E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Front tyres with uneven wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I've just discovered that my front tyres are down to the "canvas" on the inside shoulders. Both tyres are the same. I've done 30K miles, and there's still 4mm of tread everywhere except the inside shoulders. Rears were replaced at about 20K, and now have about 5-6mm.

I'm surprised at this uneven wear. It defnitely looks like a wheel alignment problem. So I'm going to ask the dealer to look at it (might this be a warranty issue?)

So, apart from a possible wheel alignment needed, I need to buy 2 new tyres. I'm really not impressed with the Goodyear NCT5 tyres. 30K sounds great, but I'd rather have better grip, especially on the rears. Unfortunately there's not a lot of choice when it comes to 245/40/18 RFT tyres (no, I'm not going to get non-RFT).

I've enjoyed Michelin tyres before, and the new ZP tyre sounds good. But I don't think there's a ZP in that size yet.

Pirelli have their new Eufori tyre. Possibly available in the right size - anyone tried these yet? If so, are they any better than the NCT5?

Anyone know if the Goodyear Eagle F1 are better than the NCT5 (RFT versions of course)?

I really don't want to have to buy more of the same, so I'm keen to get some idea of what's considered the best.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Members

It happened to me exactly the same. The tires were evenly worn, 3-4 mm still left everywhere, except the inside shoulders on the front. Mind you, the tire surface up to the innermost longitudinal channel is even, the channel in the rubber is OK, but the rounded inner shoulder is completely worn out.

My reasoning was the same: wheel alignment or geometry problem. I went to a shop to sort it out and it turns out that the alignment of the wheels (camber, caster, etc.) is correct. Some say this wear pattern is because of the aggressive driving in bends. Anyone can confirm this?

My tires were Dunlop SP Sport 01 runflats (and I bought the same).
Old 10-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

i thought that the uneven wear was a common problem on e60s.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Maybe I'll have to rotate the tyres
Old 10-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530i_msport' post='341690' date='Oct 4 2006, 09:29 PM
i thought that the uneven wear was a common problem on e60s.
Design problem? Doesn't sound great.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='341686' date='Oct 4 2006, 09:20 PM
So, apart from a possible wheel alignment needed, I need to buy 2 new tyres. I'm really not impressed with the Goodyear NCT5 tyres. 30K sounds great, but I'd rather have better grip, especially on the rears. Unfortunately there's not a lot of choice when it comes to 245/40/18 RFT tyres (no, I'm not going to get non-RFT).
Currently available: Bridgestone Potenza RE040/050, Dunlop DSST Sport 01's, Goodyear NCT5 and Goodyear F1's.

Out of those, definitely the F1's! However, I note that Pirelli do claim to do a 245/40/18 Eurfori@ - might be worth tracking down...

Losing the RF's gives you so much more choice (Plus lots of other benefits ) I originally, said I was going to stay with RF's but I'll never touch them again if I can avoid!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

I have thought about getting Michelin PS2 + a spare. Might cost about the same as 4 x RFT.

Maybe when I need to replace all 4, I might reconsider.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='341703' date='Oct 4 2006, 09:47 PM
I have thought about getting Michelin PS2 + a spare. Might cost about the same as 4 x RFT.

Maybe when I need to replace all 4, I might reconsider.
Exactly what I did!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='341686' date='Oct 4 2006, 03:20 PM
I've just discovered that my front tyres are down to the "canvas" on the inside shoulders. Both tyres are the same. I've done 30K miles, and there's still 4mm of tread everywhere except the inside shoulders. Rears were replaced at about 20K, and now have about 5-6mm.

I'm surprised at this uneven wear. It defnitely looks like a wheel alignment problem. So I'm going to ask the dealer to look at it (might this be a warranty issue?)

I've enjoyed Michelin tyres before, and the new ZP tyre sounds good. But I don't think there's a ZP in that size yet.

Pirelli have their new Eufori tyre. Possibly available in the right size - anyone tried these yet? If so, are they any better than the NCT5?

Anyone know if the Goodyear Eagle F1 are better than the NCT5 (RFT versions of course)?

I really don't want to have to buy more of the same, so I'm keen to get some idea of what's considered the best.
Thats what happened on my 530d. Not happened on my 535d though! Perhaps BMW have solved the problem on later models.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i everything

My E60 545i 2004 has Donlop run flats and I need front 15000mi and back 24000mi. The same problem as your Tires with the inside wearing out with most of the tread still left on the outside. The problem I am told by a BMW mechanic is that BMW has so much camber that when you use Run Flats, with the very stiff side wall, the tire wear wont distributethe wear across the tire width. I have a spare and am getting Non Run Flats

Quick Reply: Front tyres with uneven wear