E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fragile plastic parts in cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:15 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Default Fragile plastic parts in cooling system

Finally getting the radiator job completed but have found some of the plastic parts are brittle. First I found the plastic line that runs across the top of the radiator shattered when flexed. The nipples on the upper radiator hose are all brown/yellow inside and the plastic is eroding. I can scrape off parts of this discoloured plastic with a fingernail.

When I took the water pump off to replace it, I found the tip of the float indicator jammed inside the impeller. The dark part in the attached picture is the tip of the float pin. The other parts broke off the remaining part of the float pin using easy finger pressure, and I could crush them to tiny fragments by squeezing them between my fingers.

All of the other clip-on hoses seem to be OK, showing strong black plastic inside near the O-rings and beyond to the hose connection. Anybody else find this problem or know why it happened?

Name:  FullSizeRender%206_zps2rpzitwi.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  143.1 KB
Old 03-24-2017, 09:31 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

The plastic pipe on top of the radiator on my 2005 545 was replaced by an aluminum tube, after the original broke while doing the timing belt cover gasket. As long as the tube is not disturbed, no problem.

The level indicator stick was removed from the overflow tank when I found it detached from the floating part, so no problem there. Never really needed or need the indicator anyway, since I can see the level without it and the exact level isn't that critical.

When you think of it, using that type of plastic, which doesn't support loads and stress, isn't a bad idea, since as you have seen, if the parts get to the water pump, no harm done, since they would simply disintegrate and not harm the impeller!. Salut, Bob P.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:41 PM
New Members

Yeah, but the eroded inner parts of the upper rad hose drove me to get a new hose, complete with the little line across the top of the rad.

And now another pissoff: went to fit the new BEHR rad, and it's twisted. If I lay it flat on the floor, I can rock it 3/4". Vendor getting a warranty replacement. I think this repair is cursed.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

It would probably be wise to replace the radiator reserve tank. The float is a good indication of things to come.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:05 AM
New Members

Yes, the expansion tank has been replaced. And the replacement for the warped radiator came - wrong part. Refund, re-purchase elsewhere. Way too much fun.