E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Folding mirrors problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:02 AM
rah
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525dA LCI 08, space grey, M-tech, Advantage, Comfort, Nav Pro 8.8, voice, black dakota, seat heating front and back, active steering, comfort access, comfort seats, glasroof, auxiliary heating, head-up, night vision, bluetooth, DVD multimedia package in backseat, satin chrom, auto headlight control, PDC, adaptive headlights, CDC, HIFI, remaped 240hp 500nm

Hi

I have an 525 sedan 08 with power folding mirrors.
I have a problem with the driver side mirror. When I unlock the door the whole mirror house is rotating and pointing forward. I have tried to move it manually but as soon I unlock the door or use the button inside the car the mirror moves to this position.

I have checked with the dealer and they sad that I have to change the whole mirror. Approx 1300 Euro.

Is there a way to easily open the mirror. Any pictures, drawings, DIY? I have got a tips that it could be a pin or spring inside the mirror that is stuck.

Anyone experienced the same problem?
Old 06-10-2010, 06:08 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

You can pop the mirror from the clip to see the back of it and maybe open it up to access the motor by removing some screws behind it but if you need access to the triangular portion that attached to the door you have to access it from behind the door tweeter and it may get complicated 'cuz to safely remove the door panel you maybe have to disconnect the air bag and to avoid warning due to that you have to disconnect the battery.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:22 AM
Members

Is your car out of warranty already? If not, then this should be covered.

1300 euro is outrageous, especially for one mirror. I paid about that price to buy brand new oem m5 mirrors, painted.

If the mirror really does need to be replaced, then you should be able to find some used ones or even new for a fraction of the 1300 euro. I have a set, but you may want to try to find something a little more local.

Installation is pretty simple. You should only have pull the door trim back enough to be able to disconnect the wiring to the mirror. If you disconnect the battery, the airbag is not an issue. Let me know if you would like more info. I should have someone else's diy around that I used.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Try resetting the mirror position...

I found the procedure somewhere (I think on this forum) when I had the same issue (although mine don't unfold automatically on unlocking - Cdn spec) of my mirror unfolding until it was pointed all the way forward. If I recall correctly, the reset involved folding the mirrors out, then manually forcing the casing to fully-folded position (break-away position, disengages from the positioning motor), then pushing the button to fold the mirror again... you hear a few clicks as the motor attempts to re-fold the already folded mirror.

I'll try to fink the link, or possibly someone else can remember the procedure (or has a SA they can check with)
Old 06-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

If the other suggestions don't work then I suggest you go to an approved BMW autobody/collision shop. After my accident, the drivers mirror was not functioning when I picked up the car. It only took a max of 10 minutes for a professional to strip the door interior and reconnect the mirror wiring. An autobody pro should be able to solve your problem for minimal cost.