E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Front License Plate in California?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm approaching the 90 day mark after purchasing my 535i, and I'm considering putting the state issued plates on the car, which arrived in the mail, as "required" by law.

Here are my questions....

1. What is the penalty / odds of getting caught for not putting a front plate on the car in California? It looks sooo much better without the front plate or bracket.

2. What is the penalty / odds of getting caught for not putting any of the plates on at all? I know at a glance it will look like a new car awaiting the plates at a glance, but if I get pulled over, what happens?

Do any of my fellow Cali brothers have any experience with this?
Old 06-27-2008, 06:21 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='611221' date='Jun 27 2008, 10:13 AM
I'm approaching the 90 day mark after purchasing my 535i, and I'm considering putting the state issued plates on the car, which arrived in the mail, as "required" by law.

1. What is the penalty / odds of getting caught for not putting a front plate on the car in California? It looks sooo much better without the front plate or bracket.

2. What is the penalty / odds of getting caught for not putting any of the plates on at all? I know at a glance it will look like a new car awaiting the plates at a glance, but if I get pulled over, what happens?

I understand not wanting to put the front plate, but why not the back?????
Old 06-27-2008, 06:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Eugene134' post='611223' date='Jun 27 2008, 07:21 AM
I understand not wanting to put the front plate, but why not the back?????

Anonymity from traffic cameras.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='611225' date='Jun 27 2008, 10:24 AM
Anonymity from traffic cameras.

Ohh, Good point, but I think there would be a major fine for having no plates, Dont know CA laws thou. I've had several $90 tickets in NY for no front plate.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='611221' date='Jun 27 2008, 07:13 AM

Old 06-27-2008, 06:36 AM
Members

I was ticketed at LAX about 3 years ago for not having front plate on my 740i. It appeared that the officer was trolling for that violation, as I subsequently saw him pull over another car without front plate. I had the bracket installed, paid inspection fee at an Orange County sheriff's station, and mailed in the fine ($35, I think).

I have no basis for this, but I somehow think enforcement is greater in LA County - but then, it might be greater in any municipality that uses the automatic intersection radar systems to ticket those who appear to be running red lights.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i - Black on Black - Sport&Premium

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='611221' date='Jun 27 2008, 10:13 AM

I got pulled over by the police 7 days after I got my car because I didn't have a back plate (yet)...since I was legit (had a temp, 10 days license with me) they just let me go telling me to stick that temp on my back window.

I think the first police car that pulls behind you will pull you over and verify...in that case, you might be facing a few 100$ worth of fines for no license plate.
However, if you plan on speeding, burning red lights and steeling gas...then don't put it loooool

....good luck what ever you do
Old 06-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

If you wanna be hardcore you can get the auto hide plate. You can flip a switch and it will hide the plate. Let me find the link. I would not recommend taking off the back plate at all. I'm not sure of the fine.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Parked is a parking violation but if your driving it becomes a moving violation. You'll end up paying heftier fees if stopped while driving.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Heres a auto darken.

And the one I was thinking of was
http://www.flashpaw.com/Hide_License_Plate.html

I can't seem to find the one I saw a while back you can buy. You get the idea though.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate in California?