E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

folding mirrors retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was wondering if all E60s have the wiring loom preinstalled for the auto folding mirrors and just the coding/panel is needed.
i read somewhere that some do while some don't.
mine is manufactured 09/2005 and doesn't come with auto folding mirrors.
anyone know if mine might have it? or how to check without taking the door panel apart?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I don't think its about the wiring loom but more of the physical motor inside the mirror and then coding.

For example all US pre-LCI non-M5 have no folding mirror option available so all (up to 2007) US model have no folding motor inside the side mirror housing.
In my case I bought an M5 mirror and w/o re-wiring just after I did proper coding I can enable the folding using remote key fob even with out folding mirror button by the driver door.

There are bunch of ECUs that control most of the stuff in our car, in your case the door module (w/ proper coding) will tell the ECM behind the side mirror to activate the folding motor but it's rather pointless if there's no motor to actuate.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

yeah thats what i've been wondering if i buy one of the m5 power folding mirrors (do they have the motor built-in?), and hook them up, then just code the car so they auto fold from the keyfob. i don't really care about the button beside the window controls. or will the connections not be the same?

according to http://realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?mo...01&hg=51&fg=10 there was an option for a fold-in mirror for my car.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

Yes my M5 mirror has power folding motor in it. As just like mine it'll fold via remote key fob by just a simple coding.

All the wires & connections are the same with or without folding option the ECU/ECM control the motor, you don't have to buy M5 mirror regular standard mirror will fold as long as there is a motor in it. For example after Sept. '05 the mirror changed to only has 1 plug w/ 3 (maybe 4) wires only 'cuz BMW moved the door module (from each door) into a body gateway module (a single module behind the glove box) but model before that I think have 3 plugs and many more wires but same wiring so you can have folding motor but if the car have no idea (w/o proper coding) it'll not fold.

If you think the other way around, right now, you can get coding for folding mirror on your car but since your mirror has no motor it'll not fold.

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
yeah thats what i've been wondering if i buy one of the m5 power folding mirrors (do they have the motor built-in?), and hook them up, then just code the car so they auto fold from the keyfob. i don't really care about the button beside the window controls. or will the connections not be the same?

according to http://realoem.com/b...801&hg=51&fg=10 there was an option for a fold-in mirror for my car.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Senior Members

hmm so it seems my car was manufactured right on that date meaning it could be either. but i think there is no motor in and i don't really want to take the door apart to just have a peek.
where did you get your mirrors by the way?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

You can pop the glass of your mirror off and peek to see if there's a motor on the pivot, but usually if there's a motor you'll likely have a folding button by the driver door.

I got my M5 mirrors from a member here almost 3 yrs ago he's from Netherlands ...

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
hmm so it seems my car was manufactured right on that date meaning it could be either. but i think there is no motor in and i don't really want to take the door apart to just have a peek.
where did you get your mirrors by the way?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Senior Members

is it possible that some of the wiring for the mirrors can be fibre optics?
was looking at some online shops for a pair of mirrors and its mentioned that if the wiring is fibre it won't work
Old 03-16-2011, 01:43 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The wiring for the mirror is not fiber. I have an aftermarket module for sale that will allow you to power fold your mirrors without any coding. PM me if you are interested.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you go about programming the coding for power folding mirrors on the ecu of a 550 that didnt come with them. Also does anyone know of a good source to get M5 mirrors.