E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Free Sat Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I used to listen to Howard Stern years ago when I lived in the DC area, on the way to work. Funny for the 15 minute drive, but I'm not sure I'd have the same appreciation for his humor 15 years later. Call me crazy, but to pay $13/month for radio seems a bit much--plus I understand it's far from CD quality. And with HD radio coming (it's a new option for BMW!), sound quality seems like a moot point. Plus I like to listen to my iPod, with all my favorite music. I haven't listened to radio in the 6 months I've had my iPod.

I remember this debate going on when I was a kid--you know, the "pay TV" debate. And the satellite guys like to say, remember when we thought buying bottled water was crazy, when you could just open up the tap and get (almost) free water? Sure, we now all pay for cable/satellite TV, but to me the difference is, with TV the reception is light years better than with an antenna (especially with a 60" TV), you get more channels (that's you'd actually watch), and most people (me included--thanks TiVo!) watch TV for more time than they're actually in their car.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by stream' post='225604' date='Jan 17 2006, 06:06 PM
Call me crazy, but to pay $13/month for radio seems a bit much--plus I understand it's far from CD quality. And with HD radio coming (it's a new option for BMW!), sound quality seems like a moot point. Plus I like to listen to my iPod, with all my favorite music. I haven't listened to radio in the 6 months I've had my iPod.
This is one of the reasons that makes me hestiant on subscribing to Sirius. Gawd, I keep flip-flopping on my decision! I had just written I was going to take it in to the dealership then re-read stream's comments about HD radio and erased it all. I really like HD. I watch Discovery HD all the time
Old 01-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Originally Posted by jiio' post='225616
Call me crazy, but to pay $13/month for radio seems a bit much--plus I understand it's far from CD quality. And with HD radio coming (it's a new option for BMW!), sound quality seems like a moot point. Plus I like to listen to my iPod, with all my favorite music. I haven't listened to radio in the 6 months I've had my iPod.
This is one of the reasons that makes me hestiant on subscribing to Sirius. Gawd, I keep flip-flopping on my decision! I had just written I was going to take it in to the dealership then re-read stream's comments about HD radio and erased it all. I really like HD. I watch Discovery HD all the time
[/quote]

Free or Sirius (or XM)? Your decision shouldn't be about just HS. I like HS but i got Sirius for other reasons. I can listen to NFL, NHL, NBA game and music. I especially like the fact I can listen to Minn games. And if I get tired of listening to one particular announcer, I can always listen to the game from opponnent's announcers.

Howard Stern is a bonus for me. BTW he was on fire today with his first guest A Curry from "My Fair Brady". I needed a cold shower listening to her!! I didn't know she was a lesbian (not there's anything wrong with that) first before changing teams. She's was on fire and her interview was very entertaining. Definately worth $13 per month!!!

Teriyaki
Old 01-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' post='225642
Originally Posted by stream' post='225604' date='Jan 17 2006, 06:06 PM
Free or Sirius (or XM)? Your decision shouldn't be about just HS. I like HS but i got Sirius for other reasons. I can listen to NFL, NHL, NBA game and music. I especially like the fact I can listen to Minn games. And if I get tired of listening to one particular announcer, I can always listen to the game from opponnent's announcers.

Howard Stern is a bonus for me. BTW he was on fire today with his first guest A Curry from "My Fair Brady". I needed a cold shower listening to her!! I didn't know she was a lesbian (not there's anything wrong with that) first before changing teams. She's was on fire and her interview was very entertaining. Definately worth $13 per month!!!

Teriyaki
[/quote]

If I were to get Sirius, it would not be b/c of HS. I rarely ever listened to him when he was on free radio. I think he's funny and all but I could never listen to him every day during the morning drive. My primary reason if I were to get Sirius is for the music definitely. Depending on my mood I'd switch from jazz to classical to house. Hmm... I'm swaying again towards getting Sirius. Ok, I'll set an appointment with my SA this week.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by jiio' post='225616
[/quote]

Sirius radio SUCK. :thumbsdown: I'd rather download mp3 or get it to work in my car than listen to low quality radio programming that COST. I regret getting Sirius. Thank goodness I enabled the 1 year free subscription from BMW. I would never PAID.

As for Howard, he's a pervert and only add more disrespect to women who don't respect themselves. That's just my 2 cents.