E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

front suspension link to steering colum/rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I have experienced situations where the fromt arms etc make a hell of noise and feel loose on rough road, i have replaced most of the bushes infront and earlier last year the steering rack. The noise goes and come and when they are there, u adjust the steering column electronically it goes away. Today also got the drive control error. $tealership say control arms fine, and have checked everything in front suspension and all fine.

Anyone experienced this? Any relations between the control arms, front suspension etc and the steering rack/column which could cause the looseness on and off?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525ia, Olivin green, active steering, sunroof, bi-xenons, power assist, bluetooth phone system, Professional stereo with navigation, sprint booster, Goodyear F1 235/40x18 for in town drives, 16's for country roads

Originally Posted by inamik
Hi
I have experienced situations where the fromt arms etc make a hell of noise and feel loose on rough road, i have replaced most of the bushes infront and earlier last year the steering rack. The noise goes and come and when they are there, u adjust the steering column electronically it goes away. Today also got the drive control error. $tealership say control arms fine, and have checked everything in front suspension and all fine.

Anyone experienced this? Any relations between the control arms, front suspension etc and the steering rack/column which could cause the looseness on and off?
Hello inamik,
If you are getting a knocking noise especially at slow speeds over rough road surface, you should change the pads on the top support for your front shocks. After 2 years of numerous "fixes" to front end, it was when I decided to upgrade to Koni shocks that the problem was found and finally fixed.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by chin moo

Hello inamik,
If you are getting a knocking noise especially at slow speeds over rough road surface, you should change the pads on the top support for your front shocks. After 2 years of numerous "fixes" to front end, it was when I decided to upgrade to Koni shocks that the problem was found and finally fixed.
Hi, I had replaced those too, but since i learnt if i move steering column in and out, everything tightens which to me is weird unless the 2 are connected.