E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Front License Plate in California?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E60freak' post='611240' date='Jun 27 2008, 07:38 AM
I got pulled over by the police 7 days after I got my car because I didn't have a back plate (yet)...since I was legit (had a temp, 10 days license with me) they just let me go telling me to stick that temp on my back window.

I think the first police car that pulls behind you will pull you over and verify...in that case, you might be facing a few 100$ worth of fines for no license plate.
However, if you plan on speeding, burning red lights and steeling gas...then don't put it loooool

....good luck what ever you do

Was that in California??? Or Canada??
I think the laws might be different here. In CA, no plates are issued when you buy the car- just dealer advertising. They are sent to you by mail, and you are expected to put them on within 90 days of your purchase. In this car culture, there are THOUSANDS of cars everywhere with no real plates on them.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='611254' date='Jun 27 2008, 07:50 AM
In this Socal car culture, there are THOUSANDS of cars everywhere with no real plates on them.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i - Black on Black - Sport&Premium

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='611254' date='Jun 27 2008, 10:50 AM
I think the laws might be different here. In CA, no plates are issued when you buy the car- just dealer advertising. They are sent to you by mail, and you are expected to put them on within 90 days of your purchase. In this car culture, there are THOUSANDS of cars everywhere with no real plates on them.
Ok that is quite unusual...I mean it could be stolen for all they know....here you have 10 days to grab your ass and get the plates from the car registration office.

So in the first 3 months you could do traffic infractions and the cameras don't catch you...cooooool
Old 06-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I've spoken to a couple of my patients that happen to be CHP's and LAPD regarding this as I was in the same boat as you. All were on the same page: stopping just for no front plate is rare. There has/had to be something else for getting stopped, the plate was just another thing add'd or a way to check everything else out initially. And they all asked this question also, "But why would you want to give them a reason to stop you?" Funny thing is, they all agreed that my car's/an e60's front looks better without the plate.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='611276' date='Jun 27 2008, 08:29 AM
Someone should arrest this guy. He's been driving around for close to a year now without front and back license plates; only with the "new" car registration sticker that's glued to his front windshield. Another offender is member Torquey5. Same story. Any of you guys law enforcements on here? I can tell you where they live. LOL

Couple comments:

You can do what Vegastrashed and Torquey5 did and you can probably get away with it for a while. Just watch out for areas where you know cops will try to pull people over just to verify things or deter "cruising". Downtown San Jose is like that. On weekend nights, they pull anyone and everyone over for the littlest thing to deter people from cruising the downtown area.

If you put your back plate on and leave the front plate off, chances are also rare that you will get ticketed unless they pull you over for some other infraction. And these tickets are just fix-it tickets or correctable offenses that do not show on your driving record. I just got one for no front plate a couple months ago cause the cop thought I turned right at a corner that says no turn on red. I told him the light was green (he was standing/hiding behind a wall), he said "okay, but you have no front plate"... nice... at least he let me off for my tinted windows.

As for airports, because of 9/11, they will ticket any car without front plates even if you're parked. My brother just got one and I think he was parked at long term at either LAX or John Wayne Airport, just last week.

My suggestion is to put the back on and leave the front off. You should be okay but the biggest thing to keep in mind is if you're ever out drinking and driving in an area where cops look for reasons to pull people over. Not that I condone drinking and driving but getting pulled over with even a small bit of alcohol is a big inconvenience.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

i think it all depends on the cop.....i got pulled over on LaBrea/Wilshire for not having front plate. I had it in the trunk and the cop didn't care and wrote me a $35 fixed ticket. LA area cops are more tougher on this issue than other cities, not sure why....i hang out in OC a lot and have never heard of anyone being pulled over or getting a ticket for no front plates. I would definitely put the rear plate though - with the LED lights looks bad ass.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

What everybody else said.

The cities that have traffic cameras are more strict on the front plates. I have left mine off, without a problem - that being said I am sure I will get pulled over tonight.

I figured it was a fix-it type ticket and I like the look, but I am sure I will regret it at some point.

I think CHP will start getting more strict as they start using more laser detection, as they like to zero-in on the front plate.

I would put the back plate on for sure - that is really asking for trouble.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='611295' date='Jun 27 2008, 09:02 AM
Someone should arrest this guy. He's been driving around for close to a year now without front and back license plates; only with the "new" car registration sticker that's glued to his front windshield. Another offender is member Torquey5. Same story. Any of you guys law enforcements on here? I can tell you where they live. LOL

Couple comments:

You can do what Vegastrashed and Torquey5 did and you can probably get away with it for a while. Just watch out for areas where you know cops will try to pull people over just to verify things or deter "cruising". Downtown San Jose is like that. On weekend nights, they pull anyone and everyone over for the littlest thing to deter people from cruising the downtown area.

If you put your back plate on and leave the front plate off, chances are also rare that you will get ticketed unless they pull you over for some other infraction. And these tickets are just fix-it tickets or correctable offenses that do not show on your driving record. I just got one for no front plate a couple months ago cause the cop thought I turned right at a corner that says no turn on red. I told him the light was green (he was standing/hiding behind a wall), he said "okay, but you have no front plate"... nice... at least he let me off for my tinted windows.

As for airports, because of 9/11, they will ticket any car without front plates even if you're parked. My brother just got one and I think he was parked at long term at either LAX or John Wayne Airport, just last week.

My suggestion is to put the back on and leave the front off. You should be okay but the biggest thing to keep in mind is if you're ever out drinking and driving in an area where cops look for reasons to pull people over. Not that I condone drinking and driving but getting pulled over with even a small bit of alcohol is a big inconvenience.
+1 my sister is a cop here in SoCal(in a beach city), and she also does DUI task force.... they look for any little infraction like no front plates, things hanging from your rear view mirror, changing lanes without signaling etc..... They just need a reason to pull you over to see if you've been drinking
Old 06-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by jsal' post='611299' date='Jun 27 2008, 09:10 AM
What everybody else said.

The cities that have traffic cameras are more strict on the front plates. I have left mine off, without a problem - that being said I am sure I will get pulled over tonight.

I figured it was a fix-it type ticket and I like the look, but I am sure I will regret it at some point.

I think CHP will start getting more strict as they start using more laser detection, as they like to zero-in on the front plate.

I would put the back plate on for sure - that is really asking for trouble.
WHOA!! Where have you been??? Maybe I've missed your posts but it seems like a year since I last saw anything from you. haha

Hope you're doing well man.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

It's only a $10 Fixing ticket if you get caught w/o plates in the front. Keep the front w/o 'em and leave the rear plates alone.

On a side note:
My neighbor keeps both his cars w/o plates all throughout the year! How does he get away??

He keeps the new car windshield sticker that holds the temp license on to make it seem like he just bought the car and he also leaves the dealer plates front and back on. Also, he makes sure the car is always lookin' like brand new!

I won't recommend this but it's another way around.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate in California?