E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Force feedback on the iDrive; is mine broken?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an iDrive with force feedback. Whenever I scroll in the iPod control or the phonebook, the moment I scroll off the screen in a list it resists. I can still scroll down the list (for example to see all the entries that begin with A) but the controller is fighting me all the way.

The service guy at my local BMW garage says this is normal; surely not?
Old 02-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

Ya, it's normal - and one of the most disliked features of the force feedback.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='394938' date='Feb 24 2007, 02:27 AM
Ya, it's normal - and one of the most disliked features of the force feedback.
Interesting, below is a list of the 'Major' LCI Interior changes, it looks like force feeback (Operational) will be discontinued.

Another little item of interest is the front sliding armrest, I personally found it offensive that they were charging approx ?150 for this on pre LCI's, nice to know something which could be of use is now free, this includes floormats which i believe were chargable in the past too.

Sadly not all these goodies go to 520 LCI owners, no offence to anyone but i like the fact there is a difference between the budget end and the mid - premium.

Major interior changes:
- new door panels (including interior trim inserts)
- new centre console design with storage
- new steering wheel (centre insert design change)
- new controller (without operational feedback)
- centre console covered in leather whenever leather is specified (standard for 550i)
- all switches now have 'soft' edges (bevelled rather than sharp)
- new standard interior trim (plastic high gloss all models - wood for 550i SE / M Sport)
- 534 Air conditioning, with extended features standard for all models except 520d
- 473 Armrest - front with sliding adjustment standard for all models except 520d
- 423 Floor mats standard for all models
- 470 Child seat ISOFIX attachment, front standard for all models (with front
Old 02-27-2007, 03:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

Originally Posted by inkiboo' post='394927' date='Feb 23 2007, 08:28 PM
I've got an iDrive with force feedback. Whenever I scroll in the iPod control or the phonebook, the moment I scroll off the screen in a list it resists. I can still scroll down the list (for example to see all the entries that begin with A) but the controller is fighting me all the way.

The service guy at my local BMW garage says this is normal; surely not?

NORMAL
Old 02-27-2007, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's so normal that they've removed the force feedback feature on the current 2008 builds. The processor wasn't fast enough to keep up with the scrolling data, etc. so it was probably simpler to just eliminate the feature -- maybe someday in the future, on an entirely new version, we'll see this feature return with a faster processor...
Old 02-28-2007, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='396233' date='Feb 27 2007, 08:45 AM
It's so normal that they've removed the force feedback feature on the current 2008 builds. The processor wasn't fast enough to keep up with the scrolling data, etc. so it was probably simpler to just eliminate the feature -- maybe someday in the future, on an entirely new version, we'll see this feature return with a faster processor...

If the processor was to slow, why didn't they simply install a faster version of the processor and also add some more RAM?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Hopco' post='396672' date='Feb 28 2007, 11:03 AM
If the processor was to slow, why didn't they simply install a faster version of the processor and also add some more RAM?
I don't know for sure but I think it's not that simple. When these cars are designed and tested, they obviously engineer things to work together but you have to remember that they can't just grab a component off of Intel's shelf and slap it in. Usually, when designing a new car, they begin the testing and engineering years before an actual product is produced. The processors and/or RAM is often something that's integrated into circuit boards, etc. so it's not as modular as a PC, for example.

One big thing that many people don't take into consideration is the temperature extremes and harsh environmental issues associated with automotive electronics. The processors, etc. have to be able to continue functioning in the heat of the desert as well as in extreme cold. Once a processor is chosen, it's probably not very simple to just swap it out for a newer one without going through testing, etc. again.

It's likely that the F10 will have a newer, faster processor but until then, they probably found it easier to remove a feature that was processor intensive than to open a new can of worms, so to speak...
Old 02-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='395307' date='Feb 25 2007, 11:17 AM
Interesting, below is a list of the 'Major' LCI Interior changes, it looks like force feeback (Operational) will be discontinued.

Another little item of interest is the front sliding armrest, I personally found it offensive that they were charging approx ?150 for this on pre LCI's, nice to know something which could be of use is now free, this includes floormats which i believe were chargable in the past too.

Sadly not all these goodies go to 520 LCI owners, no offence to anyone but i like the fact there is a difference between the budget end and the mid - premium.
...they do this because they know we have more money left over to afford all the options!

I understand where you are coming from and think a more expensive "standard price" should also be rewarded with more features included "for free". However I do find it very frustrating that there are certain features, such as the single tail-pipe, that you cannot upgrade from the options list - not even put a chrome finish on it. Its as if we are being punished for taking the entry level engine, which is often because of company car / fuel / tax reasons, and after adding options the end price still ends up costing as much as or more than the next model up! Something very wrong about that :thumbsdown:

(sorry, a little off topic, but just had to let that out)
Old 02-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='396700' date='Feb 28 2007, 11:49 AM
I don't know for sure but I think it's not that simple. When these cars are designed and tested, they obviously engineer things to work together but you have to remember that they can't just grab a component off of Intel's shelf and slap it in. Usually, when designing a new car, they begin the testing and engineering years before an actual product is produced. The processors and/or RAM is often something that's integrated into circuit boards, etc. so it's not as modular as a PC, for example.

One big thing that many people don't take into consideration is the temperature extremes and harsh environmental issues associated with automotive electronics. The processors, etc. have to be able to continue functioning in the heat of the desert as well as in extreme cold. Once a processor is chosen, it's probably not very simple to just swap it out for a newer one without going through testing, etc. again.

It's likely that the F10 will have a newer, faster processor but until then, they probably found it easier to remove a feature that was processor intensive than to open a new can of worms, so to speak...
Thanks Rudy for your wise and considered observation.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='396700' date='Feb 28 2007, 08:49 AM

Actually, I think it is simpler that it seems. Not as simple as PC upgrade, but still. First, all car manufacturers seem to be quite poor in designing car computers, user interfaces and incorporating modern features in them. It seems there are not enough people with computer (as in working with human as opposed to running car functions) knowledge in auto industry. Look even at car mag reviewers - they despise computers. Sometimes it is not even about computers anyway. How long did it take car manufacturers to provide stupid aux input?

If equipment in the car cannot be changed for a few years (say, 3-4), then the most powerful computer must be selected. Not the cheapest. I think that actually bean counters force latter, not former. Or software has to be written with computer power in mind. Slow machine - write proper code. Do not implement something too comple to run on this computer. Not enough RAM? Well, why didn't you order enough? Simple look at computer power requirements tell that if you think today 1GB is enough, in 4 years 2GB won't be enough. So order at least 4 now if you can' upgrade until 5 years from now. Or order computer to be upgradeable. Or make car in a way you can install faster computer 2 years down the row. After all, Air Force upgrades avionics in fighters all the time. They are not buying new planes all the time, aren't they.

There is no indication that slow computer is more reliable. It is cheaper, sure, but not necessarily more reliable. That's where, I think, the real explanation is. People will buy car anyway, so why bother?

Quick Reply: Force feedback on the iDrive; is mine broken?