E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Front aand rear M sport bumpers onto an SE

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

Right guys, finally got both my front and rear M sport bumpers..... the only thing is one of the PDC holder on the F bumper is missing so i'll have to ring around the breakers for one....

I need to get the grills bought for the front, i have this list in mind, am i missing anything to enable me to fit - brackets etc?

Fog light covers (can use my SE fog lights can't i?)
Main lower centre grill
two ancillary grills that attach to the centre grill
left and right brake ducts
left and right headlight washer covers and brackets (3 pieces)
Number plate surround

I figure i can use my current kidney grills, seals, fogs and headlight washer base units - front bumper already has tow hook cover - i know i'll need to dremel my arches and shorten my undertray

RealOEM.com * BMW E61 535d M Trim panel, bumper, front(SA715)

Any help very welcome
Old 04-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Did you get a used bumper? Curious why one of the PDC holders would be missing. If I'm not mistaken, the brackets are welded on the inside. If you got it new one, I would be returning it. If used, how will you plan to fix it?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Members
Senior Members

Hi Tony

The bumper is a used item, pristine condition apart from this piece missing.

My plan is to source one from a scrap car, its only a square piece which can be plastic welded by my bodyshop..... no massive issue
Old 04-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sensor brackets are not melded. They are glued with double-sided tape. I changed myself one of those brackets.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:54 AM
Members
Senior Members

thanks Cosmin

I've managed to find this guide https://5series.net/forums/topic/666...bumper-change/

I'm pretty certain that the previous guides (that I cant find for the life of me) didn't have any additional brackets like the ones mentioned here.

I just want to be able to place my order and have everything i need
Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by 1Animal1
Hi Tony

The bumper is a used item, pristine condition apart from this piece missing.

My plan is to source one from a scrap car, its only a square piece which can be plastic welded by my bodyshop..... no massive issue
Ah ok, makes sense now. Hopefully they have a ultrasonic welder and not a hot plate welder. The ultrasonic if used correctly won't transefer to the A surface. The hot plate most likey will, but you could always correct it and then repaint. Just don't let them use glue on it...!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

No idea to be fair mate but thanks for the tips..... i thought if the chap didnt have any of these then silicone would be as good as anything.... the holder itself has a large area square plate for which to stick it to the bumper, therefore what ever i use, it'll have plenty of surface area to connect it to the skin...

Sounds back street but if it does the job
Old 04-05-2012, 03:36 AM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks for all the helps guys

I'll have to 'wing' it and post a full guide so that nobody elese gets stuck with this issue again
Old 04-05-2012, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 1Animal1
No idea to be fair mate but thanks for the tips..... i thought if the chap didnt have any of these then silicone would be as good as anything.... the holder itself has a large area square plate for which to stick it to the bumper, therefore what ever i use, it'll have plenty of surface area to connect it to the skin...

Sounds back street but if it does the job
The problem with glues is the material of your bumper is most likely polypropylene and although it may seem to stick initially, it will come off as you are driving when the bumper slightly flexes or even when you wash your bumper and simply apply pressure to that sensor. You can google UK supplier of adhesives for PP and you might find something that will be the best to use besides actually welding it. I attached a link you can read that has some ideas. But I would recommend to ask the body shop and they may have a welder or know of where one is.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-polypropylene