E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

fog light

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

tuesday i changed my oem fog lights to Hoen bulb to macth the xenon, this morning it blew up, so all the shattered glass is now inside the foglamps, i was really careful in installing them coz i know that if you touched the bulb it may cause that, now i have to get a new set thats fine!! the problem is how can i clean up the mess inside the foglamps?? can someone help me, is it easy to take off the foglamps?? or you have to take out the whole bumper to do that?? any ideas fellas??? TIA!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Too hot bulbs.

More Watts = more heat.

I know some people who changed their 60 W headlight bulbs to 100 W ones.
Very expensive 'couse they melted their light clusters.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='727742' date='Nov 21 2008, 10:09 AM
Too hot bulbs.

More Watts = more heat.

I know some people who changed their 60 W headlight bulbs to 100 W ones.
Very expensive 'couse they melted their light clusters.
its also 12v/55w and how come its only the left one that blew up??
Old 11-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Contributors

i did not increase in wattage but just change the color to match the HL
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Contributors

what if i just vacuum it?? any ideas guys??
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by BALASUBAS' post='727751' date='Nov 21 2008, 08:16 PM
i did not increase in wattage but just change the color to match the HL
The heat problem is the only one I can imagine.
Could be a overheating of the whole system as well, but I doubt it, the fuse should have blown before the glass.

Ie at home I have "energy saving" light bulbs that are like 230 V / 16 W but they give out
light as a normal "old fashioned" 230 V / 60 W bulb.

Light = heat

Try to find out the heat output of your new bulbs.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Contributors

this is the one i got and if i'm not mistaken some member use these kind of bulbs too
http://www.hoen-usa.com/fog2.htm
Old 11-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Contributors

i was able to clean some of the glass inside now i thinking of what bulb to get?? any advice guys??
Old 11-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Contributors

just wanna share, i sent an email to HOEN USA for my busted bulb and they'll send me a new pair!! its very nice of them
Old 11-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Many have been using PIAAs... I've had mine for almost 4 years and they never blew... I dont use it that often though.

Quick Reply: fog light