E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Front bumper remove/install (M-Tech)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i, 6 Speed Manual, Premium/Sport Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Light Control

Hi folks, I had my bumper pulled off on the right side (passenger) after a run in with a parking wheel stop. The brake duct and a piece of the mesh grill came out. I was able to push the bumper into place and later pulled one of the bolts by the fender and secure it however, it does not look well and I would like to remove and re-seat it properly including the mesh and brake duct. I did dome search on the DIY forum but did not see anything for the front bumper. From the looks of it, I may need to jack up the front end to remove the inner fender liner. Are there any other bolts I should be removing? I am hoping there are some instructions or link to a document I can use to properly get this done. I would hate to mess it up more than it is and then have to order a replacement and go through the process of getting it painted and installed.

It does not look like it should be too hard but I am hoping this is not something that will take the entire weekend in trial and error and there is actually some info out there I can use to make it easier. If anyone has already done this and documented it, I would appreciate some guidance. Thanks much. Guess I have to stick to backing the car in from now on.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Since no one is answering...

This should be similar to a regular bumper.

First use this to remove the headlights. and the top portion of the bumper above the grille...

http://forums.5serie..._1#entry1237374

under the front bumper are a couple more bolts...

Front bumper remove/install (M-Tech)-photo3-1-1.jpg

Front bumper remove/install (M-Tech)-bolts-above-grille.jpg

Remove the splash shields...

Front bumper remove/install (M-Tech)-splash-shield.jpg

there is one splash shield ahead of each tire.

Front bumper remove/install (M-Tech)-dsc05473-copy.jpg

If you have pdc unplug the connectors they are behind the right fog light assembly,

Front bumper remove/install (M-Tech)-dsc05529.jpg

Unplug the fog lights if you have them.

there are a couple bolts that attach the front portion of the inner wheel well on remove those. Sorry no picture that I found.

with the front portion of the wheel well out of the way you can get to these bolts from the underside. Sorry no picture from the underside.

Front bumper remove/install (M-Tech)-dsc05501.jpg

and you should be able to pull the bumper off. Sorry I only pulled one bumper off and going by memory, maybe someone else can add a couple steps I missed.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i, 6 Speed Manual, Premium/Sport Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Light Control

Thanks for the info! It seems like it will be a bit of work to get this done. Guess I will need some jack stands to get this thing elevated and get it take cared of. Thanks much for this! It sure looks like it was going to be a bit of work, how much time did it take you?
Old 09-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Contributors

Its really not that hard and only took me two hours to do but that was because I wanted to buff out the scratches out of the fog lights while the bumper was off.

I also have a lift at home so that made things a little easier too.

Just take your time and use blue painters tape on the fenders and bumper so you don't scratch the paint.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:01 AM
Members

Great! Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Just for information for future searches. I installed a M-tech bumper on my car this weekend and it is almost exactly the same.