E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Front end vibration - really odd

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 550i has developed an odd front end vibration. Odd because it comes and goes.

I originally thought it was the tires as I had new Yokohamas installed, but I had them all re-balanced. They cannot find anything wrong with the tires.

Some times the car is smooth (not perfect smooth but quite smooth) but sometimes the vibration is so bad the steering wheel is actually moving side to side a few degrees. Doesnt affect the stability or steering but shakes everyones seats etc. Very annoying.

I also got a warning...but I forget the exact warning, but something about steering stability. I checked the power steering fluid and it was so low that it didnt register on the little dipstick (I could see fluid at least). So I found the correct replacement fluid at a local NAPA shop and filled it up. It felt better (not perfect) but darn good.

Now a couple weeks later, the problem has stayed. In fact, at times the vibration is just as bad again. I just checked the power steering fluid and it is not at MAX. I thought I filled it all the way. It is possible some fluid is gone, but not a large amount.

Can a steering issue cause this vibration?

What would cause it to vary in intensity??

I have an email into my dealer. It is 62k miles with CPO warranty. I assume it costs $50 to even check it out.

Unrelated, but it also can have a rough idle. a little burbly (if that makes sense). RPMs dont move. Plus I dont like the amount of ash/exhaust that builds up on the rear of the car (from the exhaust, car is white). I have been told that is normal of these V8s. odd.

thx
Old 11-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i, Sports Package, Nav, Prem Sound

Check out your control arms and lower control arm bushings. These tend to go at about 60-90k miles.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

oem rims?
checked the lugs? tight?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by amit1947
Check out your control arms and lower control arm bushings. These tend to go at about 60-90k miles.
Does the CPO warranty cover these?
I have a similar problem. The low power steering fluid sign just came on today, but is now gone.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Contributors

BMWs are very sensitive to wheel balance and out-of-round conditions. I'd start there; it's not at all unusual for a pothole to create a bend on the inside of the rim - thus not readily seen. Wheels can be repaired unless seriously damaged. If you have the factory wheels then the centering hub bore will be correct. If you've installed aftermarket wheels check that something hasn't gone wrong with centering hub bore ... and as already indicated check the lugs!

Next, if that isn't a cause of the vibration, I'd definitely have control arms and bushings investigated; They can begin to deteriorate at 50-60K miles. And lastly, it is possible - probably not likely - that a front strut has gone bad.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Members

ive checked the manual but it doesnt tell you where to add or check the power steering fluids. any pointers?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:41 PM
New Members

Check the thrust arm bushings, and take it to a quality indy.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Members

Ok, another visit to Discount Tire. a bit more background, I had purchased a take set of 4 Yokohama S-Drive tires to put on a lease turn in 528i. However, I worked a deal with the dealer in purchasing a CPO X3 and they took my lease 2 months early and I didnt have to use the tires. These tires are the same size as the fronts for my 550i. So I purchased 2 new S-Drives for the rear and had them install these used fronts. They have 80-90% tread...so almost new. The previous owner moved to 19" wheels and was just selling these 18" tires.

Well, they showed me how these fronts were feathered...you could run your hand over the outer tread and feel it wave up and down. I checked the other 2 that I have not used yet, and they did the same thing!

They agreed to verify the balance and check for bent rims and full inspection. If they found nothing I was going to suck it up and purchase 2 new tires and ditch these used ones. (I had only planned on using them for a lease turn in, which they would have been perfect for. still frustrating tho)

well, they said the balance was out 3/4oz. Which they felt was considerable enough for me to drive it prior to deciding to buy new tires.

Obviously these cars are very sensitive to balance and if the tires arent perfect. Geesch.

On the power steering fluid question. On my 550i, the reservoir is to the left of the engine. Large knurled knob with a dipstick attached. I measure the level after screwing on the cap, but that is an assumption as no where does it specify