E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

found this..

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by skelevirus' post='991561' date='Aug 28 2009, 02:22 PM
a post on the e90 forum, has anyone tried or noticed this on the e60? pretty cool and interesting..

"So, I took a road trip last week headed East just to see what I could see. I decided to drive south down Skyline Dr out of Front Royal VA, which seamlessly becomes the Blue Ridge Parkway when you reach I-64 in VA. Skyline Dr snakes it's way through some National Park, so the speed limit is 35 MPH. I wasn't in a hurry and just wanted to enjoy the road and beautiful scenery, so I set the cruise at 41 MPH, rolled the windows down and popped in a good CD. HERE'S WHERE I DISCOVERED SOMETHING WEIRD! With the cruise set at 41 MPH, every time I rounded a tight corner, just as the tires started losing grip, the car applied exactly the right amount of brake and/or cut power JUST ENOUGH so the car went through the turn without losing control! So, picture this...heavily forested two-lane perfect black top road with tight corners winding it's way through the mountains...up ahead you see a 90 degree left hander...cruise set at 41 MPH, left foot covering the brake, it seems like you're going too fast, but all you do is just steer left - perfectly planted, just the right speed, just the right amount of intervention and the car automatically resumes the set speed the moment you exit the corner! It's like the car was in some unholy "remote control" setting. Next up, the Blue Ridge Parkway, speed limit 45 MPH. Set cruise at 51 MPH, same deal! I don't know if I'm describing what happened well enough, but it was simply awesome not having to ride the brakes entering each corner, then accelerate out & all the time nervously checking the speedo to maintain a reasonably legal speed in the park. Previous cars I've owned would have HELD the set speed through the corner and right off the road as the car under or over steered. Or, the traction control would have kicked off the moment impending disaster was sensed. Anyway, if you have the Steptronic Auto and have the opportunity to experience this driving harmony on the right road, I know you'll be impressed with this little trick your car can do!"

huh?
Can't comment on what sounds like Dynamic Cruise Control but Skyline Drive is a beautiful road.