E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Free Sat Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05
Cool

on the way to work. I've got a long drive to work all of it in traffic. So, to make my mornings pleasant I listen to jazz music. In San Diego there is 98.1 and 88.1. I switch between the two stations when commercials come on. A few times now, while listening to 88.1 the jazz music would fade and Howard Stern would come on. I have noticed this when coming to a crawl. As the speed picks up and there is more distance between cars, I lose Howard. I'm fairly certain that I am receiving Sirius signals from someone within a few feet of me. Today, as I got off I-805 onto Mira Mesa and came to a dead stop at a traffic light Howard came in real clear. The subject? Tittyxxxxxxg. Makes me want to get Sirius. I'm thinking about it now....
Old 01-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by jiio' post='225154' date='Jan 16 2006, 06:13 PM
on the way to work. I've got a long drive to work all of it in traffic. So, to make my mornings pleasant I listen to jazz music. In San Diego there is 98.1 and 88.1. I switch between the two stations when commercials come on. A few times now, while listening to 88.1 the jazz music would fade and Howard Stern would come on. I have noticed this when coming to a crawl. As the speed picks up and there is more distance between cars, I lose Howard. I'm fairly certain that I am receiving Sirius signals from someone within a few feet of me. Today, as I got off I-805 onto Mira Mesa and came to a dead stop at a traffic light Howard came in real clear. The subject? Tittyxxxxxxg. Makes me want to get Sirius. I'm thinking about it now....
Hi jiio:

There is nothing free about listening to HS. But, I do like SIRIUS. Get it, but just try not to broadcast HS to anyone else.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't think you're picking up stray Sirius signals, you're more likely picking up a pirate station rebroadcasting the Sirius signal over an unlicensed, low-power, FM station.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/ce...es/3585088.html

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=164146
Old 01-17-2006, 05:07 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

Originally Posted by jiio' post='225154' date='Jan 16 2006, 06:13 PM
It sounds as if you were adjacent to someone who had a wireless FM Sirius receiver in their car. It is possible under the right conditions to pick up these signals for quite a distance. You just happened to use the same frequency on your FM Radio that they were using on their Sirius Receiver.

Joe
Old 01-17-2006, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

That's right Joe, I forgot all about that possibility. I'm still pretty sure that it's impossible to receive actual satellite signals (which are digital) without having the proper equipment, etc.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='225352' date='Jan 17 2006, 09:37 AM
That's right Joe, I forgot all about that possibility. I'm still pretty sure that it's impossible to receive actual satellite signals (which are digital) without having the proper equipment, etc.

You were probably right the first time - the whole pirate radio thing with Stern on Sirius has been pretty widely reported.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by joepoole' post='225346
It sounds as if you were adjacent to someone who had a wireless FM Sirius receiver in their car. It is possible under the right conditions to pick up these signals for quite a distance. You just happened to use the same frequency on your FM Radio that they were using on their Sirius Receiver.

Joe
[/quote]

Joe,
That is exactly what I think happened. Same spot today off the exit ramp and no Howard. So, I am not receiving a pirate signal. Thanks for the info anyway Rudy about the pirate signals. I've be comtemplating for a while now if it is worth getting Sirius. Not just for Howard, but for the supposedly commercial-free music. I have read in other posts where the signal can occassional be lost. Will take your comments into consideration Znod.

Might just have the dealer install Sirius on my next visit for a CIP upgrade which will be fairly soon. Want to get feedback from others who have the latest installed. I will go and complain that the RDS is kooky, which it is and hope that CIP 20 will correct it. I currently have 19.02.03 I think. It was installed Dec 15th 2005.

Joe
Old 01-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Contributors

no offense..but hs? do i really want to spend my time with his 'bla bla..and..nver mind'

You are free to enjoy hS...

Old 01-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jiio' post='225405' date='Jan 17 2006, 11:00 AM
Same spot today off the exit ramp and no Howard. So, I am not receiving a pirate signal. Thanks for the info anyway Rudy about the pirate signals.
It's not inconceivable that the pirate signal wasn't broadcasting today. Obviously the illegal nature of this action can cause the pirate to turn off the transmitter or change it's location to avoid being caught...

Either way, Sirius is nice to have -- whether you're a fan of Howard or not...
Old 01-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 - 550 - on order (estimated final production date of 10/17/05, per BMW). Final Production Date 10/14, one day early!!!! DELIVERED - 11/30/05!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROCK ON>!!!! Black Sapphire Metallic - Black leather Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Sirius Radio, Steptronic, Rear Side Air Bags, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade, Fold Down Split Rear Seat w/ Ski Bag, Navigation. Aux. Audio Input added 11/30/05

Stern is worth the cost of Sirius. Get it... you will love it. Stern aside... Sirius has excellent programming. I got my car almost 2 months ago... and have not gone back to listening to crap, I mean free, radio.

Quick Reply: Free Sat Radio?