E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Friggin brake sensors AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007 | 05:08 PM
Banned

So my brakes started to squeel again sounding exactly like last time the brake sensors were screwed up and this was only like 5k miles ago-they even replaced the pads at that point and the problem was fine until this past week-so off it goes for a THIRD time in 10k miles and 4 months of ownership. I take back everything I ever thought about the reliablity of a bmw
Old 06-01-2007 | 05:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

Hmmm I am going this monday for this same problem
Old 06-01-2007 | 05:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

I wonder how ppl w/o warranty would survive with these repeated problems.. yikes!
Old 06-01-2007 | 08:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='430936' date='Jun 1 2007, 09:08 PM
So my brakes started to squeel again sounding exactly like last time the brake sensors were screwed up and this was only like 5k miles ago-they even replaced the pads at that point and the problem was fine until this past week-so off it goes for a THIRD time in 10k miles and 4 months of ownership. I take back everything I ever thought about the reliablity of a bmw

Bummer man, I hope they get you fixed up. I had some brake creaking in mine, especially when rotors were cold, for the first 4K miles, finally at around 5K miles the noise has gone away.
Old 06-01-2007 | 08:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

My SA at the BMW dealer claimed there was no service bulletin in regards to the brake squeal, but after a few searches on this board I printed out the service bulletin and made both the SA and the service manager kinda look like asses in the process. They replaced the brake sensors and after about 2,000 miles I have no complaints.
Old 06-02-2007 | 07:24 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW

Originally Posted by wasupdu' post='431000' date='Jun 2 2007, 12:51 AM
My SA at the BMW dealer claimed there was no service bulletin in regards to the brake squeal, but after a few searches on this board I printed out the service bulletin and made both the SA and the service manager kinda look like asses in the process. They replaced the brake sensors and after about 2,000 miles I have no complaints.
Ahhh!! I absolutely LOVE these kind of stories.
Old 06-02-2007 | 07:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

I see on the parts system they have changed the 530i pads part numbers in the last month or so

Wonder is its because of this
Old 06-02-2007 | 05:59 PM
Banned

If you change the sensors do you have to change the pad as well?

Does anyone have the link to that service bullitin?
Old 06-02-2007 | 10:58 PM
Members

My Ride: '11 535i Space Grey Met. w/ Blk Dakota Leather, Executive Package, M-Sport Package, Dynamic Handling Package, 35% tint '06 525i Titanium Silver (retired) Premium pkg, PDC, Logic 7, adaptive headlights std. items - xenons, cold weather pkg mods so far - red euro reflectors, UGDO & compass rearview mirror, 35% tint, H&R Sport Springs, 18" style 124 OEM rims
Smile

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='431265' date='Jun 2 2007, 06:59 PM
If you change the sensors do you have to change the pad as well?

Does anyone have the link to that service bullitin?

My brakes have been squealing quite loud over the past few weeks. I just took it to the dealer last week about this and this is what they told me.

The problem is caused by the sensors (which I already knew). At first, BMW was replacing the pads and sensors but now, they are no longer doing so anymore. I have been told that BMW Canada is refusing to perform any warranty work on noisy brakes. They say that it is not a problem (just a bit of noise) and any servicing of the sensors or pads are to be paid for by the customer. They say that any work they do will only be temporary as the sensors will just squeal again if you change the pads (once wear reaches the sensors) or if you just grind down the sensors a bit.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing not to mention that my car sounds aweful with the brake squeal. No matter how I argued my case, they wouldn't budge. They simply indicated that it I wanted my brakes looked at, they would have to charge me as BMW didn't cover this.

Has anyone heard this BS? Any solutions or suggestions? As the dealer indicated that this is a recent decision by BMW Canada not to perform warranty service on the brakes, I wondering if the above service bullitin is an old one?
Old 06-02-2007 | 11:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jlgjwu' post='431335' date='Jun 2 2007, 11:58 PM
My brakes have been squealing quite loud over the past few weeks. I just took it to the dealer last week about this and this is what they told me.

The problem is caused by the sensors (which I already knew). At first, BMW was replacing the pads and sensors but now, they are no longer doing so anymore. I have been told that BMW Canada is refusing to perform any warranty work on noisy brakes. They say that it is not a problem (just a bit of noise) and any servicing of the sensors or pads are to be paid for by the customer. They say that any work they do will only be temporary as the sensors will just squeal again if you change the pads (once wear reaches the sensors) or if you just grind down the sensors a bit.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing not to mention that my car sounds aweful with the brake squeal. No matter how I argued my case, they wouldn't budge. They simply indicated that it I wanted my brakes looked at, they would have to charge me as BMW didn't cover this.

Has anyone heard this BS? Any solutions or suggestions? As the dealer indicated that this is a recent decision by BMW Canada not to perform warranty service on the brakes, I wondering if the above service bullitin is an old one?
Which dealer if you don't mind me asking - I am also in Vancouver.

Quick Reply: Friggin brake sensors AGAIN