E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Front Wheel Break Pad Scraping Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Metallic gray '05 545i Sport Black Leather with HUD, Step, Nav, PDC, CWP, K&N Air Filter, Black RPI scoop, Black painted calipers, 35% F1 Pinnacle tint, 19" RDSport RS-2F rims with Continental ExtremeContact DWs.

Guys, I know it's not normal, but I hear a scraping noise when I rotate the rotor with the calipher and pads on? Are the pads supposed to be far enough away to not make any contact? If so, any ideas on how to ensure they are separated enough. At 93K miles, should my caliphers need to be rebuilt?
Old 11-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Members

i have questions...although i don't think you have a problem based on the content of your post.

do you have stopping issues?

do you hear scraping/vibration when moving?

when were pads/rotors serviced last?

why the focus on the calipers?
Old 11-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

others and i have experienced a similar noise and it turned out to be the brake wear sensor.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Members

My Ride: Metallic gray '05 545i Sport Black Leather with HUD, Step, Nav, PDC, CWP, K&N Air Filter, Black RPI scoop, Black painted calipers, 35% F1 Pinnacle tint, 19" RDSport RS-2F rims with Continental ExtremeContact DWs.

I just replaced the motors and pads a couple of weeks ago. There is some vibration, grinding after I make few stops, but its smooth as silk till then. While I'm not ecstatic about the initial bite, the brakes work fine. I had the passenger wheel off recently and with the cipher off the rotor spun fine with no noise, with cipher back on there's friction.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by top6491
I just replaced the motors and pads a couple of weeks ago. There is some vibration, grinding after I make few stops, but its smooth as silk till then. While I'm not ecstatic about the initial bite, the brakes work fine. I had the passenger wheel off recently and with the cipher off the rotor spun fine with no noise, with cipher back on there's friction.

sorry to hear of your foibles, but unfortunately i don't think i can help any longer. good info from the other poster though.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Guys, I know it's not normal, but I hear a scraping noise when I rotate the rotor with the calipher and pads on? Are the pads supposed to be far enough away to not make any contact? If so, any ideas on how to ensure they are separated enough. At 93K miles, should my caliphers need to be rebuilt?
the pads don't float like on a bicycle. the piston always offers some compression. you could also have a warped rotor. yep, even a brand new one can be warped. i changed my own rotors one time and my mechanic found one was warped. they just gave me another one and the noise went away.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

From what I have seen and heard on all of my cars, there is always a little noise there from the brake system. I guess it depends on how much noise and how you can quantify this. I agree with the above post, if there is a warped rotor this would clearly make a lot more noise than normal.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
From what I have seen and heard on all of my cars, there is always a little noise there from the brake system. I guess it depends on how much noise and how you can quantify this. I agree with the above post, if there is a warped rotor this would clearly make a lot more noise than normal.
That's just it, I do not know what is normal. I'm going to work on them some more to ensure they are free to move back into the undepressed position after I release the brake pedal so they move away from the rotor as much as is possible. Thanks for the input...
Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

That's just it, I do not know what is normal. I'm going to work on them some more to ensure they are free to move back into the undepressed position after I release the brake pedal so they move away from the rotor as much as is possible. Thanks for the input...
normal for me is i don't like to hear anything at all when i apply the brakes. no grinding, no noise, no nothing. well actually the sound of the tires decelerating probably drowns out whatever little noise the rotors and pads make. i highly doubt its the pads not moving out of the way enough.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Members

Over the long weekend I worked on the drivers front brake, cleaning and lubricating the pads properly. The grinding seems to be a lot less, and the brakes release much better once I left off the pedal. I was happy, until my radiator coolant resevoir sprung a leak. I've just put $2K into the brake system, (new vacuum booster, pump, pads and rotors) and I have a SES light (increased emmisions error) as well. While I love how these cars drive, after owning two over the past 8 years I think I'm done with BMW. They simply are to complicated to be reliable, costing way to much to buy and maintain for what we get out of them. I make over $200K/yr and simply can't justify the cost of owning one anymore. Simply put, they are not worth the money! The wife said to look for a new car, and it's not going to be a BMW.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Break Pad Scraping Noise