not so much - and shouldn't be expected - especially on an '08 CPO unless the previous owner used them like X-Box controllers.

But 4 dealer visits in 6 months!! I don't think you're being too fussy so I'd rank that up there as a potential customer relations problem and suggest you consider putting your complaints politely and detailed, in writing to BMWNA and cc the selling / servicing dealer general manager.

IMHO, unless they can arrange for an EXPERT BMW TECH to examine your car bumper to bumper, sort out every issue that may have been ignored in the certification process, and put it in writing ... and NOT CHARGE YOU the $50 Certification Deductable, I'd be clear to BMWNA they may be in the position of losing a customer.

I suspect the overall situation is specific to the car you bought - not every original BMW owner treats his/her BMW gingerly.
I am thinking about writing them. The mirror switches were broken when I pulled out of the dealership after I just bought my car so I wonder how my car could be possibly be CPO if no one ever checked out the mirror switches. I just assumed they went over the car with a fine toothed comb. Do you think it would be appropriate if I asked them to examine my car bumper to bumper? Should I ask for anything else?
Old 05-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NYC530XI
However, these cars were all missing something. They were missing a "connection" between the car and the road. These cars are all very generic to drive. I found that connection with BMW.
Seems to me that the reason your car is connected to the road is because it is about 3 feet lower than mine. LOL