E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you have a Front plate
Yes, required by State
36.54%
No, I like the clean look
50.96%
Yes, optional Euro plate
9.62%
Yes, personalized State plate
2.88%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Front license Plates

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with bimmerfamily2010 - genius! We get requests all the time on our site for mounting options without drilling. I'll have to look into it. One option I have heard that works is some industrial strength Velcro on the back of the plate or frame but I don't know which is worse - holes in your bumper or industrial strength adhesive.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CustomEuropeanPlates.com
I agree with bimmerfamily2010 - genius! We get requests all the time on our site for mounting options without drilling. I'll have to look into it. One option I have heard that works is some industrial strength Velcro on the back of the plate or frame but I don't know which is worse - holes in your bumper or industrial strength adhesive.
My front plate (required in NJ) is framed and double-sided taped to the front bumper and it's stuck there for almost 4 years. I don't have a pic handy and it's too damn hot to go take one. But if you can picture it in your mind ... a thin matt black frame with the plate held on by flat black / flat head bolts cut off flush ... and the whole deal positioned in the center of the front bumper ...

Oh heck ... I'll wander out with my Droid and if you'll pardon the dead bugs covering my bumper I'll go get a picture
Attached Thumbnails Front license Plates-front-plate-medium-.jpg  
Old 06-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Contributors

There ... that's my final answer and I'm sticking to it
Old 06-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Ive lived in Texas and Colorado and both require front license plates, however none of my cars have ever had front license plates. I can honestly say I've had 2 (parking) tickets for no front plate in bout 20 years of driving. So on the occasion I do get the out of the ordinary ticket, its money well spent since my car looks soo much better w/o a front plate!
Old 07-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

Just got ticketed tonight in San Francisco... goddamn.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by acorradi87
Just got ticketed tonight in San Francisco... goddamn.
Bummer ... what do they hit you for, money wise, when it comes to that sort of violation? Points ??

Any jail time ???
Old 07-03-2010, 07:02 AM
Members

I just bought my car from Florida where they aren't required to have front plates, so they're isn't a mounting bracket. I live in New York where front plates are required, but I don't want to have holes drilled into my bumper. How many of you New Yorkers don't have front plates? Do you get pulled over often?
Old 07-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Illinois requires a front plate but I have none on. I don't even have drill holes for it. I have been driving like this for years without incident. The fact is that when a cop sees a nice car with no front plate they leave you alone. If you were in a beater and didn't have it, you'd get pulled over. Sad but true.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

In NY a front plate is required so I have one. No car looks better with a front plate.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Bummer ... what do they hit you for, money wise, when it comes to that sort of violation? Points ??

Any jail time ???
It was 'only' a damn meter maid so it wasn't a fix-it ticket from the police fortunately. But the fine is $105. There was a thread for a permanent-looking temporary bracket thing I saw on here a couple months ago that I'll look into cause if I do fix it, I'll just have to pay $10, whereas if I would have gotten a ticket from the police there's no way out of it except for fixing it. Gotta love California!

Quick Reply: Front license Plates