E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Frustrated & Disheartened

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i

I?ve only had the car for 6 months and today my temperature light went on, air conditioning went out, and was stranded on the side of the road in 100 degree weather for an hour. Not something I expect from an 08 CPO car This was my 4th trip to the dealership for issues. The other 3 times includedassenger side mirror and door switch replaced, steering wheel column replaced, and transmission slip corrected by software upgrade. I?m grateful the other things have not been major, but to take time off work to deal with car issues on a relatively new car is unacceptable to me.

Is this how it is with these cars? This is my 1st bimmer and I can?t say I?ve ever spent so much time at a dealership with a car so new to me. Opinion? Support? Advice?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Get used to it
Old 05-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i 2007 750i

That's kind of a bad answer.

I don't think it's that typical for a BMW to be broken, to the point of it's owners having to get used to it.
It must be either the quality control actually screwed up and let a car that has previously been malfunctioning out as CPO, or a whole lotta bad luck and coincidence.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

In all seriousness, your experience isn't typical - at least not from my past experience nor the experience from friends. I hope the problems you're experiencing will be resolved. I don't know what to say except that I understand what you're going through. Own lemon in the past, even though I lost quit a bit of money, I was relieved when I traded it for something else.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by carolbob
I?ve only had the car for 6 months and today my temperature light went on, air conditioning went out, and was stranded on the side of the road in 100 degree weather for an hour. Not something I expect from an 08 CPO car This was my 4th trip to the dealership for issues. The other 3 times includedassenger side mirror and door switch replaced, steering wheel column replaced, and transmission slip corrected by software upgrade. I?m grateful the other things have not been major, but to take time off work to deal with car issues on a relatively new car is unacceptable to me.

Is this how it is with these cars? This is my 1st bimmer and I can?t say I?ve ever spent so much time at a dealership with a car so new to me. Opinion? Support? Advice?
To answer your question - "is that how it is with these cars": You shouldn't be going to the dealer excessively. Maybe you have simply had a run off bad luck on some basic issues: many people on the board have noted some level of transmission issues and the need for a software upgrade. Your have also noted replacement of two switches on the door (mirror and window). Your car was used and possibly the previous driver was hard on these. Maybe the air conditioning was murphy's law. However, if you continue to have problems your particular car may be a bit of a lemon.

Did you happen to see the service history on the car? Was it in the shop excessively with the previous owner and if so was there a pattern? Possibly there is an underlying problem with your car that caused it to be sold by the last owner and the dealer wasn't up front about it. If so, the service history might provide insight.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 545 2005 Model. Full spec so happy with as is.(for the moment!)

Let me just add a quickie, I was drawn into the BMW brand by their impecable engineering and build quality. Over the last 20 years I have not had many if any problems until recentley !!!!
Change of policy perhaps....
Old 05-06-2010, 01:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 E60 523 executive 20"ASA / Bi-Xenon / Full M-tech / LED Angel Eyes / Matte Black Kidney's / LED Side Markers

Although you should not" get used to it" , it is a fact that built quality of BMW and MINI are not what they used to be...

My dad owned about 5 7 series back in the days (way back ) and never experienced any problems...
It seems since the decided to fill up the car with electronic gadget, things went south...

I owned a 745 a couple of months back, and all I did is drive home from the dealer and back

Phone and Bluetooth did not work

Navi quit on me

And the battery malfunctioned several times...

With my 2007 MINI Cooper S (see my other topic in other BMW vehicles)

Troubles I got in 6 months:

- Engine rattle (engine sound like a diesel) typical on all R56 S models
- Dynamo (not sure if you guys call it that..) changed
- Tranny changed
- Leaking headlight

So...to be short...enjoy your E60 and thank GOD for warranty
[font="'Lucida Grande"]Because after all...BMW rules BIG TIME!![/font]
Old 05-06-2010, 03:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

i've had plenty of issues with mine since i've owned it (last 8 months). I'm feeling the same way as you.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Here's my take on it...as time goes on, cars are getting more and more computerized, and thus, more complicated. In the "old days", being a quality car builder meant being able to build good engines, suspenisons, brakes, axles, bodies, etc. Today, every piece of the car is computer controlled. BMW is NOT a computer systems company, so they (like every other car company) get the computer control systems from 3rd parties outside of BMW. The fact is that the older, less computerized cars were more reliable than the new cars. I had a '95 525i for 13 years & 250K miles, and it NEVER had a single issue...it was a MUCH more simple car than my '08 535i. So I think it boils down to this: the more complicated cars get, the more likely they are to have problems, and the more expensive the fixes will be...it's that way with anything...not just cars.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:50 AM
Contributors

I've said it before in a post and I think its true:

I made sure that my 530 was not "fully loaded". No active roll stabalization, no navigation, no hud, no extra gadgets all over. The only thing I was looking for was the premium package and cold weather package, xenons, and it just so happened the car had sunshades. Because of the simplicity of my car, I've been fortunate to not be plagued with many issues that come with cars that are full of computers.

Just imagine going to work with 25 laptops and having to multi-task with them all running perfectly all the time for years on end? Not gonna happen...

Quick Reply: Frustrated & Disheartened